Planning to modify your OnePlus 6? Before you begin, you will have to unlock the bootloader. Unlocking the OnePlus 6 Bootloader is essential in order to install a TWRP Custom Recovery or to root the phone. Follow this method to unlock OnePlus 6 Bootloader.
Equipment needed to Unlock OnePlus 6 Bootloader
- A Windows or Mac powered desktop PC or Laptop.
- A OnePlus 6 device.
- OnePlus 6’s original data cable.
- Android ADB and Fastboot Drivers installed on your computer.
- OnePlus 6 USB drivers.
- This guide.
What do you need to keep in mind
- This guide is only for OnePlus 6.
- Your phone’s battery must be over 50%.
- Backup all your data. This is an important step.
- Enable OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging mode.
- Follow this guide very carefully.
Note: Unlocking bootloader will format your phone. It’s very important to backup everything before going ahead. In case of a mishap, we may not be held responsible.
- OnePlus 6 USB Drivers – Download and install
- Minimal ADB and Fastboot Drivers – Download and install
How to Unlock OnePlus 6 Bootloader
- Open Minimal ADB and Fastboot.exe from your Desktop.
- Connect your OnePlus 6 to your computer and allow USB Debugging on the phone.
- In the command window, enter this command: adb devices
- The command will show you a list of devices connected followed by a code.
- Now enter the following commands:
- adb reboot bootloader
- This command will reboot your phone in the bootloader mode.
- fastboot devices.
- This command will verify device connection in the bootloader mode.
- fastboot oem unlock
- This command will unlock the bootloader of your phone.
- Using the Volume Up key, highlight “Yes” on your phone when it asks for unlocking the bootloader. Use power button to execute.
That’s how simple it was to unlock the bootloader of your OnePlus 6 bootloader. Now that you have unlocked your phone, there are infinite possibilities to add customization to it. You can start off by installing a TWRP custom recovery on OnePlus 6. After installing the custom recovery, you can also root OnePlus 6.