OnePlus 3T is the latest rockstar from OnePlus. OnePlus 3T was released just recently. It brought prominent upgrades over its predecessor, the OnePlus 3. OnePlus 3T carries a 5.5-inch display with 401 ppi. The phone runs on Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow out of the box, but it has already been updated to Android 7.1 Nougat as off January 1, 2017. OnePlus 3T pulled off the Snapdragon 821 CPU accompanied by Adreno 530 GPU. The RAM is 6GB, which is the same as the OnePlus 3 and the internal storage is either 64GB or 128GB. A 16 MP shooter at the back and a 16 MP shooter on the front is fixed. OnePlus 3T has a whopping 3400 mAh battery juice.
One of the best things about OnePlus is that it produces development-friendly smartphones. It has always been very easy for Android developers to get around the corners and unleash the beast out of OnePlus powered phones. Same is the case with the OnePlus 3T as well. The phone has already been blessed by a TWRP recovery and root access. TWRP straight away points towards freedom. With the recovery, you can flash zip files, backup every single partition and wipe certain partitions of your phone.
TWRP recovery is just the way of getting complete control of your phone. With the root access, you can tweak the performance of your phone and also bring in new features using applications like Xposed Framework. There is a lot more you can do with the help of a custom recovery and root access. If you’re planning to become a power Android user, then these are the two very basic things that you must experience on your Android smartphone.
How To Install TWRP Recovery and Root OnePlus 3T
Now that you guys have an idea about TWRP recovery and root access, it is the time for us to flash it on your OnePlus 3T. Here’s a detailed guide on how to install TWRP custom recovery and root your all-new OnePlus 3T. Follow the guide carefully to avoid any trouble later on.
Precautions & Prep
- This guide is intended for OnePlus 3T only. Do not try this method on any other device otherwise, you may result in bricking it.
- Make sure that your phone’s battery is charged up to 80% in order to avoid any power issues during the flashing process.
- Backup all of your important contacts, call logs, SMS messages and media content to stay on a safe end.
- Enable USB debugging mode on your OnePlux 3T in developer options. To do so, go to settings > about device > tap build number for 7 times. You will have developer options in settings now. Open developer options > Enable USB debugging. If you have the “OEM Unlocking“ option, enable it as well.
- Use your original data cable to establish a connection between your phone and your PC.
- Follow this guide to the letter to avoid any mishap.
Disclaimer: The methods involved in flashing custom recoveries and rooting the device are highly custom. Rooting the device and flashing a custom recover is never recommended by a device manufacturer. In case something goes wrong, TechBeasts or the device manufacturers may not be held responsible. Make sure that you’re doing everything at your own risk.
Required downloads & installations
- Download and install OnePlus USB drivers.
- Download and install Minimal ADB & Fastboot drivers.
- Download SuperSu.zip file and copy it to your phone’s internal storage after unlocking the bootloader.
Unlock OnePlus 3T Bootloader
Unlocking bootloader will wipe your device. Make sure that you’ve backed up everything before going ahead.
- Make sure that you’ve downloaded and installed Minimal ADB & Fastboot drivers on your Windows PC or installed Mac ADB & Fastboot for Mac.
- Connect your phone to your PC now.
- Now open Minimal ADB & Fastboot.exe from your desktop. If you do not have this file on your desktop, then go to your Windows installation drive i.e. C drive > Program Files > Minimal ADB & Fastboot > Press and hold Shift Key + Right-click on an empty area with the open folder > click “Open command window here”.
- Now in the command window enter the following commands one by one.
This will reboot your Nvidia Shield in bootloader. Once booted up, issue the following command.
This command will verify the connection of your device with your PC in fastboot mode.
fastboot oem unlock
This command will unlock the bootloader. As soon as you press the enter key after typing this command, you will get a message in your phone asking for the confirmation of bootloader unlocking. Use volume up & down keys to navigate through options and confirm unlocking.
This command will reboot your phone. That’s all, disconnect your phone.
Install TWRP Recovery and Root OnePlus 3T
- Download recovery.img file for OnePlus 3T
- Copy recovery.img file to Minimal ADB & Fastboot folder which is located in program files in your windows installation drive.
- Now boot your OnePlus 3 into fastboot mode as suggested in step 4 above.
- Connect your OnePlus 3 to your PC now.
- Open Minimal ADB & Fastboot.exe explained in step 3 above.
- Now in the command window enter following commands:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot boot recovery.img
(this will boot your device in TWRP recovery mode)
- At this point, TWRP will ask you whether you want to allow system modifications. Typically, you would want to allow modifications. By swiping right, you will trigger the dm-verity verification. Right after triggering it, you will have to flash SuperSU on your phone.
- Go ahead now and flash the SuperSU by tapping the Install option. In case your phone’s storage isn’t working, you will have to perform a data wipe to enable storage. After wiping the data, go back to the main menu and tap the “Mount” option and then tap Mount USB Storage.
- After mounting USB storage, connect your phone to your PC and transfer SuperSU.zip file to your phone.
- Through all this process, do not restart your phone. Stay in the TWRP recovery.
- Now get back to the main menu and once again tap “Install > Locate newly copied SuperSU.zip file and flash it”.
- After flashing SuperSU, reboot your phone. You are all done.
- Your device will boot up now. Find SuperSu in the app drawer. Install the Root Checker app to verify root access.
To boot manually into TWRP recovery mode, unplug USB cable from your OnePlus 3T and turn off your device completely by keeping the power key pressed for a while. Now press and hold Volume Down + Power Key to turn on your OnePlus 3T. As soon as your phone’s screen turns on, leave the Power Key and keep the Volume Down Key pressed. Your device will now boot into TWRP recovery mode.
Don’t forget to create a Nandroid Backup for your OnePlus 3 now. Also, check out how to use Titanium Backup since you’ve got your phone rooted. That’s all. Stuck with something? Don’t worry! Reach us out through the comment box below.