The OnePlus 6 is already running on the Android Pie Open Beta 2. If you don’t like the OxygenOS based Open Beta 2 on your OnePlus 6, you can opt for the LineageOS 16. Yes, you heard that right. LineageOS 16 is now available for the OnePlus 6. Despite the ROM is in the very early stages, it has got almost all of its primary features working fine. The LineageOS 16 custom ROM for the OnePlus 6 comes straight away as a daily driver. Since it is very easy to unlock the bootloader and install a custom recovery on the OnePlus 6, installing a custom ROM on this phone is also one of the most painless processes. OnePlus 6 owners can follow the steps given in this guide to download Android Pie on OnePlus 6 via LineageOS 16.
OnePlus 6 was launched in May this year. The phone comes with an Optic AMOLED display of 6.28-inches. This screen has a resolution of 1080 x 2280 pixels. The OnePlus 6’s screen is protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 5. OnePlus has deployed the latest Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 CPU in this phone. This SoC is coupled with the Adreno 630 GPU.
OnePlus 6 comes with a RAM of 6GB with 64GB internal storage or a RAM of 8GB with 128/256GB internal storage. It has a dual camera module at the back with a shooter of 16MP and another shooter of 20MP. On the front, it has a single 16MP shooter planted inside its infamous notch. OnePlus 6 comes with Face Unlock and it has a fingerprint scanner as well which is mounted at the back. It has a 3,300 mAh battery. The phone ran on Android Oreo out of the box. A few days back, OnePlus rolled out the Open Beta 1 based on Android Pie. The Open Beta 2 is also available now.
LineageOS 16 for OnePlus 6
If you don’t already know about the LineageOS 16, it is the most popular custom ROM available for a number of Android smartphones. The LineageOS 16 is based on the Android Pie. The official version of LineageOS 16 is yet to come out. The unofficial versions are already out for a handful of smartphones including the OnePlus 6.
The ROM for OnePlus 6 has only one feature that doesn’t work. The color calibration settings do not work for now. All other features including RIL, WiFi, Bluetooth, Camera, Audio & Video Playback, NFC, Fingerprint Scanner, and everything else is running smoothly in this ROM.
Now that we are moving towards the steps to install LineageOS 16 on the OnePlus 6, bear in mind that no matter how stable this ROM is, it is still a custom ROM. Those of you who already have had an experience of custom ROMs in the past will find it easy to install and handle this ROM. Newbies should pay extra attention to the steps given below to avoid an unlikely situation.
Download Android Pie on OnePlus 6 via LineageOS 16 Custom ROM
- This ROM is only for the OnePlus 6.
- Charge your OnePlus 6 up to at least 50% before flashing LineageOS 16.
- Backup each and everything from your OnePlus 6.
- Use OEM Data Cable to connect OnePlus 6 to the computer when needed.
- Unlock the bootloader of OnePlus 6.
- Install TWRP Recovery on the OnePlus 6.
- Follow the remaining steps carefully.
- Gapps for Android Pie LineageOS 16
- Latest Lineage-16.0.xxxx.zip file
- Copy both the files to your OnePlus 6.
Steps to install LineageOS 16 on OnePlus 6
- Make sure you have the TWRP recovery installed on your phone.
- Also, ensure that you have copied the files after installing TWRP.
- Power down your OnePlus 6.
- Press and hold Volume Down + Power button to boot into the TWRP.
- In the TWRP now, click on Install > Install Zip > Locate and select the Lineage-16.xxxx.zip file. Swipe screen to flash this file.
- Similarly, flash the Gapps for Android Pie.
- In the end, get back to the main menu in TWRP and click on Wipe > Advanced Wipe > Select Cache & Dalvik Cache > Swipe screen to wipe.
- After wiping, reboot your OnePlus 6 into the system. All done.
That’s all with the installation of LineageOS 16 on the OnePlus 6. If the ROM installation goes wrong, you can flash the stock ROM on your phone anytime. If you have any queries, feel free to reach out to me using the comments section below.