The smartphone war is at peak at the moment, all the manufacturers are bringing up their best one after another, but not everyone is able to enjoy the high end and latest smartphones available out there just because the manufacturers over-price their products. Smartphones like Galaxy S5, HTC One M8, LG G3 etc come with the high-end specifications, but there is something that gives a tough competition to all these smartphones and wins the ground when it comes to price.
OnePlus One – The Budget-Friendly Beast
If you’ve guessed it, we’re talking about the OnePlus One. OnePlus One is currently being provided to selected users who got the invitation, the phone is yet to make its way to the market. OnePlus One comes with the top-notch specifications of the time, these include Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 Quad Core CPU clocked at 2.5 GHz, Adreno 330 GPU, a RAM of 3 GB, 16 and 64 GB internal storage. A 13 MP shooter is fixed at the back while a 5 MP on the front. The phone flaunts a beautiful 5.5 inches full HD display and a battery of 3100 mAh is under the hood. Quite a nice right? Well, the thing that created hype about this smartphone was its price and it left those in thoughts always expecting high-end smartphones at a higher price. The 16 GB variant of the OnePlus One costs only $300 and you got to pay only $50 extra for the 64 GB variant as it hits the market.
Well, if you ever happen to be the lucky owner of OnePlus One, you may want to test the limitations of this great smartphone. You can modify and check out the capabilities of your phone by loading a custom recovery and rooting it. Before you start looking out for both these here and there, we’ve found the methods and explained right here. In the following post, we will install TWRP recovery first and then root OnePlus One. All you need to do is, you need to follow this comprehensive guide being very careful in order to get it done successfully.
A custom recovery allows you to install custom ROMs, mods etc. Along with these, you can make a Nandroid backup, this helps you a lot as you can move back to the previous working state of your phone at any time you want if you have backed up your current system. In some cases, to root the phone you need to flash SuperSu.zip file in the custom recovery, having installed the recovery may help you while in some cases to install the recovery easily, You can also wipe cache and Dalvik cache of your phone using a custom recovery. There is a number of other options available in the custom recoveries that pave way for the device’s tweaking and deal with the problems efficiently.
Rooting an Android device:
Rooting your phone gives you complete access over all the data which is apparently locked by the manufacturers. This includes removal of the factory restrictions and making changes to the internal system and the operating system. Gaining the root access gives you the privileges to install various applications to enhance the performance of your device, allows you to remove the built-in applications/programs, helps you to upgrade the battery life of your device & install the apps which require the root access for the proper functionality and modify your device in so many other ways e.g using mods and flashing custom recoveries and custom ROMs. Here’s our collection of 10 Best Root Apps.
OnePlus One TWRP & Root
- This guide is OnePlus One only. Do not try this on any other smartphone, you may result in bricking it.
- You must have installed Android ADB & Fastboot drivers. Follow the quick guide here.
- Please make sure that your phone’s battery is charged at least over 60%. This is highly recommended in order to prevent any power issues during the recovery flashing process.
- Backup each and everything on your Android phone as follows:
- Now backup all your important contacts, find the full guide here.
- Also, backup all your important SMS messages, find the full guide here.
- Don’t forget to backup all your important call logs, find the full guide here.
- Backup all your important media content manually. (Copy to your PC.)
- Enable USB debugging mode on your device. Get it in Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging mode.
- Use only OEM data cable to establish connection between your PC and Phone.
- Alright! Follow this guide to the letter now.
Disclaimer: The methods involved in flashing custom roms and rooting your phone is highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is OnePlus in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
How To Install TWRP Recovery and Root OnePlus One:
- Download openrecovery-twrp-18.104.22.168-bacon.img file.
- Download SuperSu.zip file and copy it to your OnePlus One’s internal storage.
- Rename the downloaded file to boot.img
- Place the renamed twrp.img file in the Minimal ADB & Fastboot folder that you created using our ADB & Fastboot Quick Setup Guide.
- If you are using Android ADB & Fastboot full package, you can place the downloaded Recovery.img file in the Fastboot folder or in the Platform-tools folder.
- Open the folder where you placed the Boot.img file. E.g Minimal ADB & Fastboot or Fastboot or Platform Tools.
- Press and hold the shift key and right-click on an empty area within the folder, and click on “Open Command Window Here”.
- Connect your OnePlus One to your PC now.
Now type the following commands:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery boot.img
adb reboot recovery
- Once done with all these, you should be in the TWRP recovery.
- Now in TWRP recovery, select “Install > search for SuperSu.zip > flash it”.
- It will flash SuperSu and root your OnePlus One as well now.
- That’s all, Enjoy!
How to install busybox now?
- Go to the Google Play Store on your phone.
- Search for “Busybox Installer”.
- Once you find it, install it.
- Run the Busybox installer and proceed with the installation.
- That’s all!
How to check if the device is properly rooted or not?
- To do so, go to Google Play Store on your OnePlus One.
- Find “Root Checker” and install it.
- Open Root Checker.
- Tap “Verify Root”.
- It will ask you for SuperSu rights, tap “Grant”.
- It should show you Root Access Verified Now!
- That’s All!
That’s All with the recovery installation. In case you got any queries or face any difficulties regarding this post, please feel free to stop by the comment box below and let us know. We will get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks all.