Learn here how to download Play Store on Huawei and Honor Chinese phones. This guide will explain the tutorial in simple and easy steps. Before installing the Play Store on Huawei and Honor Chinese phones, it is important to understand the background of the missing Play Store on Chinese phones.
So before we jump up to the guide, let us take a look into the Internet censorship in China. I will also try to explain why some important platforms cannot operate in China and the importance of the Google Play Store. Without any further ado, let us start now.
- 1 Internet censorship in China
- 2 Why China restricts all those applications?
- 3 Google Play Store in China
- 4 Importance of the Google Play Store
- 5 Download Play Store on Huawei and Honor Chinese phones
- 6 Method# 1: Enable the pre-installed Play Store and Play Services
- 7 Method# 2: Install Play Store on Huawei and Honor Chinese phones that have no Google Mobile Services
Internet censorship in China
The internet in many countries is censored. Governments and authorities restrict certain information from making its way to the users. The censorship rules may not be that much strict in some countries, but when it comes to China, things get tough. People living in China have no access to the biggest search engine, biggest social media platforms, and the biggest communication applications. The government in China controls all the information, and it has all the right reasons to do so.
Chinese citizens cannot use Google. When we talk about Google, it means the Google search engine and every other application that falls under the umbrella of Google. They do not have access to Skype, which is the most popular video calling platform. People in China have no idea of what Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram are? WhatsApp and Viber do not work in the Chinese territory. The Google Play Store, which is the main source to download Android Apps on an Android phone, does not work in China either. In short, all the applications that a modern smartphone or computer user uses in his daily life, are restricted in China.
So, how do the Chinese people communicate and socialize? Well, they have their own search engines, one of the popular search engines in China is Baidu. They have their own social media platform known as Weibo. They also have their own communication application called WeChat. Same goes for all other applications that do not work in China.
Android is a product of Google, but the phones in China to run on Android. As mentioned earlier, the Chinese Android phones do not have the Google Play Store and Services in them. Users have the alternative app stores to grab the applications.
Why China restricts all those applications?
Over the course of the past few years, our lives have become so much connected to the internet that we cannot live without it. The way the behavior of users changed towards the internet in these years, the giants like Google, Facebook, and others expanded their goals.
What used to be a simple search engine, knows about you more than you yourself know. What used to be just a platform to interact with others, can now manipulate your internet activities. Companies like Google and Facebook have achieved this by continuously working on their products to keep a track of their users lives. We search for everything on the internet and Google records those queries. The Facebook and its Messenger have the capability to record our voice and show us the content based on our interests. These platforms can get so much involved in our private lives that at one point, it can get really hard to get rid of them. The spying capabilities are definitely out there as well. The manipulation of people by these tech giants has caused a distress.
Now the situation that I explained above is one reason for the Chinese government and lawmakers to restrict the open access to such platforms. Another reason for them to keep them from people is because they want to control the information. These two reasons are more than enough for the authorities to handle what you see on the internet.
Google Play Store in China
Chinese smartphone makers have played a great role in the innovation of the smartphone industry over the course of the past 3 years. We have seen great smartphones from phone manufacturers like Huawei, Honor, Xiaomi, Vivo, OnePlus, Oppo, and many others.
All these phone makers manufacture two versions of their smartphones. One version is for the Chinese audience and the other one is for the Global audience. The difference between both the versions is in the software department. Yes, the phones to run on Android, however, the type of applications and access to applications is different.
The Android phones for Chinese users do not have the Play Services, Play Store, Play Books, and Play Music. They do not have Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, Instagram, Snapchat, and all other such applications. They have all the alternatives only. The software on these phones is optimized to comply with the policies of the government. The case is otherwise with the Global variants.
As long as you are living in China, survival without the Play Store in China is possible, but if you are thinking to move out of China with the Huawei or Honor phone that you purchased from China, what are you going to do? The Chinese app store will not work outside China, and that is when you would want to have access to the Play Store. This is the very reason I am trying to explain everything in detail here right now. Let us understand the importance of the Google Play Store.
Importance of the Google Play Store
- Google Play Store is the largest applications repository in the world for a mobile operating system.
- It has nearly 1 Billion users all across the world.
- Play Store has nearly 4 Million applications available at the moment.
- There are over 40 Million songs uploaded on the Google Play Store.
- Over 8 Billion apps on average are installed from the Google Play Store in a month.
- Google keeps a safety check of all the applications to prevent any damage to your device.
- Google Play Store is available in over 190 countries.
- The Play Movies and TV are available in around 117 countries.
Now, this is the platform that you are missing out on your Chinese Huawei and Honor smartphones. If you have got a smartphone from Huawei or its subsidiary Honor, and it does not have Play Services/Play Store, it is the time to get it right now.
Assuming that you have a clear idea of everything, we will now move towards the tutorial to install the Play Store on Huawei and Honor Chinese phones.
Note: After following this guide, you will have access to the Play Store on your phone. This will let you download any applications of your choice anywhere in the world. The Play Store will work on your phone in all the countries afterward.
Download Play Store on Huawei and Honor Chinese phones
We have two methods to install the Play Services and Play Store on Huawei and Honor phones. The first method is to enable the pre-installed Play Store and Services on the phones that have it disabled by default. The second method is for the phones that have absolutely no traces of Google Mobile Services. So, in any case, you should give a try to the first method before going towards the second method. If the first one does not work, you can use the second method which will definitely work.
Method# 1: Enable the pre-installed Play Store and Play Services
This is the method for the phones that have the Google Mobile Services pre-installed.
- On your Chinese Huawei or Honor phone, open the Application Gallery.
- Now in the Gallery, change our country to China.
- Now search for the Google Play Store.
- As you find the Play Store in the gallery, click on “Update”.
- The update will now begin. As soon as the update ends, click on “Open”.
- This will start the Play Store setup. Finish and launch the Play Store. That’s all.
Method# 2: Install Play Store on Huawei and Honor Chinese phones that have no Google Mobile Services
Time needed: 12 minutes.
So, this is the method which will work on our Huawei or Honor handsets that have completely no sign of the Google Mobile Services, Play Services, and the Play Store. This method is extensive, so pay it a little attention.
- Enable Unknown Sources on Huawei and Honor
On your Huawei or Honor phone, open Settings.
Go to Security & Privacy and click on More.
Click on “Install Unknown Apps”.
Now find “Files” and open this option.
Tap the radio button to allow Unknown App installs from Files.
Allow Unknown Sources on Huawei and Honor phones.
- Download GMS Installer and Google Installer
For old Huawei and Honor phones, download this GMS Installer: GMS APK Link
For latest Honor phones get this GMS Installer: Gmsanzhuangqi Link
Google Installer: Link
Copy both the APKs to your Huawei Honor phone’s internal storage.
- Install GMS Installer (Gmsanzhuangqi)
Open Files on your phone, and find the Gmsanzhuangqi APK or GMS Installer APK.
Click on the APK to start its installation.
If it asks for permission, click on “Install Anyway”.
It will install the application now and asks you if you “Trust this application”. Turn on the trust option and do not open this application right now. Press the back button and follow the steps given below.
- Install Google Installer
Open Files once again and this time, find and open the Google Installer APK.
The APK will now ask you for installation permission, click on “Install Anyway”.
Once the installation ends, it will ask you if you “Trust this application”. Turn on the Trust feature.
The installation will now finish and it will show you the open button, open this application now.
- Installing Google Play Store and Play Services on Huawei and Honor Phones
1. At this point, we have installed the GMS Installer and the Google Installer. The Google Installer is already open on your phone showing you some options, so follow these steps now.
2. The Google Installer is now showing you a big blue “INSTALL” button. Click on this button to start the installation. If it asks for permission, click on “Allow” to let the installer install those apps.
3. The Installer will try to install 6 basic Google applications including Google Services Framework, Google Account Management, Google Play Service, Gooogle Calendar Synchronization Service, and Google Contacts Synchronization Service.
4. For each application, it will show you the “INSTALL ANYWAY” and “Trust this application” feature. Click on INSTALL ANYWAY and also turn on Trust this application for all the installations.
5. The entire process should take 2 – 3 minutes.
6. The installer will now keep showing you the progress, as it ends, it will show you the Google Play written inside a big red button.
7.Click on the red button now to launch the Google Play Store.
If you want to use the Play Store within China, you will have to get a VPN for that. Here is our list of best free VPN Apps for Chinese Android phones.
Run the GMS APK and it will ask you to remove Google Apps. Run it now. Reboot your phone now. Open Huawei App Gallery and change region to China. Now search for Google Play Store or Play Services and install/update it.
Run the GMS APK again, it will ask you to remove the Google apps. Answer Yes. After this, reboot your phone and check if there is an EMUI update. Update your phone. Now run the “Google Installer” application. This will install Google Apps in your phone. You can now run the Play Store.
Reboot your device. If there is an update available, update your phone. Run the Google Installer straight away and install the Google Apps. Check if it works this time.
Run the GMS APK on your phone again, it should ask you if you want to uninstall the Google Apps. Complete the uninstallation. Reboot your phone. Now only download the Google Installer 3.0 APK and install it. Complete the installation and you will have the play store.
That is all with the installation of Play Store on Huawei and Honor smartphones. You are now all set to download the unlimited applications from the biggest app store in the world. Install away any games, applications, or entertain yourself with all the content that is available on the Play Store. I hope that you guys found this guide really helpful. If something is not working for you or you are unable to understanding something, feel free to reach out to me. I will try to help you as soon as possible. Stay connected!