Xiaomi is one of the major smartphone manufacturers in the world with a high impact on the Asian markets. It owns the budget and mid-range smartphones market majorly and drives people crazy with the flash sales. The Redmi Note 4 is one of the most sold phones from Xiaomi and comes with a power packed hardware for the price point. The company runs on MIUI OS which is a bulkier cousin of Android and comes with a lot of bloatware. Although the interface looks good, it makes the devices slower with time. However, you can unlock the bootloader and install TWRP on Redmi Note 4 to open the possibilities of custom ROMs.
Coming to the specifications of the device, it has a complete metal body design and boasts a 5.5-inch Full HD display. Powered by the Snapdragon 625 CPU, the device comes with 3 GB RAM & 32GB storage option and 4 GB RAM & 64 GB storage option. On the camera front, a 13MP camera is fitted at the back and a 5 MP camera on the front. The device is backed up with a 4100 mAh non-removable battery which is sufficient for day’s usage.
TWRP for Redmi Note 4
The manufacturer provided stock recovery is literally of no use if you’re planning of big things. The stock recovery only has options to flash an update zip which you can do through OTA and an option to factory reset. This is where a custom recovery like TWRP shines. TWRP has an intuitive touch interface with a lot of useful options. You can take Nandroid backups, restore the backups in case your device stuck at bootloop, flash custom ROMs, mods and any flashable ZIP file. Apart from that, you can wipe individual partitions on your device, run custom scripts and much more.
The Redmi Note 4 has the official TWRP support and can be downloaded from TWRP website. In this tutorial, we will see how to unlock bootloader and install TWRP on Redmi Note 4. But before we proceed, make sure you have a backup of important files on your internal storage. The installation process is quite easy but the bootloader unlock will wipe your internal storage. So, if you’re ready to go, let’s get on with the installation.
- This guide is only for the Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Snapdragon variant only. Do not try this on any other phone.
- Charge your phone good enough so that it doesn’t go dead during the installation process.
- Backup your call logs, contacts and SMS messages. Also backup your media content. This is important since unlocking the bootloader will completely wipe your phone.
- Enable OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging mode on your device.
- Use the OEM data cable to connect your phone to your PC.
- Unlock your bootloader
- Download and install Minimal ADB and Fastboot drivers on your computer.
- Install Xiaomi USB drivers on your computer and install them.
- Download the latest TWRP image file from here. Rename this file to recovery.img and copy it to the ADB and Fastboot folder.
How to Install TWRP on Redmi Note 4
- Navigate to the folder where you have installed ADB and fastboot files on your computer.
- Connect your device to the PC using a USB cable.
- Open a command prompt window from the ADB and Fastboot folder [Press shift key + right-click on any blank space of the folder] and then select “Open command window here” from the context menu.
- Execute the below command to reboot to bootloader.
adb reboot bootloader
- Make sure the “recovery.img” file is in the fastboot folder and execute the below command to flash it on your device.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- It will take a couple of seconds for the TWRP recovery image to flash.
- Once the flashing process is complete, reboot the device.
That’s all. You can now try to enter TWRP mode on your Redmi Note 4 by holding Volume Up + Power button.