This is the guide on how to install TWRP recovery and Root Galaxy J7 Max 2017 G615F. The guide is divided into two parts. First of all, you will learn how to flash TWRP recovery on Galaxy J7 Max. In the second part, you will learn how to Root Galaxy J7 Max G615F. Before starting the guide, we will go through a recap of this phone.
The Galaxy J7 Max was released last year in June. The phone comes with a PLS capacitive touchscreen of 5.7-inch having 1080P resolution and 386 PPI. Ths phone has got an aluminum body surrounded by plastic ends. The Galaxy J7 Max is powered by MediaTek MT6757 Helio P20 CPU. Internal storage of this phone is 32GB and the RAM is of 4GB. It has an external card slot which supports up to 256GB.
This phone has a 13MP shooter at its back and the same 13MP shooter on the front too. A 3,300 mAh battery is placed inside. The Galaxy J7 Max runs on Android 7.0 Nougat out of the box. This phone has bright chances of getting updated to Android Oreo, however, Samsung has never said a word about its update.
We can continue with the guide now. Go through all parts of this guide attentively. This process is going to be highly custom. If you are an Android expert, you are going to do it smoothly. However, if you are a newbie, you have to follow each and every single word carefully. If you follow this guide properly, nothing is going to go wrong and you will be able to successfully install TWRP and root the phone. A single mistake can soft-brick your phone.
Install TWRP Recovery and Root Galaxy J7 Max 2017 G615F
TWRP recovery and root files will work for the Galaxy J7 Max G615F. Do not try this method on any other device as you will result in bricking it because of invalid files.
Charge your phone up to 50% to avoid power issues during flashing process.
Enable USB deubgging from the developer options in your phone.
Enable OEM Unlocking on your phone from the developer options as well.
Backup all your important contacts, call logs, sms messages and media content.
Use your phone’s original data cable to connect it to your PC.
If you have Samsung Kies installed on your PC, turn it off while using Odin.
Disable Firewall/Antivirus in order to download the files properly.
Get a microSD card or a USB OTG since you need to copy the files to it.
Follow the rest of the method being very careful.
- Install Samsung USB drivers on your PC.
- Download Odin 3.11.1 on your PC and extract it to get Odin3.exe.
- Also, Download TWRP Recovery for Galaxy J7 Max: twrp_3.1.1-1_sm-g615f_26817.tar
- Download SuperSU.zip and DM-Verity file and copy these files to an external SD card or a USB OTG.
How to Install TWRP Custom Recovery and Root Galaxy J7 Max
- Open Odin3.exe file from the extracted Odin files that you downloaded above.
- Put your Galaxy J7 Max in download mode now. To do so, turn off your phone first. Now turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Down + Power + Home button. As soon as your device boots up showing a Downloading screen, leave the keys.
- Connect your phone to your PC now. Odin should show an “Added” message in the logs and also show the blue light in the ID:COM box. This will verify a successful connection between your phone and your PC.
- Now click on the “AP” tab in Odin and select the TWRP Recovery.img.tar file according to your device carefully.
- The options ticked in Odin should be only “F.Reset Time“. Make sure that the Auto-Reboot option is not checked, we do not want to reboot the phone after flashing TWRP recovery.
- After selecting the file and checking/unchecking the options carefully, hit the start button. Odin will now flash the TWRP and show you a PASS message in a few minutes.
- Once done, disconnect your device from your PC now. Do not reboot your device.
Root and disable forced encryption
- Now you need to boot directly into TWRP Recovery. Turn off your phone completely and turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home + Power key now. Your phone should successfully boot into newly installed custom recovery.
- TWRP will ask you whether you want to allow modifications or not, you will need to swipe the finger to the right to enable modifications. Swiping the finger to right will trigger dm-verity, if you will need to disable it immediately. Leaving it enabled will let you boot the phone neither root it. This is an important stuff since we want to be able to modify the system.
- Now tap “Wipe > Format Data > type “yes” to format data. This is important to disable encryption. This step will factory reset your phone, so make sure that you’ve backed up the entire data at hand.
- Now make sure that you’ve copied the SuperSU.zip and dm-verity.zip files in external SD Card or USB OTG, if not then transfer both these files to your external SD Card by using MTP mode in TWRP now.
- Once you have the files, tap “Install > locate the SuperSU.zip according to the location where you copied > flash it”.
- Now once again tap “Install > locate the dm-verity.zip file > flash it”.
- Once done flashing, reboot your phone to the system.
- That’s all. You’re rooted and have a TWRP recovery installed. Best of luck.
- Verify root now: How to check Android phone is rooted or not using Root Checker
Let me know if I can help you guys any further. That’s all for now.