OnePlus 5T’s bootloader can be unlocked within a few minutes easily. The Chinese phone maker OnePlus doesn’t restrict its users from unleashing the real power of the handsets. OnePlus users are free to unlock the bootloader of their phone and then apply any kind of customization to the phone. Since OnePlus 5T is the latest phone by the Chinese giant, a number of users are on the lookout for the method to unlock the bootloader of this phone. Before going through the tutorial, we will have a recap of how the OnePlus 5T came out.
The year 2017 has been such a rollercoaster for the smartphone manufacturers. We saw a plenty of new concepts introduced by various manufacturers in the smartphone industry. When the year started, Samsung took the first step by unveiling an all-display smartphone. The Galaxy S8 brought 18:9 display ratio and this quickly became a trend.
Other manufacturers followed Samsung’s footsteps and introduced their phones having the aforementioned display ratio. OnePlus released the OnePlus 5 with a normal display, and it quickly realized that the phone didn’t do quite well. OnePlus felt the need of a new phone with 18:9 display so it introduced the OnePlus 5T with slight changes.
Most part of the hardware on the OnePlus 5T is as same as that of the OnePlus 5, the phone differs in the display department mostly. OnePlus 5T is a beautiful smartphone. The phone had some issues with its camera initially, but OnePlus was quick enough to fix the issues with a software update. Everything about this phone seemed great unless OnePlus announced the time it will take to update the phone to Android Oreo. OnePlus 5T runs on Android Nougat out of the box, and it will get the Oreo update in the year 2018.
- Checkout: Download OnePlus 5T Stock Wallpapers
That was all about the OnePlus 5T. Now that we have discussed this phone, we can get back to the purpose of this guide. If you are wondering why you would want to unlock the bootloader of your phone, then there are several reasons to convince yourself.
To be able to flash a custom recovery, custom ROM or to root the phone, the very first thing you need to do is the unlocking of the bootloader. Manufacturers keep the bootloader locked to ensure the security and privacy of the phone.
The bootloader has the kernel code which is responsible for checking whether the system is intact or it’s modified. The bootloader is also responsible for helping your phone boot up. Before unlocking the bootloader, users are required to accept a few warnings. Once the bootloader is unlocked, users are completely on their own.
They are no longer eligible for warranty and other official services by the company. For Android enthusiasts, the warranty really doesn’t matter so the first thing they do right after grabbing a new handset is the unlocking of the bootloader, installation of a custom recovery and rooting the phone.
If you are reading this post, you are definitely here to learn how you can unlock the OnePlus 5T bootloader. Let’s go through the tutorial to unlock OnePlus 5T bootloader with the help the easiest method.
Things to take care of
- This guide is only for the OnePlus 5T. Do not try this on any other phone.
- Backup your contacts, call logs, text messages and media content. Unlocking bootloader will wipe your phone completely. Make sure that you have backed up everything beforehand.
- Enable USB Debugging mode on your phone. To do so, go to Settings > About Phone > Tap the build number for 7 times. Now get back to Settings > scroll down > open Developer Options > Enable USB Debugging now.
- Enable OEM Unlocking on your phone. To do so, go to Settings > About Phone > scroll all the way down > Developer Options > Enable OEM Unlocking.
- Enable Advanced Reboot. To do so, go to Settings > About Phone > scroll down and open Developer Options > Enable Advanced Reboot.
- Use original data cable to connect your OnePlus 5T to your computer.
- Follow this guide carefully.
- Download and install Minimal ADB and Fastboot drivers on your computer.
- Download and install OnePlus USB drivers on your computer.
How to Unlock OnePlus 5T Bootloader now
- On your computer, open the Minimal ADB and Fastboot.exe from the desktop. This will open the command window.
- Now press the power button on your phone, tap Reboot > Bootloader now. If the option is not appearing here for you, turn off your phone and then turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Up + Power button. This will boot your phone into the bootloader or fastboot mode.
- Now connect your phone to your computer.
- In the command window, enter the following commands one by one.
- fastboot devices
- This command will verify connection in the fastboot mode.
- fastboot oem unlock
- This command will unlock the bootloader. It will also wipe your phone completely.
- fastboot reboot
- This command will reboot your phone into the system.
- fastboot devices
That’s all for now. Don’t forget to learn to install TWRP recovery on OnePlus 5T. There’s a guide to root OnePlus 5T available on our site as well. In case you have got any queries, feel free to drop them in the comments section below.