Samsung Galaxy Tab A 2017 has the TWRP Recovery support now. It means that this Tab can be rooted too. In this guide, the Galaxy Tab A owners will find steps to root their device and install TWRP recovery. As you go ahead, you will find the steps to root Galaxy Tab A T380/T385 and Install TWRP Recovery on it. Let’s take a look at the spec sheet of this device before starting the customization process.
Galaxy Tab A 8.0 2017
The Galaxy Tab A series stared back in 2016 as Samsung’s low-end Tab series. The very first set of devices included a Tab A 7.0
The Galaxy Tab A 2017 comes in two variants. It has the T380 and T385 variants. The Tab A T380 is the WiFi only device. The Galaxy Tab A T385 is the GSM/LTE variant.
This Tab has got an aluminum body. It boasts off an 8.0-inch IPS LCD display. The resolution of this screen is 800 x 1280 pixels. Tab A 2017 is powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 425 SoC. It has a RAM of 2GB and internal storage of 16GB.
At the back, there is an 8MP camera. On the front, it has a 5MP camera. Galaxy Tab A 8.0 2017 has a whopping 5000 mAh battery under the hood. It uses USB 2.0 for connection purposes. Samsung made this Tab in the Black and Gold colors. It runs on Android 7.1 Nougat out of the box. This tab was updated to Android Oreo later on. The official price of the Tab A 2017 is about 200 EUR.
That’s all about the Tab A 8.0 2017. Head over to the steps to root Galaxy Tab A T380/T385 & install TWRP recovery.
Before rooting your Tab, please keep in mind that this is a custom process. Not following this procedure exactly as laid out below can damage your device. Pay full attention to this method to avoid a mishap. Also, if you are a newbie, you need to be extra careful. Companies and recovery/root developers do not recommend these procedures. You have to make sure that you are doing this on your own will. If you need to learn more about root, you can take a look at the reasons to root an Android device.
Preparations to Install TWRP and Root Tab A 8.0
- This guide is only for Galaxy Tab A 8.0 2017 T380 and T385. Check the model number of your Tab before following this procedure.
- Charge your Tab up to 50% to avoid a power loss.
- Backup your contacts, call logs, media content, and SMS messages.
- While using Odin on your computer, turn off Windows Firewall and Antivirus if you have it.
- Also close the Samsung Smart Switch software while using Odin.
- Enable OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging mode on your Tab A.
- Use the original data cable to connect Tab A to the computer.
- Follow the remaining steps carefully.
Required downloads to root Tab A 2017 and install TWRP
- Odin 3.13.1 for PC – Download and Extract
- Samsung USB Drivers for Tab A 2017
- TWRP Custom Recovery for Tab A – Download for T380 | Download for T385
- Magisk.zip file for Tab A – Download
- RMM Bypass.zip – Download
Root Galaxy Tab A T380/T385 & Install TWRP Recovery
Follow these steps to install TWRP on Tab A T380/T385 and root it.
- Open Odin.exe and add the twrp_3.2.3-1.tar file in the AP tab.
From the extracted “Odin files, open the Odin.exe file. In Odin, click on the AP tab and select the Recovery.tar file for your Tab. Now go to Options in Odin and ensure that the only options checked is the F.Reset.Time. Uncheck all other options.
- Put your Tab A in Download Mode and connect it to the Computer.
Now turn off your Tab A. While the Tab is powered down, press and hold Volume Down + Home + Power button. As you see a warning on the screen, press Volume Up to continue. Now your Tab is in the Download Mode. Connect it to your computer now.
- Click on the Start button in Odin to flash TWRP.
You are all set now. Hit the start button to flash TWRP. TWRP will be flashed in 2-3 minutes. After this disconnect your Tab from the computer.
- Restart your Tab A in the Recovery Mode.
On the Tab, press and hold Volume Up + Home + Power button to boot into recovery mode. Do not reboot the tab in any other way. You must reboot into the recovery mode from here.
- In TWRP, Format the Data and Copy Magisk & RMM.zip files.
Now enter the TWRP recovery and click on Wipe > Format Data. After this, go back to main menu in TWRP and click on Reboot > Recovery. After the Tab reboots into the recovery again, connect it to your computer. Now open the USB Storage in computer and copy the Magisk.zip and RMM.zip files to your Tab.
- In TWRP, click on Install > Install Zip > Flash the Magisk & RMM.zip files.
Go to Install tab in the TWRP, click on Install Zip > Locate the Magisk.zip file and flash it. After flashing Magisk, go to Install once again, Install Zip and this time, flash the RMM.zip file.
- Reboot into System now. That’s all.
Go back to the main menu in TWRP now. Click on Reboot > System. As your Tab boots up now, you will have it rooted. TWRP is already there. Use the Magisk Manager to manage the root settings now. That’s all.
That’s all folks. You have the TWRP and Root on your Tab now. You can start customizing your Tab A the way you want. With TWRP, you can flash custom ROMs and other .zip files. You can also clear the cache,