Official TWRP Recovery for the OnePlus 6 is out. The Official TWRP recovery can be flashed on any OnePlus 6 phone running OxygenOS 5.1.5 or 5.1.6. The recovery supports Magisk, which means you can flash Magisk on your OnePlus 6 to root it.
Earlier, there was an unofficial build of TWRP recovery available for the OnePlus 6. A method to root the phone was out too, but it was quite difficult to install that recovery and use the previous method to root the phone. Now that the official TWRP recovery is here, things are going to be extremely easy.
When it comes to customization, OnePlus is the manufacturer that I love the most. The phones, in their original form, are very easy to customize. Because OnePlus uses OxygenOS which is pretty similar to the Vanilla Android, it’s very easy to fall in love with the UI. However, if you are still not satisfied with the stock condition of your OnePlus 6’s OS, you can opt for the TWRP recovery in order to modify it.
How To Install Official TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 6
Follow these steps to install official TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 6.
Things you need
- A Windows or Mac powered computer with Android ADB and Fastboot.
- A OnePlus 6 running OxygenOS 5.1.5 or 5.1.6.
- Original data cable of the OnePlus 6.
- OnePlus USB drivers.
- This guide.
- This guide is only for OnePlus 6. Do not try it on any other phone.
- Charge your OnePlus 6 up to 50% to avoid power loss during the installation process.
- Backup all your data including contacts, call logs, text messages and media content.
- Disable Windows Firewall and Antivirus if you have one on your computer.
- Unlock the OnePlus 6 Bootloader.
- Follow this guide carefully.
Note: This is a custom process and it can potentially brick your phone. If you are new to the custom recovery and rooting stuff, proceed carefully and follow each and every single step with full attention. In case of a mishap, TechBeasts, OnePlus or the recovery developer may not be held responsible.
- OnePlus 6 USB Drivers – Download
- Minimal ADB and Fa twrp-3.2.1-0-enchilada.img stboot Drivers – Download
- You will get this directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot
- TWRP Custom Recovery for OnePlus 6
- Magisk for OnePlus 6 – Download
Install Official TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 6
- Make sure all installations are done and all files are placed where they are supposed to be.
- Open the Minimal ADB and Fastboot folder on your computer.
- Now open the cmd-here.exe file. It will open the command window.
- Connect your OnePlus 6 to the computer and give it USB Debugging permission as it asks on the phone.
- Now in the command window, enter the following commands one by one.
- adb devices
- This command will return a code verifying connection of your phone with the computer. If it doesn’t return a list of devices attached to a string, you need to check the connection again.
- adb reboot bootloader
- This command will reboot your phone in the fastboot mode.
- fastboot devices
- This command will verify the connection in fastboot mode.
- fastboot boot twrp-3.2.1-0-enchilada.img
- This command will boot the TWRP.img on your computer.
- adb devices
- Your phone will now boot the TWRP recovery.
- Now unlock the TWPR using your pin or password.
- In TWRP, tap Install > Install Zip > Locate the TWRP.zip file that you copied > Swipe screen or Type Yes to flash it.
- Reboot into the system now. That’s all.
How to Root OnePlus 6 via Magisk
- Turn off your phone.
- Now press and hold Volume Up + Power button to boot into the bootloader mode.
- In the bootloader mode, select recovery mode to open TWRP.
- In TWRP, tap Install > Install Zip > Find Magisk and flash it.
- Reboot your phone. That’s all.