The Android 9.0 Pie is the latest Android version announced by Google. The OTA updates started rolling for the Pixel devices and the first look of the new Android version is quite amazing. Google promises a better battery optimization in Android 9.0 with AI-driven algorithms to handle apps in the background. There are also new app actions, native notch support, improved notifications and much more. If you’re looking for Android 9.0 ROMs, you can now install the Lineage OS 16 ROM on Xiaomi Mi 5s.
The Xiaomi Mi 5s runs on Snapdragon 821 coupled with 3/4 GB RAM and is backed up by Adreno 530 GPU for graphical processing. It boasts a Full HD display (1080 x 1920 pixels) with a 16:9 aspect ratio. It has a 3200 mAh battery which is sufficient for moderate usage. Mi 5s was launched with Android 6.0 and later upgrade to Android 7 Nougat. So, it would be a long way for Android Pie upgrade (if Xiaomi plans for one).
Lineage OS 16 ROM for Xiaomi Mi 5s
Lineage OS 16 ROM for Xiaomi Mi 5s ROM is developed by LuK1337 of XDA developers. It brings all the latest Android 9.0 features to your device along with some of the Lineage OS features. The Lineage OS 16 is based on Android 9.0 Pie which is yet to be released, so you can expect some bugs. But so far, the ROM is reported to be smooth and has little bugs. If you’re interested to install Lineage OS 16 ROM on Xiaomi Mi 5s, here’s how to download and install the ROM.
How to Install Lineage OS 16 ROM on Xiaomi Mi 5s
- This ROM is only for the Xiaomi Mi 5s.
- Charge your device at least 50% before flashing the ROM.
- Backup your device to make sure you’ve all the important data if something doesn’t go as per the plan.
- Install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Mi 5s
Download the Gapps and Lineage OS ROM for Mi 5s to your device’s storage.
How to Install Lineage OS 16 on Mi 5s
- Make sure you have the TWRP recovery installed on your phone.
- Also, ensure that you have copied the Gapps and Lineage OS 16 ROM files after installing TWRP.
- Power down your smartphone.
- Press and hold Volume Up + Power button for about 5 seconds. Release the Power key when Mi logo appears and continue holding Volume Up button until the recovery mode appears.
- Make a nandroid backup of your device in TWRP recovery. To do this, navigate to Backup option, select the partitions available and swipe right to make a backup.
- After completing the backup, format your device.
- In TWRP recovery, click on Wipe » Advanced Wipe. Select data, system, cache and, Dalvik-cache on this page and wipe them.
- In the TWRP, click on Install » Install Zip » Locate and select the Lineage OS ROM file. Swipe screen to flash this file.
- Similarly, flash the Gapps for Android Pie.
- In the end, get back to the main menu in TWRP and click on Wipe » Advanced Wipe » Select Cache & Dalvik Cache » Swipe screen to wipe.
- After wiping, reboot your device.
That’s all. Your device will now boot into the Lineage OS 16 interface.