The Galaxy C series by Samsung is something worth a look. Samsung built these phones with a beautiful design and packed inside a premium build. Galaxy C smartphones did not show off what Samsung’s designers are capable of, it also showed that Samsung can make a beautiful smartphone and make it a powerhouse as well – both things at the same time. It was a slight disappointment for the users when they came to know that Samsung crafted these phones for the Chinese market primarily. Samsung realized the need of these smartphones in other regions soon and released it in other markets outside China as well. In the Galaxy C series, Galaxy C9 is one smartphone that tops the list. Galaxy C9 Pro stand inline next to Samsung’s Galaxy A9 from the Galaxy A series.
The Galaxy A9 comes with a 6.0-inch 1080p display. The phone runs on Qualcomm Snapdragon 653 CPU accompanied by Adreno 510 GPU. It has a whopping 64 GB internal memory chip, a monstrous 6 GB RAM, a 16 MP camera at its back and also a same shooter on the front. Galaxy C9 also incorporates a fingerprint scanner. It runs on Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow out of the box and it does have a huge 4000 mAh battery to entertain smartphone geeks.
It gives us a clear idea that Galaxy C9 Pro is a device that’s not meant to just make calls or text someone. It’s a device that deserves some out of the way treatment. If you own one, you can definitely check out what this phone is actually capable off. Tweaking your phone starts right from installing a custom recovery on it and then rooting it to open all the gates. Galaxy C9 Pro is one lucky device that can be rooted and it also has been blessed by custom recoveries. The custom recoveries and root access also originated from China. These phones do not have a lot of development in progress, but it’s not a bad deal to enjoy what you have for now.
There are certain benefits of rooting and install TWRP on your Galaxy C9 Pro. You can install applications like Greenify, install Xposed framework, flash MODs that are compatible and other stuff like that on your C9 Pro at the moment. Chinese C9 Pro users can also install Google Play Apps including Google Play Services, Google Play Store and more as that is more of a blessing for them. All this falls back on the availability of root access and a custom recovery on your device and that is exactly what we are about to do.
If you have understood everything well then we are all good to go ahead to install TWRP recovery and root Galaxy C9 Pro C900F/C9000.
Important instructions that you must follow before going ahead
- This tutorial will only work for Galaxy C9 Pro SM-C900 and the Chinese variant SM-C9000.
- Charge your phone up to 50% to avoid power issues during the process.
- Backup everything on your phone as the process involves going through a data wipe.
- Use OEM data cable to connect your phone to your PC.
- Your C9 Pro must be running HK firmware.
- Galaxy C9 Pro SM-C9000 owners need to unlock the bootloader of their device first.
- Disable reactivation lock and find my mobile as well using settings > security.
- Enable OEM Unlocking and USB debugging mode on your phone.
- Get a micro SD card or a USB OTG as we will need to copy some files to it.
Files you need to download:
- Install Samsung USB drivers on your PC.
- Download Odin 3.11.1 on your PC and extract it to get Odin3.exe.
- Download TWRP Recovery.img.tar file for Galaxy C9 Pro according to your device model number and firmware.
- Download modified SuperSU.zip and copy it to your device’s internal or external storage.
Note: These processes are highly custom and they will end up voiding your device’s warranty. In case of a mishap, Techbeasts or the device manufactuerer may not be held responsible. Make sure that you are doing everything at your own risk.
Install TWRP Recovery and Root Galaxy C9 Pro C910F/C9000
- Open Odin3 V3.11.1.exe that you extracted on your PC.
- Put your C9 Pro in download mode now. To do so, turn it off completely. Now turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Down + Home + Power Key. Once your phone boots up, press the Volume Up key to continue.
- Connect your phone to your PC now. The ID:COM box in the top-left corner of Odin3 should turn blue. This indicates that your phone is connected properly.
- Now click the “AP” tab in Odin and select the TWRP recovery.tar file that you downloaded. It will take a second or two for Odin3 to load this file.
- Make sure that your Odin3 looks like this. The only option ticked should be F. Reset Time.
- Now you’re all set to flash the recovery. Just click the start button in Odin3 and sit back.
- Once the process box above ID:COM box shows green light and flashing process is finished, disconnect your device.
- Now turn off your device properly as we are going to boot into recovery mode.
- Now turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home + Power Key. This will boot your device in recovery mode. It should be TWRP recovery that you just installed.
- TWRP recovery will boot up in the Chinese language, the very first screen requires you to swipe finger on screen. Do it and get to the home-screen. Now on the home-screen of TWRP, tap the 6th button, or the 2nd button in the third row. In the screen that opens up next, tap the 5th button in the top row or tap the right most button in the row showing above. This will take you to the language selection menu. Select English language and get back to the main screen of TWRP.
- Now in TWRP recovery, tap Install > locate SuperSU.zip file and flash it.
- Once done, reboot your device using recovery.
- As it boots up, checkout the SuperSu in application drawer. Also install BusyBox from Play Store.
- That’s all. You’re now set to unleash the open source nature of Android.
- Verify root now: How to check Android phone is rooted or not using Root Checker
- Also checkout: How to install Google Play Store on Galaxy C9 Pro C9000 [Chinese]
Let me know if I can help you guys any further. That’s all for now.