Samsung’s most recent handsets Galaxy S9 & S9+ launched in March this year. The flawless screen is obviously better than the past adaptation and it gives a superior, well-constructed feel of the updated one. The device is truly a work of art. In order to get rid of junk apps, bloatware, and install custom ROMs & firmware, users would be eager to root their devices. However, dr.ketan recognized developer from XDA gave the key to Root Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus with Official Magisk.
The display is arguably the most prominent part of the S9 & S9+. Both the devices share the resolution of 1440 x 2960 pixels varying in the display size. The screen is also OLED which means each pixel lights itself up which makes for amazing viewing angles and a beautiful image. This also allows for features like always on display which only lights the pixels that display time when the phone is asleep. The S9 comes with the single rear camera with 12MP while the S9+ packs a dual camera port with 12MP+12MP.
Root the Device
Root Android is the best thing we can apply on Android for doing everything we wanted. Also, this will make you a superuser of your Android. The process requires users to back up current software and install a new custom ROM. It is the process of allowing users of smartphones, tablets and other devices running the Android mobile operating system to attain Root access over various Android sub-systems. There will be no pre-loaded bloatware to ruin.
If you don’t have any knowledge about Rooting, you would probably end up making your mobile bricked or boot loop. with superuser permission granted an app can access all your data and there are many apps in this market which are made by evil hackers so they can misuse your data. Also, users will lose Samsung Pay and Secure Folder features forever after rooting the device. Currently, you can’t get these features back even if you unroot your device.
Follow the below process to easily Install TWRP & Root Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus with Official Magisk.
- This guide is only for the Galaxy S9 & S9 Plus. Do not try this on any other phone.
- Charge your phone good enough so that it doesn’t go dead during the installation process.
- Backup your call logs, contacts and SMS messages. Also backup your media content. This is important since unlocking the bootloader will completely wipe your phone.
- Enable OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging mode on your device.
- Use the OEM data cable to connect your phone to your PC.
- Your device must not be RMM locked. Given below are the ways to identify the RMM lock.
- Reboot to download mode. If you see the text RMM state = Prenormal, then it means your device is RMM locked.
- The OEM unlock option is not available under the Developer options after you have enabled it. If it’s not available, then that is because your device is RMM locked. It should be available normally.
- When you boot to recovery mode again, you get the message “Only official released binaries are allowed to be flashed”. This also means that your Galaxy S9/S9 Plus 2018 is RMM locked.
Download TWRP Recovery for Galaxy S9/S9+
- Samsung USB drivers
- Download Odin3 v3.13.1 on your PC and extract it to get Odin3.exe.
- TWRP for Galaxy S9
- TWRP for Galaxy S9+
- latest no-verity-opt-encrypt zip
- Magisk 17.1
- Magisk Manager
Install TWRP & Root Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus with Official Magisk
Install TWRP on Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus
- Boot Galaxy S9/S9+ into download mode. To do this follow the below steps.
- Switch off your device. Now press and hold the Volume Down + Power + Bixby together till you see a warning screen.
- Once Press Volume Up button to confirm to enter into Download Mode.
- Download and open Odin3 v3.13.1.exe on your PC and then connect your Galaxy S9/S9+ to the PC with a USB cable.
- When Odin recognizes your device you’ll be shown as Added!! message in log box. If it was not showing, reinstall the drivers.
- The ID:COM port in Odin will turn yellow if you have installed correct drivers.
- Download the TWRP file in your PC and load it into Odin. To do this, click on the AP button on Odin and select the TWRP file.
- Go to the options tab to check whether Re-partition and Auto Reboot checkboxes are selected or not. If they were selected deselect them.
- Click on the Start button and the TWRP file will be installed on your Galaxy S9/S9+. It’ll be ended up with the message PASS! on successful installation of TWRP recovery.
- Repeat the process if you got any error.
- Force reboot and access the recovery mode again to get to TWRP recovery. To do this
- Press and hold Volume down + Power button together until the screen goes off, but once the screen goes off, do this quickly: while still holding the Power button, press Volume Up in place of Volume down button to reboot into recovery mode.
- You’ll be now welcomed with TWRP home screen and it will be asking you for “allow for System modification”. Tap on the “Keep Read Only” button to not allow system modification and access TWRP safely.
- Click on Reboot>>System.
That’s it TWRP is now installed on your device.
Root Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus with Official Magisk
- Disconnect your device and hold Vol down + power till screen goes off, thereby press Vol Up + Bixby + Power immediately to reboot to TWRP.
- Swipe to confirm Allow for system modifications.
- Now navigate to WIPE menu & Format the Data.
- You need to type Yes to perform the wipe. However, this will erase all data including internal SD storage from the device.
- Once formatting completes, revert back to REBOOT Menu followed by RECOVERY, this will reboot to TWRP again.
- Navigate to install menu and flash the no-verity-opt-encrypt zip.
- Once the flashing process is completed, flash the Magisk file similarly.
- There is an option added to flash OEM patched kernel for S9+ users (not for S9 users), you can select this option to make a more secure OEM issue.
- Once flash successfully completed, Reboot to System & unplug the device from the PC.
- However, you should see that Magisk Manager is properly installed. You can download the Magisk Manager app from the downloads section and install it manually if it is not installed.
That’s all. You have successfully installed TWRP & Root Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus with Official Magisk.