Sony’s Xperia SP is Sony’s mid range device, and is also one of my favorite Xperia phones. The phone fits perfect in your hands, has a 1.7 GHz dual core processor, 1 GB RAM, 8 MP camera at the back and a VGA camera on front, while the display is 4.6 inch scratch resistant TFT, what else could you expect from a mid range phone, and I guess Xperia SP is the perfect choice. Well, the device runs on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean out of the box and Sony has planned the upgrade to Android 4.4 KitKat. As off now Sony has announced that the phone will receive Android 4.3 in the next month (December, 2013). What we have for you here today, is the unofficial CyanogenMod 11 based Android 4.4 KitKat custom ROM for Sony Xperia SP.
If you are familiar with custom ROMs and if you are one of those Android freaks who always like to taste the latest and greatest version of Android using custom ROMs before it actually comes out officially, then this post is surely for you. The guys at XDA have always been good with their work, and they have cooked up an unofficial CyanogenMod 11 based KitKat ROM, I’ve explained the method to install this ROM on Xperia SP in simple and easy steps below, scroll down and follow this guide to letter, but before we begin please keep in mind, as I mentioned that this is unofficial CM 11 ROM and is a nightly build, it may contain bugs, and may not be kept for every day use, flash it only if you have much knowledge about the custom ROMs and if you can handle these…
Here are some important points to keep in mind and some pre requisites:
- Make sure that your phone is Xperia SP C5303/2. Do not try this on any other phone.
- Make sure that your phone’s bootloader is unlocked, if not then unlock it here.
- Your phone must be rooted and have a CWM recovery installed. Follow this post to root and install CWM recovery.
- Your phone’s battery must be charged over at least 60%. This is highly recommended in order to prevent any mishap during the flashing process.
- Make sure that you backup your important media content, contacts, call logs and messages.
- Make sure that you make nandroid backup using the backup option in CWM recovery. This is highly recommended so that if the custom ROM doesn’t work, or if you do not like it after flashing, you can immediately restore the previous system on your phone.
- Once again I insist, use this guide to letter to prevent any mishap.
How to flash Android 4.4 KitKat CM 11 Custom ROM on Sony Xperia SP:
- Download the ROM’s zip file from Here .
- Open the downlaoded .zip folder and extract the boot.img kernel file only.
- Download Android ADB and Fastboot drivers, follow our full guide here to make it easy.
- Now place the kernal file that is boot.img file that you extracted from the zip folder in the fastboot folder that you downloaded form the guide linked above.
- After placing the kernel file in the fastboot folder, open the fastboot folder. Press shift and then Right click on any empty area inside the folder, now select “Open command prompt here“. flash it using the command “Fastboot Flash Boot Boot.img”. In case you are confused, follow the Android ADB & Fastboot drivers guide carefully.
- Place the ROM.zip file and Gapps.zip file on your phone’s internal or external sd card.
- Boot into CWM recovery. To do so, turn off your device, now turn it on and quickly press volume up and down keys, you will get the CWM interface.
- In CWM wipe the cache and dalvik cache.
- Now select “Install Zip>Choose Zip from Sd card / external Sd card”.
- Select the ROM.zip file that your placed on your phone’s Sd card.
- It should take a few mins to flash the ROM, now once again select “Install Zip>Choose Zip from Sd card / external Sd card”.
- Choose the Gapps.zip file this time and flash it.
- As soon as done flashing, clear cache and dalvik cache again.
- Reboot system now, you should see the CM logo on the boot screen now, it may take upto 10 minutes in order to boot into home screen.
- Congrats! Enjoy unofficial Android 4.4 KitKat custom ROM on your Sony Xperia SP now.
That’s all for now. Do tell us about your experience about this ROM. In case you got any queries or you face any difficulties, feel free to stop by the comment box below. We will try our best to help you out. Thanks All!