Xiaomi Mi A2 is part of Google’s Android One Project so you will get latest Android updates and security patches. The device runs on pure stock Android without any bloatware. Also, it runs on stock Android 8.1 where the customization options very less compared to MIUI 9. You can now unlock the new features and flash zips files on your device. A senior XDA member Dees_Troy successfully ported the Official TWRP on Mi A2. Follow this simple guide on how to Install Official TWRP on Mi A2.
The Xiaomi Mi A2 is powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 octa-core processor coupled with 4GB RAM for 32/64GB ROM models & 6GB RAM for 128GB ROM model. Also, the device features a 6-inch full HD+ 18:9 aspect ratio screen with 1080×2160 pixels resolution. Although Mi A2 comes with decent 3010mAh battery, it supports quick change 3.0. It comes in 5 color options Red, Rose Gold, Black, Blue, Gold. It offers Dual 12 MP (f/1.8, 1/2.9″, 1.25µm) + 20 MP (f/1.8, 1/2.8″, 1.0µm) rear camera with additional features like phase detection autofocus, LED flash, Geo-tagging, touch focus, face detection, HDR, panorama. Also, it offers 20 MP (f/1.8, 1/2.8″, 1.0µm) front-facing camera with additional features like 1080p, Auto-HDR. The device supports additional features like Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic, Fast battery charging 5V/2A (Quick Charge 3.0).
Official TWRP for Mi A2
The custom recovery will assist you in wiping partitions, executing shell commands, installing custom ROMs, kernels, and mods. TWRP is one of the most popular custom recoveries for Android smartphones. It is a touch-based custom recovery with an intuitive interface and a lot of useful functions.
TWRP is one of the most popular custom recoveries for Android smartphones. It is a touch-based custom recovery with an intuitive interface and a lot of useful functions. TWRP is a recovery-level UI packed with powerful features that will make your rooted life easier. It also tries to stand out by giving users extra features not found in ClockworkMod Recovery, as well as an attractive interface.
TWRP has an intuitive touch interface with a lot of useful options. You can take Nandroid backups, restore the backups in case your device stuck at bootloop, flash custom ROMs, mods and any flashable ZIP file. Apart from that, you can wipe individual partitions on your device, run custom scripts and much more.
The Mi A2 has the Official TWRP support and can be downloaded from TWRP website. In this tutorial, we will see how to unlock bootloader and install TWRP on Mi A2. But before we proceed, make sure you have a backup of important files on your internal storage. The installation process is quite easy but the bootloader unlock will wipe your internal storage. So, if you’re ready to go, let’s get on with the installation.
- This guide is only for the Xiaomi Mi A2 variant only. Do not try this on any other phone.
- Charge your phone good enough so that it doesn’t go dead during the installation process.
- Backup your call logs, contacts and SMS messages. Also backup your media content. This is important since unlocking the bootloader will completely wipe your phone.
- Enable OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging mode on your device.
- Use the OEM data cable to connect your phone to your PC.
- Unlock your bootloader
- Download and install Minimal ADB and Fastboot drivers on your computer.
- Install Xiaomi USB drivers on your computer and install them.
- Download the latest TWRP image file from here. Rename this file to recovery.img and copy it to the ADB and Fastboot folder.
How to Install Official TWRP on Mi A2
- Navigate to the folder where you have installed ADB and fastboot files on your computer.
- Connect your device to the PC using a USB cable.
- Open a command prompt window from the ADB and Fastboot folder [Press shift key + right-click on any blank space of the folder] and then select “Open command window here” from the context menu.
- Execute the below command to reboot to bootloader.
adb reboot bootloader
- Make sure the “recovery.img” file is in the fastboot folder and execute the below command to flash it on your device.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- It will take a couple of seconds for the TWRP recovery image to flash.
- Once the flashing process is complete, reboot the device.
That’s all. You can now try to enter TWRP mode on your Mi A2 by holdi