Sony Xperia SP has been updated to a new firmware based on the build number 12.1.A.1.205, while the core remains the same as Android 4.3 Jelly Bean. The new update fixes some performance and stability issues, battery charging time has been improved, screen flickering and some other bugs have been fixed. If you happen to be Xperia SP owner and an Android power user, who recently updated to this latest firmware, you might be wondering how you can gain the root access on this new firmware and make your Xperia SP fly high once again.
Well, that’s what we are here for. In the following post we are going to gain root Sony Xperia SP C5302/C5303 running latest Android 4.3 Jelly Bean 12.1.A.1.205 firmware. You just need to follow this comprehensive guide carefully and break the jails on your device. Before we head towards the rooting instructions, let’s first go through a brief introduction of the root access in order to clear the confusions that the newbies may have.
Rooting your phone gives you complete access over all the data which is apparently locked by the manufacturers. This includes removal of the factory restrictions and making changes to the internal system and the operating system. Gaining the root access gives you the privileges to install various applications to enhance the performance of your device, allows you to remove the built-in applications/programs, helps you to upgrade the battery life of your device & install the apps which require the root access for the proper functionality and modify your device in so many other ways e.g using mods and custom roms. By installing custom recovery, you can flash custom roms in the phone easily. Custom recovery also let’s you backup your current rom and restore it in case of any mishap. There is a laundry list of things you can do after having your device rooted and installed the custom recovery, now once you’re rooted and have installed custom recovery, go ahead and enjoy it on your phone. Here’s our collection of 10 Best Root Apps.
Here are pre-rooting instructions:
- This guide is only for Sony Xperia SP C5303 or C5302. Do not try this on any other model, please check your device’s mode in Settings > About Device.
- The Root instructions are only for Sony Xperia SP C5303 or C5302 running latest Android 4.3 Jelly Bean 12.1.A.1.205 firmware. Check your firmware version in Settings > About Device and make sure that it matches the one mentioned here.
- Please make sure that your phone’s battery is charged at least over 60%. This is highly recommended in order to prevent any power issues during the recovery flashing process.
- Backup each and everything on your Android phone as follows:
- Backup all your important contacts, find the full guide here.
- Backup all your important sms messages, find the full guide here.
- Backup all your important call logs, find the full guide here.
- Backup all your important media content manually. (Copy to your PC.)
- Backup all your apps / data. If you’ve rooted your device, use Titanium Backup to do so. Follow the full guide here.
- Backup your current system using a custom recovery (CWM or TWRP) if you’ve flashed one. This is recommended in case something goes wrong with rooting your phone, you can use the custom recovery and return to the old working state of your system.
- Make sure that you read the instructions carefully and applied all precautionary measures. Let’s go ahead.
How To Root Xperia SP C5302/C5303 Running 12.1.A.1.205 Firmware:
- Download DoomLord Advanced Stock Kernel.elf file.
- Download Stock Kernel for Xperia SP C5302
- Download Stock Kernel for Xperia SP C5303
- Download & copy file to your phone’s SDcard. SuperSu.zip
- Open Sony Flashtool now.
- Connect your Xperia SP to your PC now. Make sure that the connection is up to the mark.
- Hit the smart lightening button on the right upper left side and select “Fastboot Mode.”.
- On the right side, click on “Reboot Device into Fastboot Mode.”
- If this doesn’t work for you, manually put your device into Fastboot Mode and connect it to your PC. To do so, turn off your Xperia device and now connect to your PC while keeping the Volume Up key pressed. As soon your PC detects your device,the blue LED will turn on showing fastboot mode.
- Now click on “Select Kernel to flash”.
- In the format selection, by default it will be “*.sin”. Change it to *.elf.
- Now select the DoomLord Advanced Stock Kernel.elf file that you downloaded first of all and flash it.
- This kernel will flash CWM recovery in your device. Disconnect your device now.
- Turn it on, as soon as you see the Sony Logo, press Volume – Key 5 to 6 times and you should see the CWM recovery interface now.
- Go to Mount/Storage and press Mount System if required.
- As soon as the system is mounted, choose install zip > choose zip from sd card > SuperSu.zip that you placed on your phone in the 2nd step and flash it.
- As soon as SuperSu.zip is flashed, turn off your device by keeping the power key pressed for a while or pulling out the battery. Don’t reboot it. [v.important]
- Now connect your device in fastboot mode once again.
- Open Flashtool once again > Click on small lightening button > Fastboot mode > Select Kernel to Flash.
- By default it will be *.sin format, so locate the file Stock Kernel.sin file for your device that you downloaded and flash it.
- Once kernel flashing is complete, reboot your device.
- Phewww! You’re rooted, locate SuperSu in app drawer.
- You can also verify root access by installing Root Checker app from Google Play store.
- That’s all!
We hope that you find this guide helpful. In case you got any queries or you are facing any difficulties, feel free to stop by the comment box below and drop us your words. We will get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks all!