Xiaomi’s latest flagship Mi 8 now got port to install Google Pixel 2 ROM running on Android 9.0 Pie. The device uses definitively average hardware to showcase its stellar software. An XDA Senior Member argraur has now ported the Google Pixel 2 stock Android Pie firmware as a ROM for the Xiaomi Mi 8. Android 9.0 Pie is the latest Android version from Google and it brings a lot of new features. Some of the new features in Android Pie are new gesture navigation, adaptive battery and brightness, app actions, slices, and improved security features. Apart from Google Pixel smartphones, only a few smartphones received Android Pie OTA updates. Here’s how to install Google Pixel 2 ROM on Xiaomi Mi 8.
The Mi 8 smartphone features a 6.21 inch Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen display with 1080 x 2248 pixels resolution. It is powered by Snapdragon 845 coupled with 6 GB RAM for 4/128/256 GB ROM models & 8 GB RAM for 128GB ROM model. You can get this beast in 4 color variants Black, Blue, White, Gold. The device ported with dual camera pack of 12 MP, f/1.8, 1/2.55″, 1.4µm+12 MP, f/2.4 on rear and 20 MP, f/2.0, 0.9µm lens on the front. Likewise, the notch display encounters a key role on the device.
Google Pixel 2 ROM
The Google Pixel 2 ROM is different from Pixel Experience ROM. The difference being is it has lock screen weather, non-static home button animation, Pixel 2’s live wallpapers. Digital Wellbeing is said to work as well, and users will need to sign-in to the beta as on the Pixel. The ROM is also different from Android Pie GSIs for the Xiaomi Mi 8. The firmware for the Mi 8 is based on Android-9.0.0_r8 AOSP tag (PPR2.180905.006.A1). Unlike Pixel Experience where you are porting just Pixel features, the Google Pixel 2 ROM directly injects the stable Pixel 2 device’s ROM. You will have a soothing interface.
Alongside Pixel features, the ROM also features Gapps built-in so you don’t have to find & flash a compatible Gapps package separately via recovery. It is mostly stable with most of the important things known to be working and it also comes with the latest Google Apps pre-installed. The ROM brings full customizations, custom icon pack which Pixel generally use, good battery life and smooth experience. There are many features which come exclusively on pixel smartphone.
- Google Pixel 2 ROM v3.1sep
- Based on android-9.0.0_r10 AOSP tag (PPR2.181005.003)
- Google Apps imported from Google Pixel 2 (walleye) Pie firmware (PPR2.180905.005)
- GApps preloaded
- Sphinx kernel
- VoLTE works
- Lock screen weather
- Non-static home button animation (SystemUI directly from Pixel 2)
- Pixel 2 & 3 live wallpapers
- Wellbeing works (search for Wellbeing on Google Play Store, Sign in beta as on Pixel)
- Wi-Fi hotspot
- Bluetooth In-Call audio (normal media audio works)
- Your device needs to have at least 60% charge to ensure it doesn’t run out of battery during the installation process.
- Enable USB Debugging on your phone. To do this, go to the device Settings » Developer options » toggle the “USB Debugging” switch.
- Install ADB & Fastboot tools on your PC. You can follow our simple guide which lets you install ADB & Fastboot tools in 15 seconds.
- Make sure you have the latest TWRP on Xiaomi Mi 8. You can follow the TWRP on Xiaomi Mi 8 installation tutorial.
How to Install Pixel Experience ROM on Xiaomi Mi 8
- Download and transfer the Pixel Experience ROM 9.0 to your device’s internal storage.
- Reboot into recovery mode.
- Make a nandroid backup of your device in TWRP recovery. To do this, navigate to Backup option, select the partitions available and swipe right to make a backup.
- Format your device, once the backup is completed.
- In TWRP recovery, click on Wipe » Advanced Wipe. Select data, system, cache and, Dalvik-cache on this page and wipe them.
- Go back to TWRP main menu, tap on Install and select the Pixel Experience ROM 9.0 file in your internal storage. Swipe to confirm OS flash.
- No need to flash any Gaaps Zip file as they were preloaded in Pixel Experience ROM.
- Reboot your device.
It will take some time on the first boot, nearly 5-10 minutes. Once the device boots up, you’ll see the Pixel Experience ROM on Xiaomi Mi 8 with pixel setup screen.