Huawei’s recent flagship Huawei P20 Pro was launched in April this year. Huawei P20 Pro is a device worthy of appreciation and praise which initially spotted with Android 8.0 Oreo-based EMUI OS. The company always tries to refine its EMUI software on top of Android core system. Huawei P20 Pro is not an exception as its software is periodically updated to further improve its performance. However, the users will get relief to hear that there is custom ROM based on Android 9.0. Here’s how to install AOSP 9 Pie ROM on Huawei P20 Pro.
It excelled in many ways and has proven itself to be an all-rounder smartphone. While AI and photography have been its cup of tea, it didn’t distance itself from excelling in other aspects such as build, performance and battery life. P20 Pro has an extremely glossy back panel that enhances it’s premium vibe, along with the rear cameras that are now in a vertical position.
The device features a 6.1-inches display with a screen resolution of 1080 x 2244 pixels. Also, it uses an OLED panel which allows the device to be thinner. It is powered by an Octa-core Hisilicon Kirin 970 processor coupled with 6GB of RAM and 128GB ROM. The camera on the Huawei P20 Pro comes with Triple Camera 40 MP + 20 MP + 8 MP with Leica optics, 3x optical zoom, phase detection and laser autofocus, dual-LED dual-tone flash rear camera and 24MP front shooting camera with autofocus. The triple camera featured to be RGB + Telephoto + Monochrome.
AOSP Pie ROM
The Google has started rolling out the next major version of Android for the supported Google Pixel devices. After the Android 8.0 Oreo, this is the 9th iteration of Android from Google. With Android Pie, Google has revamped many UI changes which include the notification panel, Settings, Quick Toggles and more.
Being an Android Open Source Project (AOSP) brings up the latest Google developed OS interface as custom ROM firmware. Android is an open source software stack for a wide range of mobile devices and a corresponding open source project led by Google. It is also loaded with Substratum theme engine.
AOSP Pie is the lightest ROM on the resources of the devices with high specs which provides stock UI/UX with various customizations features and clean user interface. AOSP is the official Android open source repository. The ROM comes pre-rooted so it saves you a flash of SuperSU. The well known Custom ROM CyanogenMod is forked from AOSP. It brings you the latest Google developed OS customizations.
So try, flash this massive AOSP 9 Pie ROM on Huawei P20 Pro.
AOSP Pie ROM Features
- Latest Security Patches
- OTA updates
- Expanded Desktop
- VIA Browser
- Heads up Customizations
- Battery Styles and Percentage
- Advanced Ambient Display
- Night Mode QS Tile
- Flip Button Animations
- LockScreen Shortcuts
- Advanced reboot
- Open Source
- Dynamic notification drawer headers
- Update all packages
- Update APNs
- Add OP gestures
- call recording
- Add call statistics
- Per call account selection
- Add and improve LTE toggle tile
- QS tile accent tint toggle
- Fix black, opaque notification shade issue
- APN bearer settings
- Fix lock clock size after rebooting
- Notification sound crash
- Fix few NPEs
- UI/UX improvements
- Performance improvement and bug fixes
Special Pie Features
- Gesture Navigation: With this release of Android, the Google removed the original home button with a pill that supports gestures. For instance, the users can slide up to show recent apps or slide right to quickly switch between apps.
- Revamped recent apps: With the earlier versions of Android, there used to be a stacked card list of Recent Apps. This is now replaced with a horizontal card list.
- Revamped user interface: The Android 9 Pie has an all-new user interface which is even more minimal. Google has used the Color Sche,e which they call it as Material Design 2 with this version of Android.
- Digital Wellbeing: Also known as Digital Wellbeing is One of our personal favorite features of the Android 9 Pie is the addition of a Dashboard. Now, the dashboard is that feature which would help you track your overall usage. Users can track the app(s) usage, sleep and more. The objective here is to prevent distractions and focus on productive things.
- Adaptive Battery: Durability fines the performance levels.
- It also packs extra settings in the Settings menu which allows you to customize everything from your status bar, battery settings, lock screen and much more.
- Internal/External storage
- Wi-Fi Hotspot
- Your device needs to have at least 60% charge to ensure it doesn’t run out of battery during the installation process.
- Enable USB Debugging on your phone. To do this, go to the device Settings » Developer options » toggle the “USB Debugging” switch.
- Install ADB & Fastboot tools on your PC. You can follow our simple guide which lets you install ADB & Fastboot tools in 15 seconds.
- Make sure you have the latest TWRP on Huawei P20 Pro. You can follow the TWRP installation tutorial.
Here’s a quick view on how to install AOSP Pie ROM on Huawei P20 Pro.
How to Install AOSP 9 Pie ROM on Huawei P20 Pro
- Download and transfer the AOSP Pie ROM and Gapps to your device’s internal storage.
- Reboot into recovery mode.
- Make a nandroid backup of your device in TWRP recovery. To do this, navigate to Backup option, select the partitions available and swipe right to make a backup.
- Format your device, once the backup is completed.
- In TWRP recovery, click on Wipe » Advanced Wipe. Select data, system, cache and, Dalvik-cache on this page and wipe them.
- Go back to TWRP main menu, tap on Install and select the AOSP Pie ROM file in your internal storage. Swipe to confirm OS flash.
- Now flash the Gapps Zip same as the ROM file.
- Reboot your device once both the files are flashed.
It will take some time on the first boot, nearly 5-10 minutes. Once the device boots up, you’ll be welcomed with the AOSP Pie OS setup screen.