Galaxy Tab S2 owners can now enjoy the Android Pie on their device. No, we haven’t got an official update and we probably won’t get one either. The Galaxy Tab S2 has been updated to Android Pie with the help of a custom ROM. The ROM behind Android 9 for Tab S2 is the LineageOS 16.
If you have been using your Tab on the Android Nougat, it’s time to bring in a new UI and new features on your device. The LineageOS 16 can be easily installed on the T813 variant of the Galaxy Tab S2. The Custom ROM is currently in its very early stages, but it has got almost all of the basic features working fine. To update Galaxy Tab S2 T813 to Android Pie LinegaeOS 16, all you have to do is to follow the steps given here. Before flashing Android Pie on Tab S2 T813, let’s go through the specifications of the device.
Galaxy Tab S2 T813 Recap
Samsung released the Galaxy Tab S2 back in 2016. The device came with a Super AMOLED display of 9.7-inch. The resolution of this device was 1536 x 2048 pixels having 264 ppi. Galaxy Tab S2 T813’s dimensions are 237.3 x 169 x 5.6 mm and it weighs at 389 grams. Galaxy Tab S2 was powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 652 CPU accompanied by Adreno 510 GPU.
There is a 4 GB RAM and 32/64 GB internal storage on this device. It has an 8 MP camera sensor at the back. On the front, there is a camera of only 2.1 MP. It has a whopping 5,870 mAh battery under the hood. Out of the box, this device ran on Android Lollipop. The Galaxy Tab S2 received official Android updates till Android Nougat. Since then, there has been no sign of a further Android update. The only way to update this device now is to use a custom ROM.
If you don’t already know about LineageOS 16, you can read all about it here. Assuming that everything is clear now, let’s head towards the instructions to update Galaxy Tab S2 to Android Pie. Follow the steps given here carefully to download Galaxy Tab S2 Android Pie LineageOS 16.
How To Update Galaxy Tab S2 T813 to Android Pie LineageOS 16 Custom ROM
Preparations to download LineageOS 16 Android 9 Pie on Galaxy Tab S2 T813
- This ROM will work only on the Tab S2 T813. Do not install it on any other device.
- Backup all of your data.
- Backup your contacts, find the full guide here.
- Also, backup important SMS messages, full guide here.
- Don’t forget to backup call logs, full guide here.
- Your Tab must be running on Android Nougat before installing this ROM.
- Follow this guide carefully.
Downloads required for Galaxy Tab S2 Android Pie
- Install TWRP custom recovery on Tab S2 T813
- Download Google Gapps for Android Pie
- Download Android Pie ROM.zip for Tab S2: lineage-16.0-20180825-UNOFFICIAL-gts210vewifi.zip
- Copy the ROM.zip and Gapps.zip files to your Tab S2.
Updating Galaxy Tab S2 T813 to Android Pie
- Turn off the Tab S2.
- Press and hold Volume Up + Home + Power button to boot into TWRP recovery.
- In TWRP, click on Wipe > Advanced Wipe > Select Cache, Data, Dalvik Cache & System > Swipe screen to wipe.
- Go back to main menu in TWRP.
- Click on Install > Install Zip > Locate ROM.zip file and flash it.
- Similarly, go to Install Zip once again and flash Gapps.zip file.
- Go to Wipe > Advanced Wipe > Select Cache & Dalvik Cache > Swipe screen to wipe.
- Reboot into the system now. Your Tab S2 will be running on Android Pie.
That’s all with the installation of Android Pie LineageOS 16 on the Tab S2. The first boot can take up to 10 minutes so keep patience during that time. If the phone fails to boot up or something else goes wrong, you may flash the stock ROM on the Tab to recovery it. In case of any queries, feel free to reach out to me.