The Xperia SP brought a mid-range price with a lot of technology in the year 2013 borrowed from its predecessor, Xperia Z. The device shipped with Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean which is far away to the trend & technology. The news from the center is there’s an Official Android Oreo-based LineageOS 15.1 build to this device. The LineageOS 15.1 is an extremely stable ROM. It’s heavily skinned & tweaked for better performance. It has got all those features a common user needs & is quite stable. Here is a simple guide on how to Install Official LineageOS 15.1 ROM on Sony Xperia SP.
The device itself is a step down from the 5-inch models that have dominated 2013’s headlines. Its screen doesn’t reach the giddy heights of the FullHD display on the Xperia Z, but it’s still no slouch for a mid-range handset, as its 4.6-inch frame packs in a resolution of 1280×720 pixels. The bezel around the screen is instead covered in glossy plastic, while there’s a matt finish on the removable rear cover. The Sony Xperia SP sports an 8-megapixel Exmor RS rear camera with autofocus and LED flash also it leaves outburst mode. It features a VGA front-facing camera. The front camera is strictly functional and can be used for casual video chats.
LineageOS 15.1 ROM
The LineageOS 15.1 is an extremely stable ROM. It’s heavily skinned & tweaked for better performance. It has got all those features a common user needs. LineageOS ROMs are quite stable. They are ROMs just ported from the CM branch. No major changes are there between the initial LineageOS builds and the last CM builds. If you observe Google’s vanilla Android OS and Lineage OS, you’ll find a lot of granular settings in the latter. You can customize your device to your own taste and have more security options as well. You might experience random reboots and minor glitches in the functionality but its splendid customizations drop shadow over them.
- Charge your device at least 50% before flashing the ROM.
- Backup your device to make sure you’ve all the important data if something doesn’t go as per the plan.
- Make sure you have a proper TWRP installed on your device. Download the TWRP link here, and follow this guide to Install TWRP on any Android device.
Download the Gapps and Official OS ROM for Xperia SP to your device’s storage.
How to Install Official LineageOS 15.1 ROM on Sony Xperia SP
- Make sure you have the TWRP recovery installed on your phone.
- Also, ensure that you have copied the Gapps and Official OS 15.1 ROM files after installing TWRP.
- Power down your smartphone.
- Boot in recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Volume Down and Power Button at the same time. When the screen flickers, release all buttons and you will see the recovery screen in a few seconds.
- Make a nandroid backup of your device in TWRP recovery. To do this, navigate to Backup option, select the partitions available and swipe right to make a backup.
- Format your device, once the backup is completed.
- In TWRP recovery, click on Wipe » Advanced Wipe. Select data, system, cache and, Dalvik-cache on this page and wipe them.
- In the TWRP, click on Install » Install Zip » Locate and select the Official OS ROM file. Swipe screen to flash this file.
- Similarly, flash the Gapps for Android Pie.
- In the end, get back to the main menu in TWRP and click on Wipe » Advanced Wipe » Select Cache & Dalvik Cache » Swipe screen to wipe.
- After wiping, reboot your device.
That’s all. The first boot will take some time as it needs to build the cache. Once the device boots up, you can see the Android Pie setup screen.