OnePlus has started delivering the new OnePlus 6 to its customers. If you happen to be one lucky OnePlus 6 owner, you can now root it. It is now possible to root OnePlus 6 with Magisk. Follow the instructions given in this guide to root OnePlus 6 via Magisk.
Root OnePlus 6 – Equipment needed
- A Windows or Mac computer i.e. Desktop PC or Laptop.
- A OnePlus 6 with an unlocked bootloader.
- OnePlus 6’s OEM Data Cable.
- OnePlus 6’s USB Drivers – Available below.
- Android ADB and Fastboot Drivers – Available below.
- Root files for the OP6 – Available below.
- This guide.
Note: This method is custom and highly risky. Proceed at your own risk. In case of a mishap, we or the device manufacter may not be held responsible.
Root OnePlus 6 – Important Instructions
- This guide will work on the OnePlus 6 running OxygenOS 5.1.5 only. Do not give it a try on any other phone.
- Charge your phone up to 50%. No power loss should occur.
- Backup each and every single thing from your phone.
- Enable OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging on your OP6.
- Follow this guide to unlock the OnePlus 6 Bootloader.
- On your phone, go to Settings > Security > Check the box next to “Unknown Sources”.
- Go through the remaining process carefully to avoid a mishap.
- Minimal ADB and Fastboot Drivers – Download
- OnePlus 6 USB Drivers – Download
- patched_boot_magisk1642.img – Download
- Rename the downloaded patched_boot_magis1642.img file to magisk.img only and copy it to C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot folder.
- Magisk Manager APK – Download
- Copy the Magisk Manager to your phone’s internal storage.
Before you proceed, there is a method to root the OnePlus 6 using TWRP custom recovery as well. If you want the TWRP recovery on your phone, you can use that method instead.
How to Root OnePlus 6 via Magisk
- Make sure your phone’s bootloader is unlocked and you are on OxygenOS 5.1.5.
- Open Minimal ADB and Fastboot.exe file from your computer’s desktop.
- Connect your phone to your computer now and allow USB Debugging on the phone if it asks for it.
- In the Minimal ADB and Fastboot.exe command window, enter the following commands one by one.
- adb devices
- This command will verify connection in adb mode.
- adb reboot bootloader
- This command will reboot the phone in bootloader mode.
- fastboot devices
- This command will verify the connection in fastboot mode.
- fastboot boot magisk.img
- This command will flash the magisk.img file that you renamed and copied above.
- Your phone will now reboot.
- As soon you are on the home screen of your phone, open the File Manager and locate Magisk Manager APK file.
- Tap the APK and install it.
- Open Magisk Manager on your phone now.
- Go to Settings in the Magisk Manager and tap Update Channel > Change it to Beta.
- Get back to the main screen in Magisk now and make sure that “Preserve force encryption” and “Preserve AVB 2.0/db-verity” are checked.
- Now tap “Install” and then select “Direct Install (Recommended)”.
- Wait patiently for your phone to flash and patch the boot.img. It will ask you to reboot shortly.
- Reboot the phone once it asks and boom!