Lineage OS 16 ROMs are pouring out in the developer forums and the Xiaomi Mi Mix has received its share. Thanks to the XDA developer bgcngm for cooking the Android 9.0 Pie custom ROM for the Mi Mix. The Lineage OS ROM brings out the latest Android Pie features to your device and also some Lineage OS goodies. So, if you can’t wait for Xiaomi to release the official Android 9.0 Pie update, follow the below tutorial to install Lineage OS 16 ROM on Xiaomi Mi Mix.
The Xiaomi Mi Mix features 6.4 inches IPS LCD display with a screen resolution of 1080 x 2040 pixels and 17:9 aspect ratio. It is powered by Snapdragon 821 processor paired with 6GB RAM and Adreno 530 GPU. It sports a 16MP rear camera and a 5MP camera for selfies. One of the best features is it’s mammoth 4400 mAh battery which can easily last a day on moderate usage. Mi Mix was launched with Android 6.0 Marshmallow but you can get hands-on many custom ROMs. So, if you want to get a taste of Android Pie, you can install the Lineage OS 16 ROM.
Install Lineage OS 16 ROM on Xiaomi Mi Mix
If you’ve not heard of Lineage OS until now, it is one of the popular aftermarket custom ROMs that have a huge fanbase. It comes from the same developers that brought the CyanogenMod ROMs, so you can see all the best opensource features on the Lineage OS ROM. The Lineage OS 16 is based on Android 9.0 Pie and comes with the Opensource features of Lineage OS fork. You can check the list of things that are working and the current bugs in the ROM.
- Camera (and flashlight)
- Telephony (Calls and Data)
- Audio (Record and Playback)
- Video Playback
Not Working Yet
- HW crypto (FDE)
As you can see, VoLTE is not yet supported in this ROM and this can be the dealbreaker for many. But if you want to get to know the Android 9.0 Pie features, you can install the Lineage OS 16 ROM on your smartphone.
Install Android 9.0 Pie Based Lineage OS 16 ROM on Xiaomi Mi Mix
- This ROM is only for the Xiaomi Mi Mix.
- Charge your device at least 50% before flashing the ROM.
- Backup your device to make sure you’ve all the important data if something doesn’t go as per the plan.
- Install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Mi Mix
Download the Gapps and Lineage OS ROM for Mi Mix to your device’s storage.
How to Install Lineage OS 16 on Mi Mix
- Make sure you have the TWRP recovery installed on your phone.
- Also, ensure that you have copied the Gapps and Lineage OS 16 ROM files after installing TWRP.
- Power down your smartphone.
- Press and hold Volume Up + Power button for about 5 seconds. Release the Power key when Mi logo appears and continue holding Volume Up button until the recovery mode appears.
- Make a nandroid backup of your device in TWRP recovery. To do this, navigate to Backup option, select the partitions available and swipe right to make a backup.
- Format your device, once the backup is completed.
- In TWRP recovery, click on Wipe » Advanced Wipe. Select data, system, cache and, Dalvik-cache on this page and wipe them.
- In the TWRP, click on Install » Install Zip » Locate and select the Lineage OS ROM file. Swipe screen to flash this file.
- Similarly, flash the Gapps for Android Pie.
- In the end, get back to the main menu in TWRP and click on Wipe » Advanced Wipe » Select Cache & Dalvik Cache » Swipe screen to wipe.
- After wiping, reboot your device.
That’s all. Your device will now boot into the Lineage OS 16 interface.