Xiaomi is one of the best-growing smartphone manufacturers in the world and mainly holds its footprint in Asain countries. The Mi 5s is one of their best devices with a clean design. It comes with Android 6.0 Marshmallow out-of-the-box but can be upgraded to Android Nougat. But if you go beyond Nougat into the Oreo and Android Pie realm, you’ll have to install TWRP on Xiaomi Mi 5s. Then, you can install endless custom ROMs which can bring new features and security updates to your device.
The Mi 5s is powered by Snapdragon 821 chipset and Adreno 530 GPU coupled with 3/4 GB RAM based on the storage variant. As you can see, the Mi 5s boasts a high-end configuration placing the device among other medium-high range mobiles. It comes with a beautiful Full HD display with 16:9 aspect ratio and 428 Pixel density. However, the 3200 mAh battery is on the low side but it can last a day on moderate usage.
TWRP for Xiaomi Mi 5s
Xiaomi Mi 5s has received the official TWRP support and you can download the latest TWRP image from the official TWRP site. Currently, the latest version of TWRP available for Xiaomi Mi 5s is 126.96.36.199 and you’ll get regular updates from teamwin project.
Having TWRP recovery on your devices has a number of advantages. You can make a complete nandroid backup of your device and restore them when your device faces some issue. Also, you can install multiple mods and custom ROMs to keep your device up to date. Some other perks include wiping individual partitions of your device, flashing SU binaries to root your device and much more.
So, without any further ado, let’s see how to install TWRP on Xiaomi Mi 5s device.
- This guide is only for the Xiaomi Mi 5s. Do not try this on any other phone.
- Charge your phone good enough so that it doesn’t go dead during the installation process.
- Backup your call logs, contacts and SMS messages. Also backup your media content. This is important since unlocking the bootloader will completely wipe your phone.
- Enable OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging mode on your Mi 5s.
- Use the OEM data cable to connect your phone to your PC.
- Unlock your bootloader
- Download and install Minimal ADB and Fastboot drivers on your computer.
- Install Xiaomi USB drivers on your computer and install them.
- Download the latest TWRP image file from here. Rename this file to recovery.img and copy it to the ADB and Fastboot folder.
How to Install TWRP on Xiaomi Mi 5s
- Navigate to the folder where you have installed ADB and fastboot files on your computer.
- Connect your device to the PC using a USB cable.
- Open a command prompt window from the ADB and Fastboot folder [Press shift key + right-click on any blank space of the folder] and then select “Open command window here” from the context menu.
- Execute the below command to reboot to bootloader.
adb reboot bootloader
- Make sure the “recovery.img” file is in the fastboot folder and use the below command to flash it on your device.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- It will take a couple of seconds for the TWRP recovery image to flash.
- Once the flashing process is complete, reboot the device.
That’s all. You can now try to enter TWRP mode on your Mi 5s by holding Volume Up + Power button.