Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge can be updated to Android Pie now, thanks to the NexusOS custom ROM. The NexusOS custom ROM works with almost all the Exynos variants of the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge. These variants include the Galaxy S6 G920F, G920FD, G920I, G920K, G920L, G920T, and G920W8 and the Galaxy S7 Edge G925F, G925FD, G925I, G925K, G925L, G925T, and G925W8. In a while, I will show you the tutorial to install Android Pie on Galaxy S6/S6 Edge via NexusOS. Before installing Galaxy S6/S6 Edge Android Pie, let us take a look at the spec sheet of these phones.
Galaxy S6 & S6 Edge – Brief Overview
Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge were released back in March 2015. The Galaxy S6 has a flat 5.1-inch QHD display while the S6 Edge has a 5.1-inch curved display. Both these phones are powered by Exynos 7420 SoC accompanied by Mali-T760MP8 GPU. Inside the phones there is RAM of 3GB and internal storage of 32GB or 64GB. There is no external card slot on this phone. At the back, there is a 16MP shooter. On the front, there is a 5MP camera for selfies. The Galaxy S6 Edge has a 2,600 mAh battery and the S6 has a 2,550 mAh battery. Both these hones ran on Android Lollipop out of the box. These phones are currently running on Android Nougat. Samsung hasn’t rolled out the Android Oreo update for this phone so far.
Samsung has not even released the Android Oreo for this phone, the Android Pie looks like a dream far-fetched. Those of you who own the Galaxy S6 and plan on upgrading this phone, the best possible method is to use a custom ROM.
NexusOS Android Pie for Galaxy S6 & S6 Edge
In this ROM, you will find the features like Calls, SMS, Mobile Data running smoothly. The WiFi and WiFi hotspot is also functioning properly. Bluetooth, NFC, Fingerprint Scanner, Camera, Audio & Video Playback are also running fine in this ROM. The Bluetooth call-audio and plain GPS are the only two broken things in this ROM.
Install Android Pie on Galaxy S6/S6 Edge
- This ROM is only for Exynos Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge.
- Do not try this ROM on any other phone.
- Backup each and everything on your phone.
- Charge your phone up to 50% to avoid power loss during the installation process.
- Enable OEM Unlocking on the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge.
- Use OEM Data Cable to connect the phone to the computer when needed.
- Follow the remaining steps carefully.
- TWRP Custom Recovery for Galaxy S6 & S6 Edge
- Gapps for Android Pie
- Copy the ROM.zip and Gapps.zip files to your phone.
How to update Galaxy S6/S6 Edge to Android Pie via NexusOS custom ROM
- Boot into TWRP Recovery on Galaxy S6 or S6 Edge.
- To do so, turn off the phone. Press and hold Volume Up + Power + Home button to boot into TWRP. Release the keys once you see the recovery.
- In TWRP, click on Wipe > Advanced Wipe > Select Cache, Dalvik Cache, System, and Data > Swipe to wipe.
- Now get back to the main menu in TWRP.
- Click on Install > Install Zip > Locate and select ROM.zip file > Swipe to flash.
- Similarly, install the Google Gapps.zip file as well.
- After flashing both the files, reboot into the system.
- Your phone will boot up running on NexusOS Android Pie ROM.
That’s pretty much all with the installation of Android Pie on Galaxy S6/S6 Edge. The first boot can easily consume up to 10 minutes so wait patiently during this process. If something goes wrong with the phone, you always have the option to flash a stock ROM quickly. If you have any queries, feel free to reach out to me through the comments section below.