On a day when Samsung introduced the new Galaxy S10, it did surprise the Galaxy S8 owners too. Samsung has released the official Android 9 Pie update for the Galaxy S8. The Galaxy S8 owners can follow the steps in this guide to upgrade their phone. This new update carries the build number XXU4DSBA. The steps to install Galaxy S8 Android 9 Pie stock firmware
Galaxy S8 Android 9 Pie
The Android Pie firmware comes with numerous changes. At first, this update brings the whole new UI. Samsung has replaced the Samsung Experience UI with the One UI. The One UI has been designed to operate the phone with one hand. It also changes the look of almost every single element of the UI. It brings new icons for all the apps and all options. There are new toggles in the notifications panel. New icons in the status bar can be seen. One UI also changes the entire UI and icons of Settings app. Calendar and Phone apps have a new look too.
Apart from enhancing the looks, this new update also adds a few new features. Samsung users can now find the Adaptive Battery mode in the phone. Galaxy S8 has got a Night Mode too which is actually the Dark Mode. Galaxy S8 can now work with the Samsung Dex without the Dex station. All you need is to use an HDMI to USB Type-C cable. Furthermore, Samsung has optimized the firmware to provide a better battery life and faster performance.
That is all the new stuff in the Android Pie update for Galaxy S8. Let’s get back to work now. Go ahead, follow the instructions to install the official Android 9 Pie on Galaxy S8.
Before using this method to install Android 9 Pie, you can go to Settings > About Phone > Software section and check if there is an OTA for Android Pie. If there is an update available, you should use that method to update the phone. In case the update is not there, you can use this method to update the phone right away.
Preparations to install Android 9 Pie on Galaxy S8
- First things first, this guide is only Galaxy S8 G950F or G950FD. Do not try on any other device.
- Backup all of your data as this guide can wipe your phone.
- Charge your phone up to 50% to avoid power loss during installation.
- This firmware is for German region, however, you can install it on a Galaxy S8 from any region. The only thing you need to make sure is that your device has the G950F or G950FD model number.
- Enable OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging mode on your phone.
- Use OEM Data Cable to connect your phone to the computer.
- Do not use Samsung Smart Switch while using Odin.
- Follow the remaining steps carefully.
Required Downloads for Galaxy S8 Android 9 Pie Installation
- Samsung USB Drivers – Download and Install
- Odin 3.13.1 – Download and Extract
- Galaxy S8 Android 9 Pie Firmware – Download and Extract
- After extraction, you should get the AP, CP, BL, CSC and Home_CSC files
How to install Galaxy S8 Android 9 Pie Stock Firmware
Time needed: 10 minutes.
These are the steps to flash Galaxy S8 Android 9 Pie stock firmware. We will be using Odin to install the firmware manually.
- Open Odin.exe, load the AP, CP, BL, and CSC files.
First of all, open Odin.exe on your computer. In Odin, click on the AP tab and load the AP file. Similarly, add the CP file to the CP tab. Now add the BL file to the BL tab. Now depending on whether you want to factory reset the phone or not, add the CSC or Home_CSC file to the CSC tab.
- Set up Odin for firmware installation now.
Now in Odin, go to the Options tab. In Options, ensure that the only checked options are F.Reset.Time and Auto Reboot. No other options should be checked. After this, get back to the main menu in Odin.
- Enter your Galaxy S8 in Download Mode and connect it to the computer.
Turn off your Galaxy S8 now. While the phone is off, press and hold Volume Down + Bixby + Power button. As the screen shows you a warning, press Volume Up to continue. Connect the phone to the computer now. The ID:COM box in Odin should turn blue and it should also show “Added” in the logs.
- Install Android Pie on Galaxy S8 by hitting the Start button.
Click on the “Start” button in Odin now. This will start installing the Android 9 Pie firmware. This process will take up to 10 minutes. After this, the phone will reboot. Disconnect the phone now.
- Firmware installed. Set up the phone and enjoy Android Pie!
As your phone boots up, set it up. You will find it running on the Android Pie now. Enjoy the new version of Android with everything new.
By this time, you should have the Android Pie up and running on your Galaxy S8. Since this update takes will roll out in phases, it will probably take a lot of time to reach your region through the OTA. But with this guide, you are already ahead and without waiting for the OTA, you just installed it manually on the go. If you are facing any issues using this guide or with your Galaxy S8, feel free to reach out to us. We will try our best to get back to you as soon as possible.