It’s been only a month since the Android 9.0 Pie launch and the custom ROMs are already pouring out. Although the ROMs are still in the early stages, they provide a good Android Pie experience. Notably, the Lineage OS 16 ROMs are available for many devices and Redmi 3s is one of them. Thanks to riteshsaxena of XDA, the Redmi 3s users can now get the taste of Android Pie quite early. In this tutorial, we will show you how to install Lineage OS 16 ROM on Redmi 3s smartphone.
The Redmi 3s was launched a couple of years back but it’s still receiving continuous support from developers. The smartphone is handy with a 5-inch 720p resolution display. It is powered by Snapdragon 430 coupled with 2 GB RAM and Adreno 505 GPU. A 13MP camera was housed at the rear while a 5MP camera sits at the front. Also, the humongous 4100 mAh battery is provided for a longer battery life. It’s good to see that low budget smartphones also receiving constant support from the Android community.
Lineage OS 16 ROM for Redmi 3s
Lineage OS ROM is based on AOSP and brings near stock experience to your Android device. This means there is no bloatware on this device, unlike the MIUI OS which is heavily modded by Xiaomi. So, the device runs faster and without any lags. Also, you get many customization options and security settings in the Lineage OS ROM. Once you install Lineage OS ROM on your device, you can explore the settings to customize your device as per your taste.
The Lineage OS 16 ROM is based on Android 9.0 Pie and brings the latest features of Android Pie to your device. Google assured better battery optimizations, improved notifications, new material design theme, revamped UI and much more. The ROM developed by riteshsaxena
What’s working :
- RIL (Calls, SMS, Data)
- IR Blaster
- Video Playback
So, if you’re interested to flash this ROM on your Redmi 3s, follow the below procedure carefully.
How to Install Lineage OS 16 ROM on Redmi 3s
- This ROM is only for the Redmi 3s.
- Charge your device at least 50% before flashing the ROM.
- Backup your device to make sure you’ve all the important data if something doesn’t go as per the plan.
- Install TWRP Recovery on Redmi 3s
Download the Gapps and Lineage OS ROM for Redmi 3s to your device’s storage.
- Make sure you have the TWRP recovery installed on your phone.
- Also, ensure that you have copied the Gapps and Lineage OS 16 ROM files after installing TWRP.
- Power down your smartphone.
- Press and hold Volume Up + Power button for about 5 seconds. Release the Power key when Mi logo appears and continue holding Volume Up button until the recovery mode appears.
- Make a nandroid backup of your device in TWRP recovery. To do this, navigate to Backup option, select the partitions available and swipe right to make a backup.
- Format your device, once the backup is completed.
- In TWRP recovery, click on Wipe » Advanced Wipe. Select data, system, cache and, Dalvik-cache on this page and wipe them.
- In the TWRP, click on Install » Install Zip » Locate and select the Lineage OS ROM file. Swipe screen to flash this file.
- Similarly, flash the Gapps for Android Pie.
- In the end, get back to the main menu in TWRP and click on Wipe » Advanced Wipe » Select Cache & Dalvik Cache » Swipe screen to wipe.
- After wiping, reboot your device.
That’s all. It will take some time for the device to boot first time as it builds initial cache, so don’t worry if it takes 10-15 minutes.