Galaxy S5 Neo is the lesser known Galaxy S5. The device is slightly different from the original Galaxy S5. Samsung released the Galaxy S5 Neo right after it released the S5. The specifications of the Galaxy S5 Neo are nearly the same as that of the S5. The Galaxy S5 Neo Neo comes with a 5.1-inch 1080P display. Like the Galaxy S5, this phone is waterproof as well. The S5 Neo is powered by Exynos 7580 CPU. A RAM of 2GB is placed inside while the internal storage of this phone is 16GB. An external SD card slot is there as well. Galaxy S5 Neo has a 16MP camera at its back and a 5MP camera on the front. This phone has a 2800 mAh battery placed inside.
Galaxy S5 Neo was released running on Android KitKat out of the box. The phone was updated to Android 7.0. The Android Nougat update for this phone was quite surprising as Samsung didn’t update the original Galaxy S5 to Android Nougat. Galaxy S5’s updates came to an end after the Android Marshmallow update. The lucky Galaxy S5 Neo owners got a chance to run the Android Nougat in a full swing. Unfortunately, this was the last official update for the S5 Neo. Since then, there hasn’t been any further update for this device.
Upgrade your Galaxy S5 Neo to Android Oreo using LineageOS 15.1
Galaxy S5 Neo owners, who want to enjoy Android 8.1 Oreo on their phone, will have to opt for a custom ROM now. There are many custom ROMs making it possible for the S5 Neo to run on Android Oreo. However, if you want to use a custom ROM as a daily driver, you have to pick up the best one. LineageOS 15.1, the most popular custom ROM is also out for the Galaxy S5 Neo. The LineageOS 15.1’s build for the Galaxy S5 Neo is in its stable stage now which means you can keep it as your daily driver as well.
LineageOS 15.1 for the Galaxy S5 Neo is based on the Android 8.1 Oreo. This is an AOSP based ROM. LineageOS 15.1 gives you the Vanilla Android experience. There are no third-party apps or any kind of bloatware installed in this ROM. These are the goodies that make LineageOS 15.1 the much wanted custom ROM for everyone. Most of the primary features have been found working fine in this ROM. Galaxy S5 Neo owners will find the WiFi, NFC, Bluetooth, Camera, Video Playback, Audio, Sensors, GPS and calling features working smoothly in the LineageOS 15.1 ROM.
Galaxy S5 Neo owners, who are on this page at the moment, are probably here to update their phone. Let’s skip further discussion in order to flash the ROM now. The steps given in this guide will help you to update Galaxy S5 Neo to Android 8.1 Oreo via LineageOS 15.1.
- This ROM is only for the Galaxy S5 Neo G903F. Do not try this on any other device.
- Charge your phone up to 60% to avoid power loss during flashing process.
- Backup all of your contacts, call logs, SMS Messages and media content.
- If your phone is already rooted, backup EFS and Nandroid as well.
- Download this TWRP Custom Recovery and flash it using this guide.
- lineage-15.1-20180715-UNOFFICIAL-s5neoltexx.zip: Download
- Google Gapps ARM – Android 8.1: Download
- addonsu-15.1-arm-signed.zip: Download
Update Galaxy S5 Neo to Android 8.1 Oreo via LineageOS 15.1
- Copy the ROM, Gapps and Addonsu files to your phone’s internal or external storage.
- Turn off your phone completely. Press and hold Power button + Home button + Volume Up to boot into the TWRP recovery.
- Once in TWRP recovery, tap Wipe > Advanced Wipe > Select Cache, Dalvik Cache, System and Data > Swipe screen to wipe.
- Get back to the main menu in TWRP and click on Install > Install Zip > Locate and select Lineage-15.1-xxxxx-xxxxx.zip file > Swipe screen to flash.
- Now similarly, click on Install once again, Install Zip > Locate Gapps.zip file and flash it.
- In the end, flash the Addonsu.zip file as well.
- Now click on Wipe > Advanced Wipe > Select Cache and Dalvik Cache > Swipe to wipe.
- Reboot into the system now. First boot can take up to 10 minutes.
That’s all with the LineageOS 15.1 installation. The custom ROMs can act weird at times. In case the experience turns out to be bad for you, you can immediately switch the stock ROM. Here is the guide to install stock ROM on your Galaxy S5 Neo. If you have any queries and questions, feel free to ask them through the comments section below. I will try my best to help you out. Have a good day!