The team at OnePlus has been hard at work for producing a stable Android 9 Pie build for OnePlus 5 and OnePlus 5T. After few beta builds, we finally got our hands on a stable full ROM of OxygenOS 9.0.0. This is based on Android Pie 9.0 of course. Moreover, the update file here is actually a complete update and not partial. Therefore, even if someone is using modified OS on OnePlus 5 or 5T, they can use it directly.
OxygenOS 9.0.0 OnePlus 5 and OxygenOS 9.0.0 OnePlus 5T ROMs are pretty much the same except for one small difference. The 5T variant now has support for navigation gestures. It is however not present on 5 because of hardware home button. Since it is only made for phones with no hardware keys at the bottom, 5T is only one of these two to support it properly and logically.
In this guide, learn how to install stock OxygenOS 9 Full ROM on OnePlus 5 and OnePlus 5T. Don’t worry about download links. We’ve got you. These are listed below as well. For those who are interested, below is a brief overview of what to expect in this brand new update.
What’s new in Android Pie (Android 9)
The major addition to Android Pie is the learning AI. These are called adaptive modes. So how this works is that as you use the phone more and more, it learn user preferences and makes changes based on pattern behaviors. This includes examples like adjusting brightness and battery optimization in background.
If someone likes to up their phone’s brightness only when watching a video, then OS will learn this behavior and do it for you next time. Similarly, Adaptive battery monitors which apps you use and how you use them. The most inactive apps will be cut in background to save both data and power. The battery saver features are notorious for causing issues with certain apps. Here’s to hoping that it “learns” to not make those mistakes.
Another cool example of adaptive learning is playing the exact playlist your mostly listen to at certain times or places. For example, if someone has different playlist set up for workout, the phone will automatically play that playlist when you plug-in earphones or headphones. This feature seems pretty cool because it makes the device look really proactive.
Slices is probably the most exciting addition. To be fair, team behind Android deserves all the credit for implementing such cool and useful features with such precision. What this feature does is that when user searches for an app or app related activity, they automatically get bits of useful information and usable activities. For example, searching for Uber would bring up results for nearest driver etc even before you open the app. This makes it super fast and crisp to use such apps.
These gestures are common in hardware keys-less phones. These include swiping up to launch recent apps menu and more.
Improved Do-not-Disturb Mode
Schedule or activate this mode anytime. As soon as the do not disturb mode goes off, screen turns to gray-scale and mutes all notifications. If someone wants to just disconnect from digital world for a while, it one of the most aesthetically pleasing additions. It looks and works great!
Time Spent Dashboard
While this feature is not something new but it is still cool to see that Android now supports it by default. What it actually does is monitoring apps for their usage time. All apps and their usage times are listed in user-friendly manner.
It comes in handy when you put time limits on using any app. For example, if someone sets 1 hour daily limit for Facebook app, its icon will gray out when time has ended. It reminds users of what their goals are. Small touches like this can help make days more productive.
What’s new in OxygenOS 9.0.0 (OnePlus 5/5T)
- Brand new Android 9 Pie based UI.
- Navigation gestures added. These are not available for OnePlus 5 due to hardware home button.
- A new Gaming Mode 3.0. It has new notification system.
- The camera apps now has Google Lens Mode.
Apart from these, there are only system performance improvements and new security patches. Most of the changes are same as mentioned above in Android Pie features.
How to install OxygenOS 9.0.0 ROM on OnePlus 5/5T
Note that you should make a full backup of your datA before attempting to update the phone. The update may result in loss of user data. Also charge the phone above 50% before updating.
- OnePlus 5 OxygenOS 9.0.0 Full ROM Zip – Download Here
- OnePlus 5T OxygenOS 9.0.0 Full ROM Zip – Download Here
Note that the OTA update for OxygenOS 9 is incremental and may take some time to reach users in all parts of world. Therefore, manual update is the only solution. Follow the guides below to manually update OnePlus 5/5T to Android 9 Pie with OxygenOS 9.0.0 Full ROM Zip.
This method is for those who are using their phones in stock state. No changes like rooting were made. If you do not understand what rooting is, then this method is probably for you. Follow the steps below to install OxygenOS 9 on stock OP 5T/5 without a custom recovery.
- Download and put the zip file in “Download” folder in root of internal storage. By root we mean, the default directory. You can get here by pressing UP or back button on file manager until there are no more directories left to go back to.
- Next up, head over to Settings > System Update > Settings > Local Upgrade.
- Select the downloaded file here.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to flash the zip on phone.
- Once the installation starts, leave the phone as it is until it completes.
- Once installation is complete and phone restarts, head back to stock recovery. It may stay in recovery. In this case, wipe cache partition to ensure maximum performance and no glitches while using new update.
- Enter stock recovery in OnePlus 5/5T manually by turning off phone first and then hold volume down + power keys together until you see recovery.
- Use volume buttons to navigate and power button to select an option.
- Wipe Cache partition from here.
- Then restart the phone.
This method specifies the steps to update rooted OnePlus 5/5T to OxygenOS 9.0.0 and keep it rooted. In order for this to work, your phone must already be rooted of course. Follow the steps below.
- Head over to Magisk Manager > Uninstall > Restore Images. Don’t reboot.
- Now follow steps 1-6 from previous heading. (non-rooted users update method). Still do not restart the phone.
- Open Magisk > Install > Install > Install to Inactive/Second Slot (After OTA).
- Close background apps before installing magisk.
- Once the magisk installation is complete, restart the phone.
That’s it! Enjoy the latest Android Pie on both devices. Note that the update method for installing OxygenOS 9.0.0 ROM Zip on OnePlus 5 and OnePlus 5T is identical. Therefore, the above mentioned method works for both devices.
Feel free to leave your feedback and queries in the comments section below.