Google launched the latest version of Android recently with the name “Android Pie.” It comes with a bunch of new features, better battery optimizations, and revamped notifications. Although it takes some time for the manufacturers to release official Android Pie update for their smartphones, the custom ROMs are already out. Lineage OS 16 which is based on Android 9.0 Pie is available for a bunch of devices already and Redmi Note 4 is one of them. Currently, the Lineage OS 16 on Redmi Note 4 is unofficial but we hope the official version of LOS 16 will be out.
In this article, we will show you how to install Lineage OS 16 on Redmi Note 4 Snapdragon variant. You should be aware that there is a Chinese variant of Note 4 which is slightly different from Global variant. The Global variant runs on Snapdragon 625 CPU while the Chinese variant runs on MediaTek’s Deca Core Helio X20 CPU. As you can see, the CPU’s are completely different, so the ROM for one variant won’t be compatible with the other. So, make sure you have the Redmi Note 4 Snapdragon variant before your install the Lineage OS 16 ROM.
Lineage OS 16 for Redmi Note 4 Snapdragon
Lineage OS is a popular after-market custom ROM for Android phones and it runs stock Android OS with a wide variety of customizations. If you observe Google’s vanilla Android OS and Lineage OS, you’ll find a lot of granular settings in the latter. You can customize your device to your own taste and have more security options as well. The Lineage OS 16 ROM is based on Android 9.0 Pie and is still in the early build phase. So, you may experience some bugs and performance issues but they will most likely get sorted out with regular updates.
If you’re looking to install Lineage OS 16 on Redmi Note 4, you should keep in mind that the encryption doesn’t work yet. You can find the list of features working and the known issues below.
- RIL (Calls, SMS, Data)
- IR Blaster
- Video Playback
Without any further ado, let’s see how to install Lineage OS 16 on Redmi Note 4 Snapdragon variant.
Install Android 9.0 Pie Based Lineage OS 16 on Redmi Note 4 Snapdragon
- This ROM is only for the Redmi Note 4 Snapdragon Variant.
- Charge your device at least 50% before flashing the ROM.
- Backup your device to make sure you’ve all the important data if something doesn’t go as per the plan.
- Install TWRP Recovery on Redmi Note 4
Download the Gapps and Lineage OS ROM for Redmi Note 4 Snapdragon to your device’s storage.
- Lineage OS 16 for Redmi Note 4 Snapdragon
- Gapps for Android Pie Lineage OS 16
How to Install Lineage OS 16 on Redmi Note 4 Snapdragon
- Make sure you have the TWRP recovery installed on your phone.
- Also, ensure that you have copied the Gapps and Lineage OS 16 ROM files after installing TWRP.
- Power down your smartphone.
- Press and hold Volume Up + Power button for about 5 seconds. Release the Power key when Mi logo appears and continue holding Volume Up button until the recovery mode appears.
- Make a nandroid backup of your device in TWRP recovery. To do this, navigate to Backup option, select the partitions available and swipe right to make a backup.
- Format your device, once the backup is completed.
- In TWRP recovery, click on Wipe » Advanced Wipe. Select data, system, cache and, Dalvik-cache on this page and wipe them.
- In the TWRP, click on Install » Install Zip » Locate and select the Lineage OS ROM file. Swipe screen to flash this file.
- Similarly, flash the Gapps for Android Pie.
- In the end, get back to the main menu in TWRP and click on Wipe » Advanced Wipe » Select Cache & Dalvik Cache » Swipe screen to wipe.
- After wiping, reboot your device.
That’s all. The first boot will take some time as it needs to build cache. Once the device boots up, you can see the Android Pie setup screen.