Sony Xperia Z3 Dual is another variant of Sony’s flagship device Xperia Z3. It has the model number D6633. Just like other variants of Xperia Z3, Z3 Dual has received the Android 5.0.2 Lollipop update. The build number for the lollipop update of D6633 is 23.1.1.E.0.1. It is different that any other Xperia Lollipop firmware. The 23.1.1.E.0.1 update for Xperia Z3 Dual is rolling out now and most of the users must have received the updated by now. The new update brings the material design and therefore it is the most interesting update for this device yet.
Android Power Users always root their devices after updating them. Sony Xperia Z3 Dual can be rooted on Lollipop 23.1.1.E.0.1 firmware as well. The rooting method used in this guide can be used on Z3 Dual with locked bootloader. However, most Android Power Users will unlock the bootloader in order to install custom kernel to tweak the device. The rooting method includes steps of downgrading the device, rooting it, installing custom recovery, and then flashing the 23.1.1.E.0.1 flashable pre-rooted firmware on the device to update and install Dual Custom recovery at the same time. The Dual Recovery that will be installed, will contain both Philz Touch Advanced CWM and TWRP custom recovery. Both of these custom recoveries are brilliantly developed and good for many things. Those who want to root D6633 23.1.1.E.0.1 firmware, must follow the guide given below to root their devices.
1. This Guide is Only for Xperia Z3 Dual D6633
This rooting method is only for Xperia Z3 Dual with model number D6633. The phone must be running Android 5.0.2 Lollipop firmware with 23.1.1.E.0.1 build number. You can confirm the phone model and software’s build number by opening About Phone in Settings menu.
2. Battery should be charged at least over 60%.
Make sure that your battery is charged enough to complete the flashing process. In case your battery is low and your device goes dead during the flashing process, you may end up soft bricking your device as it won’t complete the flashing process.
3. Backup everything!
Just to be on the safe side, you may consider backing up each and everything from your Android device. This is highly recommended so that in case anything goes wrong, you still have the access to all of your data and you can restore it immediately. You may backup everything as listed below.
- Backup SMS Messages
- Backup Call Logs
- Backup Contacts
- Backup Media – Copy your files manually to your PC or Laptop.
- Titanium Backup – If already rooted, use Titanium Backup to backup all of your apps, system data and other important content. If you haven’t rooted your device previously, skip this step.
- Backup Nandroid – If CWM or TWRP installed previously, otherwise skip this step and perform this at the end of flashing.
4. Enable USB Debugging Mode on your device.
Enable USB debugging mode on your device. To do so, tap settings>developer options>USB debugging. If you can’t find developer options in settings, then tap settings > about device and tap “Build Number” for 7 times and you’ll get em’ activated under settings.
5. Install and setup Sony Flashtool.
You must have installed Sony Flashtool. Find the full guide here.
After installing Sony Flashtool, open the Flashtool folder from the drive where you installed it. Now open Flashtool>Drivers>Flashtool-drivers.exe and install the Flashtool, Fastboot & Xperia Z3 Dual drivers from the list. If you do not find the Flashtool drivers in Flashmode, skip this step and install Sony PC Companion instead, for drivers support. [Important]
6. Use OEM data cable to establish connection.
Make sure that you use the phone’s original data cable to establish connection between your phone and the PC. Using a different data cable might result in interrupting the firmware installation.
7. Unlock Bootloader [Optional]
Use the following guide to unlock the bootloader of your Xperia device before proceeding.
8. Set Up ADB and Fastboot Drivers
Download and install ADB and Fastboot drivers on your computer. If you are using Windows, then you should use Windows 7 to use ADB Drivers. ADB Drivers for Mac and Windows are given below.
Steps For Rooting Z3 Dual D6633 23.1.1.E.0.1 Firmware
1. Downgrade to 23.0.F.1.74 firmware and Root It
- If you have not updated your devices from Android 4.4.4 firmware yet then you can skip the downgrading process.
- Those who have updated their devices to Android 5.0.2 firmware already, they must follow these steps.
- Download 23.0.F.1.74 ftf D6633 and flash it on phone using Flashtool Guide.
- Once downgraded, move on to step 5 for rooting it.
- Root your device using this root method for .74 Firmware
- Now download Dual Recovery Installer for Z3 Dual Z3-lockeddualrecovery2.8.14-RELEASE.installer.zip
- Unzip and connect the phone with PC and run the installer.
- It will install the Dual Recovery on Phone.
- Now move on to next step.
2. Make A Pre-Rooted Flashable Firmware For 23.1.1.E.0.1 FTF
- Download PRF Creator and install on your system.
- Download SuperSU zip and place anywhere on PC.
- Download 23.1.1.E.0.1 FTF and place it anywhere on PC.
- Download Z3-lockeddualrecovery2.8.xx-RELEASE.flashable.zip
- Now run PRFC and add all three required files in it.
- Then click on Create.
- Once the Flashable ROM is created, it will show the successful message.
- Do not touch any other option while creating the pre-rooted firmware.
- Now copy the pre-rooted firmware to the phone’s internal storage.
- Our work in this step is now done. Move on to next step.
3. Root and Install Recovery on Z3 Dual 5.0.2 Lollipop Firmware
- Custom recovery was installed in the first step.
- The pre-rooted firmware was created and copied to phone in next step.
- Now you have to turn off phone.
- Turn it on again and press volume up or down repeatedly to enter custom recovery.
- Click on install and locate the folder where you placed the flashable zip earlier.
- Tap on it and install it.
- Now reboot the phone.
- If phone is still connected to PC via USB cable, disconnect it.
- Now go back to the 23.1.1.E.0.1 ftf you downloaded in second step and copy it to /flashtool/fimrwares
- Open flashtool and click on lightning icon in the top left.
- Click on it and click on flashmode.
- Select the 23.1.1.E.0.1 firmware.
- In the right bar, in the exclude options, exclude System only while flashing. Leave every other options as it is. (Tick System Only)
- While flashtool prepares the software for flashing, turn off your phone.
- Keep the volume down button pressed and connect it to PC via USB cable.
- The button must be pressed during it.
- The phone will enter flashmode.
- Flashtool will automatically detect it and start flashing.
- After flashing phone will reboot and you will be done 🙂
Got any questions? Ask me in the comments below