Those of you carrying a Galaxy Note FE running on Android Nougat or Android Oreo can root it now. The Galaxy Note FE comes with the RMM Lock, this is why rooting this device is a little bit tricky. Follow this guide carefully to install TWRP and Root Galaxy Note FE without any hiccups.
Before I show you the method to root Galaxy Note FE, let’s understand this RMM Lock first. Usually, rooting a Samsung device is incredibly easy. All you have to do is to enable the OEM Unlock on your phone and root it using the appropriate files. You can root a Samsung Galaxy handset straight out of the box.
- 1 About RMM State of Note FE – Important!
- 2 Install TWRP And Root Galaxy Note FE [Nougat and Oreo]
About RMM State of Note FE – Important!
The case, however, is different for the Galaxy Note FE. This Galaxy Note 7 turned Galaxy Note FE has the RMM enabled on its bootloader. This means the users cannot root a phone unless the RMM has been disabled on the phone. The RMM is enabled on every single Galaxy Note FE out of the box. This lock follows a counter. Once your Galaxy Note FE reaches 7 days of Up time, the RMM lock vanishes from the phone and you are free to flash custom ROMs, custom recoveries or to root the phone.
If you are thinking that the RMM gives you a relief by disabling itself after 7 days of Up time, you are totally wrong. If you format the data partition of your phone, this lock is going to come back. Even if you flash a new stock firmware on your phone, this lock is coming back to haunt you once again. While flashing anything custom, this lock gives you the error “custom binary has been blocked due to remaining installment balance” and you have to flash a stock ROM to get out of it.
So, to root the Galaxy Note FE, you have to flash the RMM patch and only then you are going to get rid of it. Having this file flashed on your phone, you will not be facing the RMM lock again and again. You will get rid of it for good.
Check the Up time before rooting
If you have no idea whether your phone has this RMM lock or not, you can check it right away. Simply turn off your phone. Now press and hold Volume Down + Power + Home button. Your phone will be in the download mode now. At the top of the screen, if you can see the RMM State: Prenormal, it means the RMM is there. In such a case, you have to wait for 7 days of Up time on your phone and only then you should follow this guide. If there is no such thing in the download mode, consider yourself lucky and follow this guide without worrying about the RMM.
To check the Up time of your phone, go to Settings > About Phone > Status > Up time. Keep in mind that this up time resets every time you reboot your phone. So to make the RMM go away, you must keep your phone on, without a single reboot, for 7 days.
The rooting process is going to be lengthy. You have to bear with me for a while. Just follow this guide being extra-careful and everything should go smoothly for you. Let’s start now.
Install TWRP And Root Galaxy Note FE [Nougat and Oreo]
Equipment needed to install TWRP and Root Galaxy Note FE
- A Windows-powered computer.
- A Galaxy Note FE running Android Nougat or Oreo.
- Original data cable of your Galaxy Note FE.
- Samsung USB Drivers – Available below.
- Odin 3.13.1 for PC – Available below.
- An External SD card or USB OTG if you have one.
- Some other files which are also listed here.
Necessary preparations to install TWRP and Root Note FE
- This guide is only for the Galaxy Note FE N935F/DS. Do not try this on any other phone.
- Backup all of the data from your phone since this guide will wipe the phone a few times.
- Enable OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging mode on Galaxy Note FE.
- Disable Windows Firewall and the Antivirus if you have one.
- Charge your Galaxy Note FE up to 50% to avoid power issues during the rooting process.
Note: This is a highly custom process. If your phone is under warranty, you will lose its warranty after rooting it. Make sure that you are following the procedure at your own risk. In case of a mishap, TechBeasts, Samsung or the Recovery/Root developer may not be held responsible.
- Samsung USB Drivers – Download and install.
- Odin 3.13.1 – Download and extract.
- TWRP for Galaxy Note FE – Download
- Magisk – Download [Copy it to USB OTG or External SD Card]
- RMM Patch – Download [Copy it to USB OTG or External SD Card]
Install TWRP Recovery on Note FE Android Nougat or Oreo
- Open Odin 3.13.1.exe on your computer.
- Turn off your phone. Now turn on your phone by pressing and holding Volume Down + Home + Power button. Your phone will display the “Downloading” screen which means it’s in download mode.
- Connect Note FE to your computer now. The ID:COM box in Odin will turn blue showing 0:[COM] in case the connection is successful.
- In Odin, click on Options and make sure that the only option selected is F.Reset.Time. No other option should be ticked or checked.
- Now in Odin, click on the AP tab and select the TWRP.img.tar file that you downloaded above.
- Click on the Start button in Odin and let it flash TWRP.
- Disconnect your phone from the computer now.
- Press and hold Volume Down + Home button to reboot, the moment the screen goes black, immediately switch from Volume Down to Volume Up button.
- This will boot your phone into the newly installed TWRP.
- The recovery will ask you to swipe the screen to allow modifications. Select “Never show this screen during boot again” and Swipe the screen, do not do anything else. Just follow the next steps now.
Root Galaxy Note FE on Android Nougat or Oreo
- In TWRP recovery, tap Wipe > Format Data > Type “YES” to format the data now. This step will remove encryption.
- Now go back to the main menu in TWRP and tap Reboot > Recovery.
- You will be in the TWRP recovery once again.
- Now tap Install > Install Zip > Find Magisk in your external SD card or USB OTG > Flash it.
- Get back to the main menu in TWRP and tap Wipe > Advanced Wipe > Select Cache and Dalvik Cache > Wipe.
- Go back to the main menu in TWRP again and tap Install > Install Zip > Find the RMM Package from where you copied it and flash it.
- Get back to the TWRP recovery’s main menu, wipe Cache and Dalvik Cache again and reboot the phone into the system this time.
- Setup your phone and download the build.prop editor on it.
- Open build.prop editor and change the value in the line “r.security.vaultkeeepr.feature=” to 0.
- Reboot your phone now. This reboot will take a few minutes so keep patience. After reboot, follow the next steps.
No, we are not done yet. The SecurityLogAgent and Samsung Anti Malware will be there to haunt you, so it’s important to disable them now.
- On your Note FE, download and install CSC Features Expert for Samsung.
- Open the application and allow permission for root.
- In the application’s search bar, type “DisableAntiMalware“.
- Tap the DisableAntiMalware option and enter the value “TRUE“.
- Tap Save now.
- Reboot your phone. That’s all.
Finally, we are done rooting the Note FE with the TWRP recovery installed. We have disabled the RMM, the SecurityLogAgent and the Samsung Anti Malware as well. I hope that this guide was easy to follow. If you need help with anything, feel free to reach out to me through the comments section. I will try my best to help you out.