TWRP is one of the most popular custom recoveries for Android smartphones. It is a touch-based custom recovery with an intuitive interface and a lot of useful functions. In this article, we will show you how to unlock bootloader and install TWRP on Asus Zenfone 2 Laser smartphone. Once you’ve installed TWRP, you can easily root your device and install various custom ROMs available in developer forums. However, be aware that tampering your device in any way voids warranty unless it’s done by an authorized personnel.
The Asus Zenfone 2 Laser is a mid-range smartphone launched in 2015. It’s been already three years since the device launch but the custom development for the device is still going on. So, you’ll find various custom ROMs, mods and themes for the device. If you wish to flash them on your device, you can do it using a custom recovery like TWRP. Before that, you need to unlock the bootloader on your device. This will wipe the device completely, so make sure you have a backup of the internal storage. Also, unlocking the bootloader voids warranty but as the device is already three years old, we believe that ship has sailed already.
So, if you’re ready to go, let’s see how to unlock the bootloader and install TWRP on Asus Zenfone 2 Laser.
- This guide is only for the Asus Zenfone 2 Laser with the code name ZOOL/ZOOT. Do not try this on any other phone.
- Charge your phone good enough so that it doesn’t go dead during the installation process.
- Backup your call logs, contacts and SMS messages. Also backup your media content. This is important since unlocking the bootloader will completely wipe your phone.
- Enable OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging mode on your device.
- Use the OEM data cable to connect your phone to your PC.
- Download and install Minimal ADB and Fastboot drivers on your computer.
- Install Xiaomi USB drivers on your computer and install them.
- Download the latest TWRP image file for ZOOL or ZOOT based on the device model number. Rename this file to recovery.img and copy it to the ADB and Fastboot folder.
- Download the bootloader unlocker app as per your OS version. For Marshmallow firmware, download the app from here and Lollipop firmware, download it from here.
Unlock the Bootloader on Zenfone 2 Laser
Unlocking the bootloader on Asus Zenfone 2 Laser is done through a bootloader unlock app. You need to download the unlocker app from the above-provided links based on the firmware you’re on. Also, make sure that your device is updated to V220.127.116.111 or later. So, if you’re already on the latest firmware, download the APK from above and transfer it to your device.
Now, install the APK just as any other app. Launch the app once installed, you will see on-screen instructions to unlock the bootloader. Follow the instructions and wait for the process to complete. Your phone will be rebooted once the process is complete.
How to Install TWRP on Asus Zenfone 2 Laser
- Navigate to the folder where you have installed ADB and fastboot files on your computer.
- Connect your device to the PC using a USB cable.
- Open a command prompt window from the ADB and Fastboot folder [Press shift key + right-click on any blank space of the folder] and then select “Open command window here” from the context menu.
- Execute the below command to reboot to bootloader.
adb reboot bootloader
- Make sure the “recovery.img” file is in the fastboot folder and execute the below command to flash it on your device.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- It will take a couple of seconds for the TWRP recovery image to flash.
- Once the flashing process is complete, reboot the device.
That’s all. You have successfully installed TWRP on your Zenfone 2 Laser smartphone. You can reboot into recovery mode by pressing “Volume down + Power” buttons until your device boots into recovery mode.