The wait is over and the great day has come. Sony started rolling out the long-awaited Android Lollipop update for the very first Xperia ZR siblings last night. The update has made its way for Xperia ZR, ZR, ZL & Tablet Z. Android 5.0.2 Lollipop rolled out through OTA update at first, but the firmware is now available through Sony PC Companion and through unofficial firmware download tools as well. If you’ve been waiting for the latest and greatest iteration of Android to hit your beloved Xperia ZR, this may be the chance for you to update your device. New firmware for Xperia ZR carries the build number 10.6.A.0.454 and its Android 5.0.2 Lollipop on the core. The update will take quite a while to hit all regions all around the world, but if you can’t wait, you may flash the Android 5.0.2 Lollipop 10.6.A.0.454 FTF file using Sony Flashtool in order to update your Xperia ZR C5502/C5503.
Before we head towards the guide to update Xperia ZR, let’s have a look on what’s new in the latest update. Android 5.0.2 brings the biggest changes in the history of Android to the devices it hit. The very first change is in the display department. Google introduced a new UI named as Material Design. All manufacturers who are rolling out Android Lollipop for their devices have revamped the UI according to Google’s Material Design. There are new notification cards on the lock screen. Multi-user and guest modes are there. Some applications have been enhanced. Over-all performance and battery life of the device seems to be improved.
The firmware that we are going to flash is completely official and untouched. It will not void the warranty of your device nor it will result in causing any damage. You can flash it using the guidelines carefully and update your Xperia ZR to latest Android 5.0.2 Lollipop 10.6.A.0.454 firmware right away. Without any further discussion, let’s go ahead and install the firmware on your beloved Xperia ZR now.
Some early preparations:
1. This is only for Sony Xperia ZR C5502 & C5503
This ROM is only for the device mentioned above. Make sure that your model number matches the one listed above. To do so, go to Settings > About Device on your device and see your model number. Flashing this firmware on any other device will result in bricking it so make sure that you meet this requirement first of all.
2. Battery should be charged at least over 60%.
Make sure that your battery is charged enough to complete the flashing process. In case your battery is low and your device goes dead during the flashing process, you may end up soft bricking your device as it won’t complete the flashing process.
3. Backup everything!
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. You may backup everything as listed below.
4. Enable USB Debugging Mode on your device.
Enable USB debugging mode on your device. To do so, tap settings>developer options>USB debugging. If you can’t find developer options in settings, then tap settings > about device and tap “Build Number” for 7 times and you’ll get em’ activated under settings.
5. Install and setup Sony Flashtool.
You must have installed Sony Flashtool. Find the full guide here.
After installing Sony Flashtool, open the Flashtool folder from the drive where you installed it. Now open Flashtool>Drivers>Flashtool-drivers.exe and install the Flashtool, Fastboot & Xperia ZR drivers from the list. [Important]
6. Use OEM data cable to establish connection.
Make sure that you use the phone’s original data cable to establish connection between your phone and the PC. Using a different data cable might result in interrupting the firmware installation.
How To Update Sony Xperia ZR C5502 & C5503 To Official Android 5.0.2 Lollipop 10.6.A.0.454 Firmware
Before moving forward, please make sure that you’ve read the pre requisites and ensure that you are set to go ahead.
- Download the latest firmware Android 5.0.2 Lollipop 10.6.A.0.454 FTF file.
- Copy the file and paste in Flashtool>Firmwares folder.
- Open Flashtool.exe now.
- Hit the small lightening button on the top left corner and select Flashmode.
- Select the FTF firmware file that you placed in the Firmware folder.
- From the right side, select what do you want to wipe. Data, cache and apps log, all wipes are recommended, perhaps you may select if you don’t want.
- Click on OK, and it will start preparing the firmware for flashing. This may take a little while to load.
- As soon as the firmware is loaded, it will prompt you to attach the phone by turning it off and keeping the back key press.
- For Xperia ZR Volume Down key will do the job of back key, just turn off your phone, keep the Volume Down key pressed and plug in the data cable.
- As soon as the phone is detected in Flashmode, the firmware will start flashing, leave the Volume Down key and let it flash the firmware.
- As soon as you see “Flashing ended or Finished Flashing” leave the Volume Down key, plug the cable out and reboot.
- That’s All! Congrats! You’ve installed latest Android 5.0.2 Lollipop on your Xperia ZR Enjoy
In case you got any queries or face any problems regarding this guide, please feel free to stop by the comment box below and let us know. We will get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks all!