The Xperia XA2 is a mid-range Android smartphone released by Sony earlier this year. The device came with Android 8.0 Oreo out-of-the-box and there is no official 8.1 Oreo update released so far. Going with the delays in Sony’s update rollouts, we doubt there will be a major update to Xperia XA2 anytime soon. Luckily, LuK1337 of XDA developers has developed Lineage OS 16 ROM for Xperia XA2 which is based on Android 9.0 Pie. So, no more waiting for the official update from Sony, you can now simply install Lineage OS 16 ROM on Sony Xperia XA2.
Xperia XA2 is powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 630 processor coupled with 3GB RAM but the Sony apps and other bloatware might slow down the phone eventually. However, if you’d like to experience stock Android with no bloatware and plenty of OS customizations, Lineage OS is the perfect ROM. The Lineage OS ROM is a continuation to the widely popular CyanogenMod ROM. It comes with granular OS tweaking options along with a vanilla design. You can customize the ROM to your liking in many ways.
Lineage OS 16 for Sony Xperia XA2
Lineage OS 16 ROM is based on Android 9.0 Pie and is in its initial development stages. The official builds will come later but the unofficial build is almost bug-free. However, dual-SIM variants of the Xperia XA2 are not yet supported on this ROM. So, if you’re using a dual-SIM Xperia XA2, then keep away from this ROM unless you want the device bricked. The ROM is a standalone package, so you’ll need to wipe clean your device before proceeding with the ROM installation. Also, the ROM package doesn’t contain any Google services, so you’ll need to install GApps for Android Pie along with the ROM.
Installing a custom ROM is quite simple and you will need a custom ROM like TWRP to install flashable ZIP files. As installing the ROM would wipe your device, make sure to take a nandroid backup. This ensures that you have a complete backup of your device in case you run into boot loop issue or a bricked device. However, the nandroid backup doesn’t include your internal storage. So, make sure to back up your photos and other important stuff on your internal storage to PC. If you’re looking forward to using Android Pie on your device, follow the step-to-step tutorial on how to install Lineage OS 16 ROM on Sony Xperia XA2.
How to Install Lineage OS 16 ROM on Sony Xperia XA2
- This ROM is only for the single SIM variant of Sony Xperia XA2.
- Charge your device at least 50% before flashing the ROM.
- Backup your device to make sure you’ve all the important data if something doesn’t go as per the plan.
- Install TWRP Recovery on Sony Xperia XA2
Download the Gapps and Lineage OS ROM for Xperia XA2 to your device’s storage.
How to Install Lineage OS 16 on Sony Xperia XA2
- Make sure you have the TWRP recovery installed on your phone.
- Also, ensure that you have copied the Gapps and Lineage OS 16 ROM files after installing TWRP.
- Power down your smartphone.
- Boot in recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up and Power Button at the same time. When the screen flickers, release all buttons and you will see the recovery screen in a few seconds.
- Make a nandroid backup of your device in TWRP recovery. To do this, navigate to Backup option, select the partitions available and swipe right to make a backup.
- Format your device, once the backup is completed.
- In TWRP recovery, click on Wipe » Advanced Wipe. Select data, system, cache and, Dalvik-cache on this page and wipe them.
- In the TWRP, click on Install » Install Zip » Locate and select the Lineage OS ROM file. Swipe screen to flash this file.
- Similarly, flash the Gapps for Android Pie.
- In the end, get back to the main menu in TWRP and click on Wipe » Advanced Wipe » Select Cache & Dalvik Cache » Swipe screen to wipe.
- After wiping, reboot your device.
That’s all. The first boot will take some time as it needs to build cache. Once the device boots up, you can see the Android Pie setup screen.