This is your one-stop guide to disable/hide Notch on Android phones. I have added the tutorial to hide notch on almost all the phones that come with a notch.
2 years ago, the trend of bigger displays and smaller bezels made its way to the smartphone industry. Companies like Samsung and Huawei came forward with their displays having 18:9 screen ratio. At that time, the Android phone makers started removing the home button and other hard navigation keys from their phones. Android’s founder, Andy Rubin launched his own smartphone named as Essential Phone. The Essential phone came with a water-drop notch maximizing the display size. This was a whole new concept in the smartphone world. After these design changes, all eyes were on Apple.
- 1 Apple – The Notch Initiator
- 2 Disable/hide Notch on Android phones
- 2.1 How to hide notch on Xiaomi
- 2.2 How to hide notch on Huawei
- 2.3 How to hide notch on OnePlus
- 2.4 How to hide notch on Oppo
- 2.5 How to hide notch on Vivo
- 2.6 How to hide notch on Asus
- 2.7 How to hide notch on LG
- 2.8 How to hide notch on Realme
- 2.9 How to hide notch on Google Pixel 3XL
- 2.10 How to hide notch completely on Nokia, Oppo, Vivo, Realme, Lenovo, and Motorola
- 2.11 Conclusion
Apple – The Notch Initiator
Apple launched its iPhone X, iPhone 8, and iPhone 8 Plus in 2017. The iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus had the same old design as the previous iPhones. However, the iPhone X was something completely new. The iPhone X came with a screen having a 19:9 display ratio. Apple achieved this ratio with the help of the notch in the middle of the screen. The iPhone X came with very minimal bezels. At first, it looked like the notch is going to face the wrath of the audience. The notch was criticized, however, as the time passed on, the notch acceptance increased and finally, everyone started embracing notch.
Android phone makers – Let’s copy the ugly notch!
The acceptance for notch increased further when almost all the Android phone makers except Samsung went ahead and copied Apple to bring notch on their phones. These manufacturers include Huawei, Xiaomi, Vivo, OnePlus, ASUS, and even Google. Google, in fact, decided to go a step ahead and introduced the ugliest notch that we could ever imagine on a smartphone. Now that the notch trend was going in a full swing, Android manufacturers decided to opt out of it and go with the waterdrop notch that we initially saw on the Essential Phone. The waterdrop notch looks good, but it is still there and it interrupts your full-screen experience on the phone.
Customizable notch on Android phones
The notch on iPhones cannot be modified, because that’s Apple. Notch on Android phones is still acceptable because you can always turn it off. Be it the full Apple-like notch or the waterdrop notch, you can disable it. Disabling the notch changes the display ratio to 18:9. After disabling the notch, the display cutout vanishes making it easy for you to watch anything in the full screen or playing a game without any visual disturbance.
Android Phones that have a notch
Here is a list of all the Android phones that have a notch. These are over a 100 Android phones which have copied the notch concept.
- Redmi Note 6 Pro
- Pocophone F1
- Mi A2 Lite or Redmi 6 Pro
- Mi 8 Lite
- Mi 8
- Mi 8 Pro
- Mi 8 SE
- Mi 8 Explorer
- Mate 20 Pro
- Honor 8X
- Y9 2019
- P Smart+ or Nova 3i
- Hoor Magic 2
- P20 Pro
- P20 Lite
- Honor Play
- Mate 20 X
- Mate 20
- Nova 3
- Mate 20 Lite
- Honor 10
- Honor 8X Max
- Honor 9N or 9i
- Mate 20 RS Porsche Design
- Honor Note 10
- Honor 8C
- OnePlus 6
- OnePlus 6T
- V11 Pro
- Y83 Pro
- F9 Pro
- RX17 Pro
- RX17 Neo
- V40 ThinQ
- G7 ThinQ
- G7 One
- S5 Pro
- Zenfone 5z ZS620KL
- Zenfone 5 ZE620KL
- Pixel 3XL
- One Power
- One (P30 Play)
- Realme 2 Pro
- Realme 2
- Realme C1
Disable/hide Notch on Android phones
How to hide notch on Xiaomi
- On your Xiaomi phone powered by MIUI, open Settings.
- In Settings, go to Full-Screen Display.
- Now click on the option appearing next to “Hide Screen Notch”.
- The Notch will be now disabled.
- Enjoy your phone without the notch now.
How to hide notch on Huawei
- On your Huawei phone, go to Settings.
- In Settings, go to Display Settings.
- Now click on More Display Settings > Notch.
- If you can’t find the More Display Settings, you will find the Notch settings straight away in the Display Settings.
- Now click on the button appearing next to “Hide Notch”.
- The Notch will be gone now. Enjoy the phone with a good display.
How to hide notch on OnePlus
- On your OnePlus 6 or OnePlus 6T, open Settings.
- Now go to the Display Settings.
- Under the Display Settings, open “Notch Display”.
- Now click on “Hide the notch area” to disable the notch.
- That’s it, the Notch is gone now.
How to hide notch on Oppo
- On your Oppo Phone, open Settings.
- In Settings, go to Display & Brightness.
- Now open App Display in Full Screen.
- Change the settings to hide the notch now.
- That’s all.
Now, this feature will remove the Notch from a particular application on your phone. If you want to remove the notch from the entire display, you will have to install an application called Nacho Notch. Nacho Notch adds the Hide Notch feature to the notifications panel of your phone. You can simply pull the notifications bar and click on the Hide Notch option to get rid of the notch. Download Nacho Notch and install it to remove Notch from your Oppo Phone now.
How to hide notch on Vivo
- Open Settings > Display & Brightness.
- Now click on “Third-party app display ratio”.
- Click on the application that you want to hide the Notch from.
- Now click on “Safe Area Display”.
- Notch will be gone from that application now.
Note: Just like Oppo, the Notch will be gone from particular applications only. To remove the Notch completely from the display, get the Nacho Notch application (link give above next to Oppo tutorial) and hide the notch via that application.
How to hide notch on Asus
- On your Asus Zenfone, open Settings.
- Now in Settings > Display.
- Click on “Hide notch”.
- The notch will be gone now. That’s who simple it was.
How to hide notch on LG
- Open Settings.
- In Settings > Display.
- Now click on “New Second Screen”.
- You will see the Notch options now.
- Now click on custom and select the colors you want to replace the Notch with.
- Save the settings. That’s all. The Notch has been removed.
How to hide notch on Realme
- Open Settings.
- In Settings, go to Display & Brightness.
- Now click on “App Display in Full Screen”.
- You will find a list of applications now.
- Now disable the Notch for your desired application.
- If you want to remove Notch completely from the phone, you will have to install the Nacho Notch. Follow the method given below for that.
How to hide notch on Google Pixel 3XL
- First of all, open Settings.
- Go all the way down and open About Phone section.
- Tap the build number 7 times to enable Developer Options.
- Now get back to settings and open Developer Options.
- Under the Developer Options, find the “Display cutout” option.
- Open the Display Cutout settings and select “Hide”.
- The Notch from your Pixel 3XL will be gone now. Enjoy!
How to hide notch completely on Nokia, Oppo, Vivo, Realme, Lenovo, and Motorola
All the companies which are mentioned above in the heading, they allow removing notch from a particular application. If you want to remove notch completely from the phone by one of the above-mentioned phone makers, you will have to opt for a third party application. The best application that we have for this purpose is Nacho Notch. It does not require root or any other specific permissions. All you have to do is to install the application and disable the ugly notch on your phone. Follow these steps.
- Download and install Nacho Notch – Google Play Store.
- After installation, pull down the Notifications panel of your phone.
- Access more icons to find the “Hide notch” option.
- Drag the Hide notch option to the main notifications icon now.
- Now click on the hide notch button to disable the notch.
- You will get rid of the notch this way. That’s all.
That’s all folks. That’s how we can say goodbye to the infamous notch on our Android handsets. I hope that you guys find this tutorial helpful. If you have any other queries, feel free to reach out to me through the comments section below. Stay connected!