TWRP custom recovery is out for OnePlus 6. The recovery is an unofficial build by wuxianlin. The available recovery carries the version number 3.2.1-3. TWRP recovery for OnePlus 6 is in a stable state. Almost all the features are working in this build. If you are planning to modify your phone, you can quickly flash this recovery. Follow these steps to install TWRP custom recovery on OnePlus 6.
Equipment you need to install TWRP Custom Recovery on OnePlus 6
- A Windows or Mac powered Laptop or Desktop PC.
- A OnePlus 6 with an unlocked bootloader.
- Android ADB and Fastboot drivers installed on your computer.
- OEM data cable to connect OnePlus 6 to the computer.
- This guide.
Note: Flashing the TWRP recovery on OnePlus 6 will void its warranty. In case of a mishap, we or the device manufacturer may not be held responsible.
Important things to do before installing TWRP
- Charge your OnePlus 6 up to 60%. We cannot afford power loss during installation.
- This guide is only for the OnePlus 6. Do not try it on any other phone.
- Enable OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging on your OnePlus 6.
- Unlock the bootloader of OnePlus 6.
- Copy all your data before installing the recovery.
- Follow this guide very carefully.
- OnePlus 6 USB Drivers – Download
- Minimal ADB and Fastboot Drivers – Download and install.
- After installing Minimal ADB and Fastboot, you will get this directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot
- Download boot.img and TWRP.img files.
- Copy both the files to C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot folder. You will need the boot.img file in the internal storage of your phone as well.
- TWRPWorkingInstaller.zip – Download
- TWRP-Blue-FIX.zip – Download
- Magisk Root – Download
- Copy boot.img, TWRPWorkingInstaller.zip, TWRP-Blue-FIX.zip and Magisk Root.zip file to your phone’s internal storage.
How to Install TWRP Custom Recovery on OnePlus 6
Follow this method till the last step otherwise you will face a bootloop on your phone.
- Open Minimal ADB and Fastboot.exe from your desktop.
- Connect your OnePlus 6 to the computer and allow USB Debugging once it asks.
- In the command window, enter the following commands one by one.
- adb devices
- This command will show you a list of devices attached followed by a number. This means the phone is connected.
- adb reboot bootloader
- This command will reboot your phone in bootloader mode.
- fastboot devices
- This command will verify connection in bootloader mode.
- fastboot flash boot_a twrp.img
- This command will flash twrp.img on partition A.
- fastboot flash boot_b boot.img
- This command will flash boot.img on partition B.
- adb devices
- Disconnect your phone from your computer now.
- Use Volume Up + Power button to boot into the recovery now.
- The phone will ask for your passcode or pin to decrypt the recovery now. Decrypt it to enter the TWRP.
- TWRP will be open in the Chinese language now. Tap the right option in 3rd row to open Settings. Tap the globe icon and change language to English.
- Now get back to the main menu in TWRP and tap Install > Install Image > Locate boot.img and flash it.
- Get back to the main menu again, tap Install > Install Zip > Locate TWRPWorkingInstaller.zip and flash it.
- Once again, tap Install > Install Zip > TWRP-Blue-FIX.zip > Flash it.
- Lastly, tap Install > Install Zip > Locate Root.zip > Flash it.
- Now Reboot > System. That’s all.
So we are done installing TWRP recovery and also rooting the phone now. If you need help with anything else, feel free to reach out to me.