HTC U11 Eyes has received an official build of TWRP custom recovery. The latest version of TWRP i.e. TWRP 3.2.3-0 is now is now available for hay (codename for HTC U11 Eyes). With the help of this latest TWRP for HTC U11 Eyes, you can also root the phone. To root the phone, Magisk will be flashed right after flashing the TWRP recovery. In this guide, a tutorial is given below to install TWRP Recovery and Root HTC U11 Eyes. Before jumping up to the method, we will refresh our knowledge about the HTC U11 Eyes.
HTC U11 Eyes Flashback
The HTC U11 Eyes was released in January 2018. HTC U11 Eyes is a mid-range smartphone carrying an affordable price tag. This phone has a 6.0-inch Super LCD3 display on the front. It has a display ratio of 18:9 which means there is no home button on this phone, and yes, there is no notch either. The HTC U11’s display has a resolution of 1080 x 2160 pixels. The phone is water and dust resistant with the help of IP67 certification.
HTC has powered this phone up by Qualcomm Snapdragon 652 CPU accompanied by Adreno 510 GPU. The phone comes with a RAM of 4GB and internal storage of 64GB. At the back, this phone has a 12MP camera. It has a dual camera system on the front having both the shooters of 5MP. There is a whopping 3,930 mAh battery in this phone. It ran on Android Oreo out of the box which means this phone has Project Treble support as well.
TWRP Recovery for HTC U11 Eyes
Since the HTC U11 Eyes is a Project Treble-enabled smartphone, the perks of installing TWRP recovery on this phone are definitely more than any other phone.
A TWRP recovery on the HTC U11 Eyes simply means that you are free to flash any Android GSI custom ROM. Now there are builds of LineageOS, Resurrection Remix, and even Pixel Experience ROM in the form of Generic System Image. There is a build of Android Pie GSI available as well. All these GSI builds can be flashed on the HTC U11 Eyes via a TWRP recovery. Other than this, there is a number of custom ROMs that are particularly cooked for this phone.
With the TWRP Recovery, the users can also root the phone by flashing a root package like Magisk or SuperSU. There is a backup option in the TWRP allowing the users to copy each and every single partition of the phone. The wipe options make it easy for HTC U11 Eyes owners to wipe the partition of their choice. TWRP Recovery also has its own terminal to flash commands in the phone.
Magisk for HTC U11 Eyes
As mentioned above, we will be using Magisk to root the HTC U11. Now if you are wondering what are the perks of rooting your phone via Magisk, then the answer is that there is not one. There are hundreds of advantages of rooting your Android handset. After rooting, you can completely change the UI of your phone with the help of available MODs. Boosting the battery life and performance of your phone is also possible only after rooting the phone. A new door of opportunities opens up to unleash the true power of your phone after rooting it.
While a custom recovery and root access have loads of advantages, they have the downsides as well. For example, in order to flash a custom recovery, you have to unlock the bootloader of your phone. Unlocking the bootloader wipes the phone and also voids the warranty. So, if you are planning to do this with your HTC U11 Eyes, make sure that you do it at your own risk.
Install TWRP Recovery and Root HTC U11 Eyes
- This guide is only for the HTC U11 Eyes.
- Charge our phone’s battery up to 50% to avoid power loss.
- Backup each and everything on your phone.
- Use OEM Data Cable to connect HTC U11 Eyes to the computer.
- Enable OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging on your phone.
- Unlock HTC U11 Eyes bootloader.
- Follow the remaining steps carefully.
- Minimal ADB and Fastboot Drivers
- As a result of installing these drivers, you will get the following folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot
- HTC Android USB Drivers
- Rename this file to only “twrp.img”. Copy the twrp.img file to C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot.
- Magisk.zip file
Flashing TWRP custom recovery on HTC U11 Eyes
- On your computer, open the Minimal ADB and Fastboot.exe file from your desktop or open the cmd-here.exe file from the ADB drivers installation directory.
- Connect your phone to the computer now.
- In the command window, enter the following commands one by one.
- adb reboot download
- If the phone asks for any permission, allow it. Your phone will now reboot into the bootloader mode and it is ready for flashing.
- fastboot flash twrp.img
- This command will flash the TWRP recovery on the phone.
- fastboot reboot
- This command will reboot your phone into the newly installed TWRP recovery.
- adb reboot download
- Now follow the procedure given below to root the phone.
Root HTC U11 Eyes
- While you are in the TWRP recovery, click on Mount and mount all the partitions.
- If you disconnected your phone, connect it to your computer once again.
- Copy the Magisk.zip file to your phone.
- Get back to the TWRP recovery and click on Install > Install Zip > Locate and select Magisk.zip > Swipe to flash.
- Magisk will be flashed now. Reboot into the system after installation.
- Find Magisk Manager in the App Drawer. Your phone is rooted.
Recovery installed, rooted the phone, what’s next?
Now that you have installed recovery and rooted your phone as well, here are some of the important guides that you can use.
- Get Android Pie GSI on any Android phone [Project Treble]
- Reasons to root the Android phone in 2018
- 30+ Best Root Apps for Android in 2018
That’s all. You are now free to upgrade your phone to a better custom ROM or modify it the way you want. If you have any queries, feel free to reach out to me through the comment box below. Don’t forget to drop your feedback regarding this tutorial.