The Honor 5X is yet another affordable handset from Huawei’s spin-off brand, Honor during 2015. The Honor 5X disclosed initially with EMUI 3.1 skin based on Android 5.1 Lollipop and slowly entered into EMUI 4.0 based Marshmallow. The software package is of course, very different from stock Android, but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Customizations are seen in the form of themes, transition animations, and home screen grid, and you also get some fun features like shake to re-align icons and auto-align. Quickly there is an Android 8.1 Oreo-based Custom ROM build to this device. Here is a simple guide on how to download and Install Official LineageOS 15.1 ROM on Honor 5X.
Great battery life, Premium metal build, Fast and accurate fingerprint scanner, Useful gesture controls with a scanner, Affordable price point are some of the key features. Honor 5X’s premium allure is let down by its plastic top and bottom edges. The edges are designed to look like metal and have a textured finish so you won’t notice them from a distance. But up close they look like they’ve been awkwardly bolted on and break the illusion that the Honor 5X is a top-end phone. The device features a 5.5-inch IPS screen with1080 x 1920 resolution & 401ppi density. This easily beat 2015 special affordable smartphone, the Moto G, which features a slightly disappointing 720p display.
LineageOS 15.1 ROM
The LineageOS is an AOSP based aftermarket custom ROM and is a continuation to the highly popular CyanogenMod ROM. It brings stock Android interface to your device along with a plethora of customizations.. It’s heavily skinned & tweaked for better performance. It has got all those features a common user needs. LineageOS ROMs are quite stable. They are ROMs just ported from the CM branch. No major changes are there between the initial LineageOS builds and the last CM builds. If you observe Google’s vanilla Android OS and Lineage OS, you’ll find a lot of granular settings in the latter. You can customize your device to your own taste and have more security options as well. You might experience random reboots and minor glitches in the functionality but its splendid customizations drop shadow over them.
Installing a custom ROM is quite simple and you will need a custom ROM like TWRP to install flashable ZIP files. As installing the ROM would wipe your device, make sure to take a nandroid backup. This ensures that you have a complete backup of your device in case you run into boot loop issue or a bricked device. However, the nandroid backup doesn’t include your internal storage. So, make sure to back up your photos and other important stuff on your internal storage to PC. So without any ado lets see how to Install Official LineageOS 15.1 ROM on Honor 5X.
- Charge your device at least 50% before flashing the ROM.
- Backup your device to make sure you’ve all the important data if something doesn’t go as per the plan.
- Make sure you have a proper TWRP installed on your device. Download the TWRP link here, and follow this guide to Install TWRP on any Android device.
Download the Gapps and Official OS ROM for Honor 5X to your device’s storage.
How to Install Official LineageOS 15.1 ROM on Honor 5X
- Make sure you have the TWRP recovery installed on your phone.
- Also, ensure that you have copied the Gapps and Official OS 15.1 ROM files after installing TWRP.
- Power down your smartphone.
- Boot in recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up and Power Button at the same time. When the screen flickers, release all buttons and you will see the recovery screen in a few seconds.
- Make a nandroid backup of your device in TWRP recovery. To do this, navigate to Backup option, select the partitions available and swipe right to make a backup.
- Format your device, once the backup is completed.
- In TWRP recovery, click on Wipe » Advanced Wipe. Select data, system, cache and, Dalvik-cache on this page and wipe them.
- In the TWRP, click on Install » Install Zip » Locate and select the Official OS ROM file. Swipe screen to flash this file.
- Similarly, flash the Gapps for Android Pie.
- In the end, get back to the main menu in TWRP and click on Wipe » Advanced Wipe » Select Cache & Dalvik Cache » Swipe screen to wipe.
- After wiping, reboot your device.
That’s all. The first boot will take some time as it needs to build the cache. Once the device boots up, you can see the Android Pie setup screen.