This is the guide to install TWRP Recovery and Root Galaxy J6 Plus. As you follow this guide, you will be able to root Galaxy J6 Plus J610F/FN/G/DS as well. This guide will first explain how to install TWRP recovery on Galaxy J6 Plus. After installing TWRP, the steps to root Galaxy J6 Plus will come up. Before we install TWRP Recovery and Root Galaxy J6 Plus, let us take a look at what this device has to offer.
About Galaxy J6+
Samsung released the Galaxy J6+ this year in October. Galaxy J6+ is the first Samsung device to have a side-mounted fingerprint scanner. The Galaxy J6+ comes with a 6.0-inches IPS LCD screen. It has a resolution of 720 x 1480 pixels. This phone is powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 425 SoC which is accompanied by the Adreno 308 GPU. Galaxy J6+ has the internal storage of 64GB or 32GB along with a RAM of 4GB or 3GB. It has a dual camera system at the back including a 13MP shooter and another 5MP shooter. On the front, it has a 5MP shooter. Galaxy J6+ has the Dolby Atmos tuned sound. It has got a 3300 mAh battery under the hood. This phone runs on Android Oreo out of the box. Samsung has constructed this phone in Black Gray, Red, and Blue Colors. It costs about $240. Galaxy J6+ is an expensive midrange smartphone.
Assuming that you have a clear idea about the Galaxy J6 Plus, let us learn a little bit about the TWRP recovery and root now.
Why install TWRP Recovery and Root Galaxy J6 Plus?
TWRP recovery runs in the bootloader of the device. Loading TWRP recovery is just like loading the BIOS setup on your Windows PC. The purpose of a custom recovery like TWRP is to give the users an extended choice of options to tweak their device. TWRP recovery allows the Android smartphone users to make Nandroid Backups, flash custom ZIP files, flash root files, install mods like Xposed, backup all the partitions, wipe cache and Dalvik cache and a lot more. TWRP recovery is quite useful when something goes wrong and you quickly want to recover your device. It is also useful to recover your soft-bricked Android smartphone. Most of the custom operations on an Android smartphone take place with the help of a custom recovery like the TWRP.
Root access is similar to the TWRP recovery, but root works inside the phone. The term root means that applications on your phone get complete access to your phone’s system files. For example, there is an application that you are using to make changes to the UI of your phone, it will be given the permission to tweak the System UI files of your phone. It is not like the applications access the system files on their own. When your device is rooted, all applications seeking access to system files first ask the device administrator for permission. It is totally up to you whether you want to allow a specific application to access any system files or not. Android users root their devices to add new features to their phones. There is a handful of root applications that can make the battery life and performance of your Android phone much better.
The TWRP Recovery and Root method for the Galaxy J6 Plus has been presented by none other than Ashyx. XDA Recognized contributor Ashyx has already presented such methods for dozens of Android smartphones.
Assuming that Galaxy J6 Plus owners have a clear idea of what TWRP and root are, we can now head towards the guide to install TWRP recovery and root Galaxy J6 Plus.
Install TWRP Recovery and Root Galaxy J6 Plus
- This guide is for the Galaxy J6 Plus J610F/FN/G/DS. Do not try on any other phone.
- Backup all of your data as this process will wipe your phone.
- Enable OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging on your phone.
- Use OEM Data Cable to connect your phone to the computer.
- While using Odin, disable Samsung Smart Switch and any Antivirus if you have one on your computer.
- Follow the remaining steps carefully now.
- Download and install Samsung USB Drivers on your PC.
- Also, download Odin 3.13.1 and extract it on your computer.
- Download twrp_3.2.3-1_j610_21230.
- Also Download RMM-State_Bypass.zip file.
- Download J6+_oreo_forced_encryption_disabler.
- Lastly, download Magisk-v17.3.zip file.
How to install TWRP Recovery on Galaxy J6 Plus
- Power down your Galaxy J6 Plus.
- Now press and hold Volume Down + Power button for a while. As your phone shows Download Mode, press Volume Up to continue.
- Connect your phone to the computer now.
- On your computer, open Odin3.exe.
- While your phone is connected already, Odin should show “Added” in the log box, and also show a Blue light in the ID:COM box. This will mean a successful connection.
- Go to Options in Odin and uncheck “Auto Reboot” if it is checked. Only F.Reset.Time should be checked.
- Now come back to the main screen in Odin and click on AP tab. Select the TWRP Recovery.tar file in the AP tab.
- Click on the Start button to flash TWRP now.
- TWRP will be flashed in a few seconds.
- After TWRP has been flashed, your phone will not reboot as we have disabled Auto Reboot. Follow the procedure given below now.
Root Galaxy J6 Plus J610F/FN/G/DS
- While your phone is still connected to the computer, press and hold Volume Down + Power button for about 7-8 seconds.
- As soon as the screen of your phone goes black, switch from Volume Down to Volume Up button. This will take your phone into the TWRP recovery.
- Now TWRP will ask you if you want to allow modifications. Swipe the screen to allow now.
- In TWRP, click on Wipe > Format Data > Type Yes. Your phone will be formatted now.
- Now go back to the main menu in TWRP and click on Reboot > Recovery. Your Galaxy J6+ will reboot into the Recovery.
- Download these three files now
- On your phone in TWRP, click on Mount > USB Storage. Your phone will now appear as a USB disk in your computer.
- Copy the files linked above to your phone and then disconnect it.
- On your phone, click on Install > Install Zip > Locate and select J6+ Oreo Forced Encryption Disabler > Flash this file.
- After flashing this file, flash the RMM.zip file in the same manner.
- In the end, flash the Magisk.zip file in the same manner as well.
- Now that you have flashed all three files, go back to the main menu in TWRP and click on Reboot > System.
- Your phone will reboot now. Congratulations, you have a working TWRP recovery and a rooted Galaxy J6 Plus.
Don’t forget to check out: 30+ Best Root Apps for Android in 2018
By this time, you should have a Galaxy J6 Plus ready for custom ROM and Mods. You can now unleash the full potential of your phone. Those of you who wish to unroot the device and go back to stock firmware, they can flash a stock ROM at any time. Here is a guide to install stock Android Oreo on Samsung Galaxy phones. If you have any queries or suggestions, feel free to reach out to us. We will try our best to reach out to you as soon as we get your comment or message.