HTC One M8 is one of the most impressive devices the Taiwanese manufacturer has ever manufactured. The HTC One M8/M8 Dual devices were launched with Android 4.4.x KitKat but they are still getting all the love from developers. Not long from the Android 9.0 Pie launch, one of the XDA developers has made a working Lineage OS 16 ROM for HTC One M8/M8 Dual smartphones. The ROM is still in the early stages of development but it’s a great daily driver. So, if you want to taste some of the tasty Pie, follow the below tutorial to install it on your device.
Lineage OS 16 ROM for HTC One M8/M8 Dual
Lineage OS is one of the popular aftermarket custom ROMs available for Android devices. It is the continuation to the much popular CyanogenMod ROMs and it inherits many of the awesome features of CM ROMs and includes much more. The Lineage OS 16 is based on Android 9.0 Pie and comes with the Opensource features of Lineage OS fork. The Lineage OS 16 for HTC One M8/M8 Dual is quite stable for an early build and only has one bug so far. It doesn’t support external SDcard yet.
You can check the list of things that are working with the ROM.
- Camera (including video recording)
- FM Radio
- Telephony (Calls, MMS/SMS and Mobile data)
- Audio (Record and Playback)
- Video Playback
Lineage OS 16 installation is quite easy and all you need is an unlocked bootloader and a custom recovery like TWRP to flash the ROM. If you’re new to the custom ROMs, follow the below instructions to flash the Lineage OS 16 ROM on your HTC One M8/M8 Dual devices.
Download Android Pie Based Lineage OS 16 Custom ROM for HTC One M8/M8 Dual
- This ROM is only for the HTC One M8/M8 Dual variants.
- Charge your device at least 50% before flashing the ROM.
- Backup your device to make sure you’ve all the important data if something doesn’t go as per the plan.
- Download the latest TWRP from here and follow our tutorial to Unlock Bootloader and install TWRP Recovery on HTC One M8/M8 Dual
Download the Gapps and Lineage OS ROM for HTC One M8/M8 Dual to your device’s storage.
- Lineage OS 16 for HTC One M8
- Lineage OS 16 for HTC One M8 Dual
- Gapps for Android Pie Lineage OS 16
How to Install Lineage OS 16
- Make sure you have the TWRP recovery installed on your phone.
- Also, ensure that you have copied the Gapps and Lineage OS 16 ROM files after installing TWRP.
- Power down your smartphone.
- Press and hold Volume Down button, then press Power to switch ON the phone but don’t release the Volume Down key. When the bootloader appears, select RECOVERY option from all the Bootloader options. Select it with volume buttons and press Power to boot into Recovery Mode.
- Make a nandroid backup of your device in TWRP recovery. To do this, navigate to Backup option, select the partitions available and swipe right to make a backup.
- Format your device, once the backup is completed.
- In TWRP recovery, click on Wipe » Advanced Wipe. Select data, system, cache and, Dalvik-cache on this page and wipe them.
- In the TWRP, click on Install » Install Zip » Locate and select the Lineage OS ROM file. Swipe screen to flash this file.
- Similarly, flash the Gapps for Android Pie.
- In the end, get back to the main menu in TWRP and click on Wipe » Advanced Wipe » Select Cache & Dalvik Cache » Swipe screen to wipe.
- After wiping, reboot your device.
That’s all. Your device will now boot into the delicious Android Pie interface. Have fun exploring the new features.