Chromecast and Chromecast Ultra are top of the link casting devices by Google. The working principle of these devices is pretty simple. The phone and device are connected to the same WiFi or network (via a LAN cable). Open the phone, launch any app, and just click on the cast iron to shift content to the TV. However, this buttery smooth method may not go as planned sometimes. It is reported by users that phones or app cannot find Chromecast devices even though they are connected to the same WiFi network.
This applies in both cases whether users are trying to cast apps or just mirroring the phone screen itself. The casting is when Chromecast picks the link of media from the phone and just plays it itself. It does not require a phone anymore. The mirroring is when the entire phone screen shows on TV in real-time. The device must stay connected to WiFi for it to work.
When the Chromecast or cast icon does not show up on the phone or tablet anymore, it could be due to several reasons. In this article, we are going to explore the possible reasons and how to tackle those.
- 1 Applicable Queries / Problems
- 2 Fix “Phone or Apps unable to find Chromecast device on same WiFi network”
- 3 Conclusion
Applicable Queries / Problems
The basic issue that this article covers is that “Phone does not show or connect to Chromecast on the same WiFi (network)”. However, this piece goes into more depth and explains how to fix this and related problems.
- Apps like YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, Media Players, SoundCloud cannot find Chromecast devices on the same network. This issue is persistent on one or more than one device.
- The cast iron does not appear in the phone and apps for Chromecast.
- Mirroring in Chromecast does not work. The device does not show up on a phone or tablet.
- Phone unable to find only one Chromecast device on the network. It shows the rest of the devices.
- Tablet and phone cannot control Chromecast devices on the same network.
- The Chromecast device and cast icon disappear a few minutes after starting it.
- Once the phone starts casting an app, video, or screen to Chromecast, it loses control or connection after a few minutes.
- There are no volume controls for Chromecast after connecting it for few minutes or some time.
- One of the phones cannot find a Chromecast device on the same WiFi network. All other devices can still see that particular device and control it.
- HBO Go
- Chromecast Mirroring
Fix “Phone or Apps unable to find Chromecast device on same WiFi network”
The issue being discussed here can be caused by a variety of issues. Therefore, it is not possible to pinpoint just one. Below is the list of all possible bugs and fixes for when phones or apps cannot connect to or find Chromecast devices on the network.
Make sure to check the easiest methods first and then move on to more advanced solutions.
Restart Router and Chromecast Device
Restarting is the most common troubleshooting method that works for over 90% of problems. And this is not just a coincidence. Both and old modern devices can get worn out if they run for a long time. Or they just did not set up correctly. Therefore, just restarting can fix the most basic issues.
Do this in the following order:
- Switch off the router.
- Unplug the Chromecast device.
- Turn on the router and wait for its WiFi to be active.
- Plugin Chromecast device again.
- You may also restart your phone just to be sure.
Now just check your apps and see if the casting is working now. Otherwise, move on to the next step.
The network for the Chromecast device and your phone may be actually different. It can happen due to several reasons. Maybe one of these two got connected to a different router and you did not realize.
Another possible culprit is the Smart Network Switch. This is a modern option now available in almost all Android smartphones. This feature allows users to constantly switch between WiFi and Mobile data. The switch happens when one of the networks is weak. The switching in the network can disconnect you from Chromecast.
For those who report that their phone disconnects from Chromecast after a few minutes, this may just be the answer. To fix this, either just turn it off and use normal switching or add casting apps to filtered apps. Smart Network Switch option is available under the WiFi tab in settings. However, this filtering is not always available or very successful, therefore, just turn the smart network switch off.
Try using Chromecast after this. If it is not fixed, let us move on to the next step.
Factory Reset Chromecast
Not so long ago, Google released a software update for Chromecast devices. It also warned the users that it may break it! It may have stopped working just like so many users have reported it. The mentioned solution for this is to factory reset it. The factory reset method for Chromecast 1st Gen and 2nd Gen is the same. Follow these steps:
- Plugin Chromecast device to a USB power outlet.
- Locate a button near its USB port.
- Keep it pressed for few seconds until the light turns white.
- Once it is white, let the button go.
- Your Chromecast device is now factory reset!
From here on, use the usual method to set up your Chromecast device using the Google Home app.
Check if Battery Saver is messing with Chromecast
Chromecast may disconnect from your phone if the battery saving services in the phone cut the connection. How does it work? Well, most modern devices have built-in battery saver apps to maximize battery life. They monitor all apps for background usage. When the usage is extended for a long time in the background, they cut it off to save battery. The app thinks that it is not in use and just consuming battery.
What actually happens is that Chromecast although does not use a phone to cast it required persistent connection. Otherwise, users may encounter issues like Chromecast controls do not work after some time on the phone. This issue in particular is caused by battery-saving apps.
To fix this, read the dedicated guide for this issue HERE.
Check WiFi bands (2.4Ghz or 5GHz) and Channels
First-generation Chromecast devices connect with older 2.4GHz WiFi connections. However, the second generation supports even 5GHz. While it is faster and good, it could still cause some bugs.
The Chromecast may stop showing up on phone after some time if the WiFi connection is messed up. Therefore, try switching the WiFi connections for it. To do so, follow these steps:
- Reset the Chromecast as shown above.
- When connecting it to WiFi again, select 2.4GHz if it was previously connected to 5GHz (2nd Gen models). 1st Gen models only connect to 2.4GHz though. You can see the 5G sign on WiFi SSID while connecting. The 2.4GHz channel only shows the WiFi name.
- Now try casting from your device.
If it does not work, then change the channel for 2.4GHz to 11 from the router settings page. This option is available under Wireless settings. Below is an example but this interface is different for all routers. Also, note that some routers may not have channel 11 as an option. Try other channels in this case.
Clear Cache of Apps with this issue
Only certain apps may be causing this issue. For example, YouTube may stop working with Chromecast after a while. Or Netflix cannot find Chromecast on the same network. Maybe Hulu App loses Chromecast volume controls after casting for a few minutes.
It makes one realize that maybe the problem is with apps. The cache build-up can cause these kinds of issues. To fix this, follow these steps:
- Go to Settings > Apps.
- Search for a particular app on this list.
- Tap on Storage.
- Now tap on the Clear Cache button.
- Restart the phone.
Now try using Chromecast with these apps once again.
The issue that we discussed in this article is widespread and it happens from time to time. It is possible that only one phone or tablet may not find a Chromecast device on the network. In such a case, the issue is certainly with the phone. Try clearing its cache from Settings > Storage > Management > Clear Cache Storage. Or just clear it from stock or custom recovery.
Try out these methods listed here and your problem should be solved. Feel free to leave your feedback in the comments below. Also, use the comments section for any queries that you may have.