Ladies and Gentlemen! It is a big day for the Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus owners. Samsung has finally started rolling out the official Android Pie build for the Galaxy S9/S9 Plus. The update first rolled out in Germany. The update carries the build XXU2CRLI. You can update your Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus to Android Pie XXU2CRLI Firmware right away. This is official and stable update. It’s not Android Pie beta anymore. Follow the steps given in this guide to update your S9 or S9 Plus to Android Pie. Before we begin updating, let us learn a little bit about this firmware.
Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus Android Pie
For the last couple of months, Samsung has been teasing the Android Pie for Galaxy S9, Galaxy S9 Plus, Galaxy Note 9 and the Galaxy Note 8. Samsung was all set to introduce a brand new UI for all of its flagship devices. The Android Pie beta update gave the users a great idea about all the upcoming features. Although Samsung is the slowest manufacturer when it comes to Android updates, it managed to keep the excitement of the users alive by giving them an early look to the changes it was set to bring.
The Android Pie for Samsung handsets is the biggest overhaul in Samsung’s history of Android updates. This update brings a whole new UI which is named as the One UI. One UI changes the way elements look on the screen of your phone. Samsung has completely revamped the icons, the recent apps menu, the settings application and also all other stock applications. One UI also adds rounded icons to the notifications panel of the phones. Samsung has now added a button in the navigation bar of the phone to rotate between portrait and landscape modes on the phone. This update also adds the Kids mode button to the quick toggles. The camera application has got a completely new look too.
The Android Pie update introduces the Adaptive battery mode. This is the AI-based mode which learns how to maintain the battery of your phone according to your usage. The much-awaited Dark Mode is also available on the Samsung phones now. This mode will help you to save further battery since the flagship Android phones use the Super AMOLED screens.
Head over the Android Pie firmware details before you upgrade your phone.
Android Pie Firmware Details
This update first appeared in Germany. The update is available for the Galaxy S9 carrying the model number G960F and the Galaxy S9 Plus carrying the model number G965F. It does not matter what region your Galaxy S9 or S9 Plus belongs to, as long as it has the G960F or G965F model number, you can flash it. You only need to match the model number here. Here are the other details of this official stable Android Pie update.
- Region: Germany (DBT)
- Android: Android 9.0 Pie [One UI]
- Changelist: 15044066
- Build Date: 19th December 2018
- Security Patch Level: 12/01/2018
- PDA: G960FXXU2CRLI | G965FXXU2CRLI
- CSC: G960FOXM2CRLI | G965FOXM2CRLI
Update Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus to Android Pie XXU2CRLI
- First of all, go to Settings > About Phone > Check the model number of your phone. It must be G960F or G965F. This update will not work on any other model of the S9/S9 Plus.
- Enable OEM Unlocking on your phone. To do so, open Settings > About phone > Tap the Build number 7 times. Now go back to Settings > Developer Options > Enable OEM Unlocking.
- Enable USB Debugging mode from the Developer Options as well.
- Back up all of your contacts, messages, call logs, and media content.
- Use OEM Data cable to connect your phone to the computer.
- Make sure your S9/S9 Plus is running on latest Android Oreo or Android Pie Beta.
- This is an official update. It will not harm your phone. You can flash it without any fear.
- Follow the remaining steps very carefully.
- Galaxy S9: G960FXXU2CRLI Firmware
- Galaxy S9 Plus: G965XXU2CRLI Firmware
- Download and extract the firmware file for your phone. You will get 5 files including the AP file, the BL file, CP file, CSC, and Home_CSC files.
- Odin 3.13.1 for PC [Download and extract to get Odin3.exe file]
- Samsung USB Drivers [Download and install]
Install Official Android Pie on Galaxy S9/S9 Plus
- Open Odin 3.13.1.exe on your computer.
- In Odin, click on options and make sure that the Auto Reboot and F.Reset.Time is checked. No other option should be checked.
- In Odin, click on the AP tab and select the AP file.
- In the BL tab, select the BL file.
- Under the CP, select the CP file.
- In CSC, select the CSC file if you want to wipe your phone and if you do not want to wipe data, select the Home_CSC file.
- It is always recommended to perform a clean installation.
- Now power down your Galaxy S9 or S9 Plus. Press and hold Volume Down + Home + Power button on the phone.
- As the phone boots showing a warning, press the Volume Up button to continue. Your phone is in the download mode now.
- Connect your phone to the computer now.
- As Odin shows the blue light in ID:COM box and “Added” in the log box, click the Start button.
- Odin will now start flashing the firmware. It can take up to 7 minutes.
- Once done, your phone will automatically reboot.
- Disconnect the phone and enjoy the all-new Android Pie with One UI on it.
So, guys, that’s all with the Android Pie installation on the Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9 Plus. This update is supposed run flawlessly on your phone. You can enjoy the brand new One UI with all the new features. One UI brings massive improvements and the features that we have never seen on the Samsung Galaxy handsets before. I hope that you found this guide useful. If you have anything to ask or anything to add to this guide, feel free to reach out to us.