Own a Xiaomi Mi and want to modify it? You need to unlock its bootloader first. The bootloader of Xiaomi Mi phones is locked by default. The company doesn’t allow modifying your phone without unlocking its bootloader. There is a reason why the smartphone manufacturers have the bootloaders locked on their devices. The basic purpose of the bootloader is to check your operating system whether it’s safe and sound or not.
What is a bootloader?
The bootloader of an Android smartphone has the kernel code which helps the phone boot up. If the bootloader is modified or the system is modified, the kernel code fails to execute and thus results in failing the boot. Keeping the bootloader in a way is good for the security of consumers. By disallowing the installation of third-party custom ROMs, manufacturers like Xiaomi can control the potential chances of hackers breaking through their devices.
Custom ROMs and mods do not have a verified code or a secure-to-use certificate, which is why manufacturers never ever recommend the installation of anything custom. By flashing a custom recovery on your phone or by rooting your phone, you are putting your device at a risk. You are also accepting the fact that you are going to lose the warranty and you no longer care about the official software updates for your phone. This doesn’t mean you will never ever be able to update your phone, there are flash tools to install a software manually on your phone. You can always unroot your phone, restore everything back to stock, but you can never get the warranty back.
Flashing a custom ROM or rooting your phone doesn’t mean that you are always putting yourself at a risk. If you have a know-how of how the custom things work, you can play absolutely safe. Before flashing any custom script, you have to keep a few things in your mind. You may check whether the customization is coming from a well-reputed developer or not, and also how much popular that specific piece is. Another way to check a custom ROM, recovery or a mod is by reading the reviews given by users. As long as you know what you are doing, you are all good to unlock the bootloader of your device.
How To Unlock Xiaomi Mi Bootloader
Assuming that you have a clear idea of what a bootloader is, what are the consequences of unlocking it and how you can put yourself on a safe side, we can now proceed with the guide. Xiaomi Mi users can follow this tutorial to unlock Xiaomi Mi Bootloader. Unlike the bootloader unlock procedure of other smartphone manufacturers, Xiaomi’s procedure is a bit lengthy and it involves a number of days. We have tried to explain the entire procedure in layman terms. Let’s get on with it now.
- Unlocking bootloader will completely wipe your phone.
- You will also lose the warranty on your phone by unlocking the bootloader.
- You will stop getting OTA updates. Every time you want to update your phone, you will have to update it manually using Mi Updater or the Mi Flash Tool.
- This method is supposed to work only for the Xiaomi Mi phones. Trying it on another phone can potentially brick it.
- Follow this guide carefully. In case of a mishap, TechBeasts or Xiaomi may not be held responsible.
- Make sure that your phone is a Xiaomi Mi handset.
- Backup your contacts, call logs, media content and SMS messages.
- Enable OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging mode on your Mi phone.
- Charge your phone up to 50% to avoid power loss during bootloader unlock process.
- Your phone must be running on a locked MIUI ROM.
Request Xiaomi Mi Bootloader Unlock Code
- First of all, you need to open the Mi Bootloader Unlock Page.
- Now on the opened page, click Unlock Now.
- On the next page, you can either log in using your existing account or you can create a new account to get in.
- On the next page now, you need to fill out a small form by adding the required details. You must add your real name which should be the same as that of the name in your Xiaomi Mi phone. Also, add your active contact number. All other details should be genuine as well.
- Enter the real reason for unlocking the bootloader of your phone. You can use a reason such as.
- I want to root the phone and install a custom ROM.
- My phone is not booting up, I need to flash a new ROM.
- I want to calibrate the battery on my phone.
- I want to add new features to my phone.
- After completing the fields in the form, click on “Apply Now” button.
- After pressing the Apply Now button, a new page will open up asking you to enter the mobile verification code. You will get an SMS on your phone with a verification code. Grab the code from your phone and enter it here.
- After verifying through the SMS code, a new page will open up telling you to wait for the approval. The approval can take 1 to 14 days. So you have to keep patience while Xiaomi decides whether you should be given a chance to unlock bootloader or not. Upon approval, you will get a notification and an email with the unlock details.
Unlock Xiaomi Mi Bootloader
- From the extracted files of Mi Unlock Tool, run the miflash_unlock.exe file.
- You will be presented with a page displaying a disclaimer. Click on Agree to continue.
- Now log into your Mi Account using which you applied for the unlock permission.
- You will find a page asking you to connect your phone now. You need to connect your phone to the fastboot mode now.
- Turn off your phone. Turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Down + Power key. It will boot up in the fastboot mode now.
- Now simply plug in the cable to establish a connection between your phone and your PC.
- Mi Unlock Tool will detect your phone now and it will pull up an Unlock button.
- Click the Unlock button now and let the tool do its thing.
- The tool will verify your phone, unlock it and then reboot it. Once done rebooting, you can check that the bootloader has been unlocked. That’s all.
You are now free to perform any kind of modifications on your phone. If you are stuck with something, or if you have anything to add to this guide, feel free to reach us out using the comment box given below.