Samsung Galaxy Alpha made its way to the world back in August, 2014. The Galaxy Alpha was a little different from Samsung’s traditional devices since it boasted off a new design and a little different build quality. Samsung used a Super AMOLED 4.7-inch screen on the front with a resolution of 720 x 1280 pixels and 312 ppi. Galaxy Alpha had a 12 MP camera on its back and a 2.1 MP shooter on the front. Galaxy Alpha’s internal storage was 32 GB and there was no external card slot. A RAM of 2GB and Exynos 5430 Octa CPU powered up this device. Galaxy Alpha originally ran on Android 4.4 KitKat out of the box. Later on Samsung updated it to Android 5.0.2 Lollipop. After the Android Lollipop, Samsung probably forgot this device and there hasn’t been any further version of Android available for this device nor there is any sign of any update.
When manufacturers stop the software update for one of their old devices, it always restricts the users with the same software where the updates stopped for the rest of the life. The new versions of Android keep pouring in and it is quite frustrating having yourself stuck on one software and not being able to update. To kill this frustration, custom ROM developers always try to pull out custom firmwares for the devices with no further official software support. For the Galaxy Alpha, XDA Senior member sunsettrack4 has managed to compile the Resurrection Remix ROM based on Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow. You heard it right, it’s all new Android 6.0.1 now.
Using the Resurrection Remix ROM on your Galaxy Alpha, you can enjoy all new features of the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow which you wouldn’t have been able to do so otherwise. The ROM does not only bring the features of Android 6.0.1 only, but it brings its own exclusive features as well. Resurrection Remix’s build for Galaxy Alpha is light, stable, has a nice battery consumption and also has a nice performance. The ROM doesn’t contain any major bugs, we can safely call it a daily driver. Have a look at the Resurrection Remix Marshmallow features to checkout if it fits your needs or not.
Willing to install this ROM on your Galaxy Alpha now? It’s time for us to get a hang of how to install it. The comprehensive guide coming your way will help you to update your Galaxy Alpha G850F, G850FQ, G850M and G850Y to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow Resurrection Remix ROM. Go through the installation preparations now and flash it right away.
- This ROM will only work with the variants of the Galaxy Alpha which are listed above. Do not try this on any other variant. Otherwise you will result in bricking it.
- Your phone should be charged up to 50%. This is important to avoid any power issues during the flashing process.
- Root your Galaxy Alpha. Here’s how to root your Galaxy Alpha.
- Download TWRP Recovery.img file for your Galaxy Alpha.
- Flash the download Recovery.img file using Flashify. (If you already have a TWRP recovery flashed, skip this step.)
- Create a Nandroid backup of your existing ROM using backup option in TWRP.
- Backup your EFS partition. Also backup your important contacts, call logs and sms messages.
- Follow the instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap.
DISCLAIMER: FLASHING CUSTOM RECOVERY AND ROOTING THE DEVICE VOID ITS WARRANTY. IN CASE OF A MISHAP, TECHBEASTS OR SAMSUNG MAY NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE. MAKE SURE THAT YOU’RE DOING EVERYTHING AT YOUR OWN RISK AND WITH YOUR FULL UNDERSTANDING.
How to Update Galaxy Alpha to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow Resurrection Remix Custom ROM
- Make sure that your phone has a TWRP recovery installed.
- Now download the latest build of Resurrection Remix ROM: ResurrectionRemix-M-vxxxxxxxxxxxx-slte.zip
- Download the Google GApps.zip file according to your liking: GApps.zip
- Copy both the downloaded .zip files to your phone’s internal SD card.
- Now boot your phone into recovery mode. To do so, first turn it off completely. Now turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home + Power Key.
- In TWRP Recovery, tap install > locate the copied ROM.zip file > Select it > Swipe finger to flash it.
- Once the ROM.zip file has been flashed, go back to the main menu. Once again tap install > locate the GApps.zip file > Select it > Swipe finger to flash it.
- Now that both files have been flashed, go back to the main menu and tap Wipe > Advanced Wipe > Select Dalvik Cache and Cache > Swipe finger to wipe.
- Once done, reboot your phone.
- As your phone boots up, it will be running on Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow Resurrection Remix ROM.
- That’s all.
The first boot may take up to 10 minutes, so there is no need to panic in this while. In case something goes wrong after flashing the ROM, you can restore your Nandroid backup. You can also go back to your stock firmware. Here’s a guide on how to install stock firmware on your Samsung Galaxy Alpha.
In case you’ve got any issues, drop your query in the comments or reach us out through our contact us page.
Latest posts by Usama M (see all)
- Google Camera 4.2.022.135443920 APK – Download - October 22, 2016
- Download Critical Ops for Windows PC and Mac - October 21, 2016
- Install Official Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on Galaxy Tab S 8.4 T700/T705 - October 19, 2016