Xiaomi is yet to release the Android 9.0 Pie based update to its devices. But a lot of Xiaomi devices are already getting custom ROM ports based on Android 9.0 Pie. The Xiaomi Mi 5 is one of the popular devices from Xiaomi and it’s inevitable that it receives the latest custom ROMs. The XDA developer bgcngm has already released the Lineage OS 16 ROM based on Android 9.0 Pie. As it will take quite a time before the official Pie update from Xiaomi, you can try the latest Android features by installing Lineage OS 16 ROM on Xiaomi Mi 5 smartphone.
The Mi 5 smartphone is power-packed with the Snapdragon 820 CPU paired with Adreno 530 GPU and possess a 3/4 GB RAM based on the storage variant. The screen is a standard Full HD (1080 x 1920 pixels) with 16:9 ratio and 428 PPI pixel density. On the camera end, the Mi 5 boasts a 16 MP rear camera and a 4 MP selfie camera. It is backed up by a 3000 non-removable battery which would last a day on moderate usage. The device was launched with Android 6.0 Marshmallow out-of-the-box but an upgrade is available to Android 8.0 Oreo. Now, you can update it to Android 9.0 Pie using Lineage OS 16 ROM.
Install Lineage OS 16 ROM on Xiaomi Mi 5
Lineage OS 16 ROM bring stock Android experience to your smartphone. It is based on the latest Android 9.0 Pie and includes the general features of Lineage OS. The ROM contains little or no bloatware and gives the best performance. The LOS 16 ROM for Mi 5 is still in the early build stages, so you might expect some bugs. As of now, the only feature that is missing is VoLTE which is a great deal for many users.
Apart from VoLTE, most of the major features still work. Also, a majority of the XDA users have reported the ROM to be working great. So, if you’re interested, below are the features that are working and missing from the current build.
- Camera (and flashlight)
- Telephony (Calls and Data)
- Audio (Record and Playback)
- Video Playback
Not Working Yet
- HW crypto (FDE)
- VoLTE (not confirmed)
If you have made up your mind to try this ROM on your Mi 5, follow the below instructions carefully and your device will run Android Pie in a few minutes.
Install Android 9.0 Pie Based Lineage OS 16 ROM on Xiaomi Mi 5
- This ROM is only for the Xiaomi Mi 5.
- Charge your device at least 50% before flashing the ROM.
- Backup your device to make sure you’ve all the important data if something doesn’t go as per the plan.
- Install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Mi 5
Download the Gapps and Lineage OS ROM for Mi 5 to your device’s storage.
How to Install Lineage OS 16 on Mi 5
- Make sure you have the TWRP recovery installed on your phone.
- Also, ensure that you have copied the Gapps and Lineage OS 16 ROM files after installing TWRP.
- Power down your smartphone.
- Press and hold Volume Up + Power button for about 5 seconds. Release the Power key when Mi logo appears and continue holding Volume Up button until the recovery mode appears.
- Make a nandroid backup of your device in TWRP recovery. To do this, navigate to Backup option, select the partitions available and swipe right to make a backup.
- Format your device, once the backup is completed.
- In TWRP recovery, click on Wipe » Advanced Wipe. Select data, system, cache and, Dalvik-cache on this page and wipe them.
- In the TWRP, click on Install » Install Zip » Locate and select the Lineage OS ROM file. Swipe screen to flash this file.
- Similarly, flash the Gapps for Android Pie.
- In the end, get back to the main menu in TWRP and click on Wipe » Advanced Wipe » Select Cache & Dalvik Cache » Swipe screen to wipe.
- After wiping, reboot your device.
That’s all. The first boot will take some time as it needs to build cache. Once the device boots up, you can see the Android Pie setup screen.