Sony Xperia ZL also known as Sony Xperia ZQ, one of the early members of Xperia ZL family is now getting updated to official Android 5.0.2 Lollipop. The new firmware carries the build number 10.6.A.0.454, which is also the same for other old Xperia ZL smartphones. New firmware brings a lot of goodies to the device. The notable changes are in the UI. Sony has revamped its UI in order to comply with Material Design introduced by Google. Some applications are updated. Performance and battery life of Xperia ZL are reportedly enhanced.
At the moment, this update is rolling out through OTA, Sony PC companion and also available in XperiFirm. The update will take some time to hit all regions. If you happen to be in a region where updates reach late, or just in case you can’t wait for OTA or Sony PC Companion to bring this update for you, you may want to flash it right away. You can update your device manually by means of an FTF file and using Sony Flashtool. Wondering how? Well, that’s what we are here for.
In the on-going guide we are going to install the official Android 5.0.2 Lollipop 10.6.A.0.454 firmware on our beloved Sony Xperia ZL C6502, C6503 & C6506. We will be flashing the latest 10.6.A.0.454 FTF using Sony Flashtool. The firmware linked here is completely official and untouched. This doesn’t contain any kind of modification. This firmware will not void the warranty of your device, nor it will cause any damage to your device. In order to flash the firmware and update your Xperia ZR to Android Lollipop successfully, make sure that you follow this guide to the letter. Let’s move ahead and install the Lollipop Android on your Xperia ZR.
Some early preparations:
1. This is only for Sony Xperia ZL C6502, C6503 & C6506.
This ROM is only for the device mentioned above. Make sure that your model number matches the one listed above. To do so, go to Settings > About Device on your device and see your model number. Flashing this firmware on any other device will result in bricking it so make sure that you meet this requirement first of all.
2. Battery should be charged at least over 60%.
Make sure that your battery is charged enough to complete the flashing process. In case your battery is low and your device goes dead during the flashing process, you may end up soft bricking your device as it won’t complete the flashing process.
3. Backup everything!
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. You may backup everything as listed below.
4. Enable USB Debugging Mode on your device.
Enable USB debugging mode on your device. To do so, tap settings>developer options>USB debugging. If you can’t find developer options in settings, then tap settings > about device and tap “Build Number” for 7 times and you’ll get em’ activated under settings.
5. Install and setup Sony Flashtool.
You must have installed Sony Flashtool. Find the full guide here.
After installing Sony Flashtool, open the Flashtool folder from the drive where you installed it. Now open Flashtool>Drivers>Flashtool-drivers.exe and install the Flashtool, Fastboot & Xperia ZL drivers from the list. [Important]
6. Use OEM data cable to establish connection.
Make sure that you use the phone’s original data cable to establish connection between your phone and the PC. Using a different data cable might result in interrupting the firmware installation.
How To Update Sony Xperia ZL C6502, C6503 & C6506. To Official Android 5.0.2 Lollipop 10.6.A.0.454 Firmware
Before moving forward, please make sure that you’ve read the pre requisites and ensure that you are set to go ahead.
- Download the latest firmware Android 5.0.2 Lollipop 10.6.A.0.454 FTF file.
- Copy the file and paste in Flashtool>Firmwares folder.
- Open Flashtool.exe now.
- Hit the small lightening button on the top left corner and select Flashmode.
- Select the FTF firmware file that you placed in the Firmware folder.
- From the right side, select what do you want to wipe. Data, cache and apps log, all wipes are recommended, perhaps you may select if you don’t want.
- Click on OK, and it will start preparing the firmware for flashing. This may take a little while to load.
- As soon as the firmware is loaded, it will prompt you to attach the phone by turning it off and keeping the back key press.
- For Xperia ZL Volume Down key will do the job of back key, just turn off your phone, keep the Volume Down key pressed and plug in the data cable.
- As soon as the phone is detected in Flash-mode, the firmware will start flashing, leave the Volume Down key and let it flash the firmware.
- As soon as you see “Flashing ended or Finished Flashing” leave the Volume Down key, plug the cable out and reboot.
- That’s All! Congrats! You’ve installed latest Android 5.0.2 Lollipop on your Xperia ZL Enjoy
In case you got any queries or face any problems regarding this guide, please feel free to stop by the comment box below and let us know. We will get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks all!