Xiaomi Poco F1 has received a build of TWRP recovery. The phone has been rooted as well. Those users who are planning to get the Poco F1, they can start customizing their handset right after they get it. The Poco F1 is attracting the developers which means this phone is going to get a hang of a handful of custom ROMs and MODs. In this guide, you will learn how to install TWRP & Root Xiaomi Poco F1. Before going through the procedure to flash TWRP custom recovery on the Poco F1 and rooting it, let us have a flashback of this phone.
Xiaomi Poco F1
Xiaomi has manufactured the Poco F1 to tackle the budget-friendly competition. There are smartphone makers in the industry that are adding high-end hardware to their phones and offering it for a very low price tag. OnePlus is the most popular phone maker in this regard. Huawei has also upped its game with the help of the Huawei Honor Play. It looks like Xiaomi has realized that there is a great competition going on and it must play its part. Xiaomi’s soldier in this competition is the Poco F1.
The Poco F1 is the cheapest smartphone with the Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 CPU. The phone has Adreno 630 GPU. Poco F1 has a 6.18-inch display. Its resolution is 1080 x 2246 pixels and it has a display ratio of 18:9. There is a big notch right on the top of this screen. The notch houses the 20MP shooter. Poco F1 has a dual camera at the back. The dual camera system has a shooter of 12MP and the other shooter of 5MP. Right below this camera, there is a fingerprint scanner.
Poco F1 has a whopping 4,000 mAh battery placed inside. The phone runs on Android Oreo out of the box. Since the day Xiaomi announced the Poco F1, the users have been praising the company for producing such an option for them. Everything is good about this phone, but only as far as your expectations are not that high.
When we talk about a phone with high-end hardware in a very friendly-budget, we do not mean that you are going to get a premium build and all the premium features. For example, the Xiaomi Poco F1 comes with an IPS display. The phone is here to compete for the likes of OnePlus 6, but the OnePlus 6 has an OLED display which is far better. The Poco F1’s screen is not capable of running Netflix in HD. The phone’s build quality is not even close to that of the OnePlus 6. So yes, it is a great choice in its price offering, however, it is still far from posing a threat to the companies that Xiaomi intends to surpass.
Install TWRP & Root Xiaomi Poco F1
The available build of TWRP recovery for Poco F1 has been compiled by Shivam Kumar Jha (XDA senior member). The phone can be rooted with the help of latest Magisk. First of all, we will install the TWRP recovery. After installing the recovery, the Magisk.zip file will be flashed in order to gain root access on the Xiaomi Poco F1.
- This guide is only for Poco F1.
- Charge your phone up to 30%.
- Backup each and everything as this procedure will wipe your phone.
- Use OEM Data Cable to connect Poco F1 to the computer.
- Enable OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging on your phone.
- Unlock the bootloader of Poco F1.
- Disable the Windows Firewall or any Antivirus if you have one.
- Follow the remaining steps carefully.
- Xiaomi USB Drivers
- Minimal ADB and Fastboot Drivers
- TWRP Custom Recovery.img file [rename the recovery file to twrp.img only.]
- Magisk 17.1.zip
- Disable Force Encryption_Treble.zip file
- Copy the twrp.img file to C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot
Install TWRP Recovery on Poco F1
- From your computer’s desktop, launch the Minimal ADB and Fastboot.exe file.
- You will have a command window in front of your now.
- Connect the Poco F1 to the computer now.
- The phone will ask for USB Debugging, allow it.
- Now in the command window, enter the following commands one by one.
- adb reboot bootloader
- This command will reboot the phone into the fastboot mode.
- fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- This command will flash the TWRP recovery on your Poco F1.
- fastboot boot
- adb reboot bootloader
- This command will reboot the phone in TWRP recovery.
- The TWRP will now ask for a password. Simply click on Cancel here.
- You will enter the TWRP recovery now.
- In TWRP, click on “Wipe > Format Data > Yes”.
- Now click on “Mount” in TWRP, select all the options.
- Connect Poco F1 to the computer.
- Now copy the Disable Force Encryption and Magisk.zip files to the phone’s internal storage.
- Get back to the main menu in TWRP, click on Install > Install Zip > Locate Disable Force Encryption.zip > Flash the file.
- Now wipe cache/Dalvik cache by pressing the button appearing right after flashing ends.
- Follow the steps below to root the phone now.
Root Poco F1
- In TWRP, click on Install > Install Zip.
- Locate the Magisk.zip file.
- Flash the Magisk file now.
- After flashing ends, reboot into the system.
- Now launch the Magisk Manager from the application drawer to manage root on the phone. That’s all.
So, that’s how simple it was to install TWRP and root Xiaomi Poco F1. You are now free to install any custom ROM or a MOD on the phone. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me through the comments section below.