Got a Galaxy S4 Mini lying around? It’s time to pick it up, wipe the dust off from it, and give it a new life. This pretty old device has got the pretty new version of Android i.e. the Android 8.1 Oreo. You heard that right. You can now upgrade your S4 Mini to the latest and greatest version of Android.
The Android 8.1 Oreo for the Galaxy S4 Mini comes in the form of LineageOS 15.1. If you don’t know yet, the LineageOS is the rebranded name of the CyanogenMod. LineageOS has successfully become the most widely used custom ROM for the Android smartphones.
This ROM has given a new life to thousands of old Android handsets. So, any Android phone, that has been forgotten by its manufacturer, can be easily upgraded to a higher version of Android with the help of LineageOS 15.1
The LineageOS 15.1 for Galaxy S4 Mini is built by XDA Recognized Developer arco68. It’s an unofficial build of LineageOS. The ROM still hasn’t reached its most stable state, however, the mainstream features are working fine. The ROM has a very good performance and battery life as well. It’s based on AOSP, so you will find everything very close to the stock Android.
LineageOS is free of any kind of bloatware. It doesn’t even have the Gapps inside. If you wish to upgrade your phone using a custom ROM, you will have to install the Gapps as well.
Follow these steps to update Galaxy S4 Mini to Android Oreo via LineageOS 15.1. In order to flash the ROM, you need a TWRP custom recovery on your phone. You can also learn to flash the recovery using the guide available on our site. Follow the steps carefully now.
Equipment needed to update Galaxy S4 Mini to Android Oreo
- Galaxy S4 Mini running on stock firmware.
- A computer to download the files.
- A data cable to copy the files to your phone.
- An external SD card if you don’t want to use the internal memory. There is no problem in using the internal memory though.
- This guide is for the Galaxy S4 Mini only. It will work on GT-I9190, I9192 and I9195 variants of the S4 Mini.
- Do not try this guide on any other phone.
- Charge your phone up to 50% to avoid power loss during the installation process.
- Backup your phone before you flash the ROM.
- If you are a newbie, you have to be extra careful with the flashing process.
- TWRP Recovery for LineageOS 15.1 – Download and install
- LineageOS 15.1 for your phone:
- Download the ROM and copy it to your phone’s internal or external storage.
- Gapps file – Download and copy it to your phone.
Update Galaxy S4 Mini To Android Oreo Via LineageOS 15.1
- Boot your Galaxy S4 Mini into the TWRP recovery. To do so, turn it off. Turn on the phone by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home + Power button.
- Once in TWRP, tap Install > Install Zip > Find the ROM.zip file and flash it.
- Get back to the main menu in TWRP and once again tap Install > Install Zip > Find the Gapps.zip file and flash it.
- Now go back to the main menu and tap Wipe > Advanced Wipe > Select cache and Dalvik cache > Wipe.
- From the main menu, tap Reboot > System now.
- Your phone will boot into the system. First boot can take up to 10 minutes. Wait patiently.
- As your phone boots up, you will find the LineageOS 15.1 installed on it. That’s all.