Google has recently launched the latest Android version which is named as Android Pie. OTA updates have been rolled out to the Google Pixel smartphones and other major devices. While it may take some time for most manufacturers to release official Android 9.0 Pie updates, a lot of custom ROMs are being released. The Xiaomi Mi 5s Plus got the unofficial Lineage OS 16 ROM based on Android Pie with the latest features. In this tutorial, we will see how to install Lineage OS 16 ROM on Xiaomi Mi 5s Plus.
Talking about Mi 5s Plus, the smartphone runs on Snapdragon 821 chipset and Adreno 530 GPU coupled with 4/6 GB RAM based on the storage variant. It has a massive 5.7 inch Full HD display which is bright enough for outdoor usage. It is backed up by an ample 3800 mAh battery which can last a day of moderate usage. Although the device is over two years old, there is a lot of development going on and developers are releasing the latest custom ROMs.
Lineage OS 16 for Xiaomi Mi 5s Plus
Lineage OS is one of the most popular opensource ROMs which bring the vanilla Android operating system to your devices. The latest version Lineage OS 16 is based on the Android 9.0 Pie and is in the early stages of development. So, you can expect some bugs in the ROM. The ROM is a standalone package, so you’ll need to wipe clean your device before proceeding with the ROM installation. Also, the ROM package doesn’t contain any Google services, so you’ll need to install GApps for Android Pie along with the ROM.
The ROM installation is quite simple and you need a custom recovery like TWRP to install the ROM and GApps. So, before you proceed, you need to install TWRP or similar recovery. Also, a complete backup of your data is recommended as there is a possibility of data loss if anything goes wrong. If you’re looking forward to using Android Pie on your device, follow the step-to-step tutorial on how to install Lineage OS 16 ROM on Xiaomi Mi 5s Plus.
How to Install Lineage OS 16 ROM on Xiaomi Mi 5s Plus
- This ROM is only for the Xiaomi Mi 5s Plus.
- Charge your device at least 50% before flashing the ROM.
- Backup your device to make sure you’ve all the important data if something doesn’t go as per the plan.
- Install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Mi 5s Plus
Download the Gapps and Lineage OS ROM for Mi 5s Plus to your device’s storage.
How to Install Lineage OS 16 on Mi 5s Plus
- Make sure you have the TWRP recovery installed on your phone.
- Also, ensure that you have copied the Gapps and Lineage OS 16 ROM files after installing TWRP.
- Power down your smartphone.
- Press and hold Volume Up + Power button for about 5 seconds. Release the Power key when Mi logo appears and continue holding Volume Up button until the recovery mode appears.
- Make a nandroid backup of your device in TWRP recovery. To do this, navigate to Backup option, select the partitions available and swipe right to make a backup.
- Format your device, once the backup is completed.
- In TWRP recovery, click on Wipe » Advanced Wipe. Select data, system, cache and, Dalvik-cache on this page and wipe them.
- In the TWRP, click on Install » Install Zip » Locate and select the Lineage OS ROM file. Swipe screen to flash this file.
- Similarly, flash the Gapps for Android Pie.
- In the end, get back to the main menu in TWRP and click on Wipe » Advanced Wipe » Select Cache & Dalvik Cache » Swipe screen to wipe.
- After wiping, reboot your device.
That’s all. The first boot will take some time as it needs to build cache. Once the device boots up, you can see the Android Pie setup screen.