While phone makers are updating their phones to Android Pie, Samsung is still busy updating its phones to Android Oreo. Samsung is one phone maker that is the last to update any of its devices to the latest version of Android. The device that Samsung has updated to Android Oreo today was the least expected device to get a software update. In a surprising move, Samsung has updated its low-end Galaxy Xcover 4 phone to Android Oreo. The Galaxy Xcover 4 skips Android 8.0 and the device has got the Android 8.1.0 Oreo update straight away.
Android 8.1.0 update has started rolling out for the Galaxy Xcover 4 in Singapore. If you own this device out of Singapore, you might not be able to get the OTA right now. To update this device to Android 8.1.0 Oreo without waiting for the OTA, you will have to opt for a manual installation method. Galaxy Xcover 4 owners can follow this guide to download and install Galaxy Xcover 4 Android 8.1 Oreo.
Galaxy Xcover 4 Recap
The Samsung Galaxy Xcover 4 is a low-end smartphone. This phone was launched by Samsung back in April 2017. The Galaxy Xcover 4 boasts off a 5.0-inches IPS LCD display. This screen has a resolution of 720 x 1280 pixels. The Galaxy Xcover 4 is powered by Exynos 7570 CPU. It has the Mali-T720 MP2 GPU to accompany its Exynos SoC. There is RAM of 2GB inside this phone. It has a 16GB internal storage chip. The internal storage can be expanded with the help of a microSD card. Galaxy Xcover 4 has a 13MP shooter at its back. For selfies, this phone has a 5MP camera on the front. There is a 2,800 mAh battery inside this phone. It ran on Android Nougat out of the box. The phone has been surprisingly updated to Android Oreo today.
Galaxy Xcover 4 Android 8.1 Oreo
The Android 8.1.0 Oreo update for the Galaxy Xcover 4 comes with exciting changes. First of all, this update will change the whole look of the notifications panel, the lockscreen and the status bar of your phone. The icons appearing in the notifications panel have a new background. The cards appearing in the notifications screen and also on the lockscreen are completely redesigned. Samsung has upgraded the File Manager application. The recent files menu can be seen in the File Manager. Settings application has also received a complete UI overhaul in this update. Samsung has improved the overall performance of the phone. The battery life is better now. Previous bugs have been fixed as well.
Install Galaxy Xcover 4 Android 8.1 Oreo
- This guide is only for Galaxy Xcover 4 G390YD.
- Charge your phone up to 50% to avoid power loss during firmware upgrade.
- Backup each and everything if you want to wipe your phone during installation.
- Turn off Samsung Kies or Smart Switch while using Odin.
- Use OEM Data Cable to connect Galaxy Xcover 4 to your computer.
- Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking on your phone.
- Follow the remaining steps carefully now.
- Odin 3.13.1 for PC
- Extract to get Odin3.exe file.
- Samsung Android USB Drivers
- Download and install on your computer.
- Galaxy Xcover 4 G390YDXU2BRH7 Firmware File: Download
Installing Android Oreo on Galaxy Xcover 4
- First of all, open Odin3.exe file on your computer.
- In Odin, click on Options > Make sure that only options checked are F.Reset.Time and Auto Reboot.
- Get back to main menu in Odin.
- Click on AP, select the AP file. Now click on CP, select the CP file. Click on BL, select the BL file.
- Now click on CSC, select the CSC file if you want to perform clean installation, otherwise, select the HOME_CSC file.
- Power down your Galaxy Xcover 4 now.
- Press and hold Volume Down + Home + Power button to get into Download Mode. as the phone boots up, press Volume UP to continue.
- Connect Xcover 4 to the computer now.
- Odin will show “Added” in the log box and also show a Blue light making the connection successful.
- Click on the “Start” button in Odin now.
- Firmware will be flashed and your phone will reboot automatically in about 5-7 minutes. Disconnect the phone now.
That’s all. Your phone will now run on the latest Android 8.1 Oreo firmware now. If you have any queries, feel free to reach out to me using the comments section below.